PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Ideas for a cool STR char

ElementalAaron
2020-03-28, 02:22 PM
Hello, all I am in need of help of thinking of cool ideas for a campaign that will be happening in a couple of months. The DM has told us we start at Lvl 5 and with an asi and a feat from Lvl 4. We will also be getting a feat or another asi with each asi improvement. The rest of the party will be having either be spell casters or a dex fighter/ranger so I want to play a STR char to even our party out and I was wondering with these extra custom options what can I do to be interesting. I do not want to min-max per say, but rather want to know any interesting/effective builds that use STR.

Boci
2020-03-28, 02:41 PM
Shield master paladin is pretty fun, high damage, a bit of emergency healing, and some extra options with the ability to knock monsters prone or shove them back. Won't work so well if the rest of the party are ranged attacks though.

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-28, 02:48 PM
What do you like to do, and how complex do you like your characters?

You can do something really simple and effective in-and-out of combat as a Samurai Fighter, or you can be a versatile and adaptive Cavalier+Ancestral Guardian.

It'd help a lot to know what some of your preferences are. Otherwise, we're throwing darts blind and hoping one sticks.

ElementalAaron
2020-03-28, 03:10 PM
What do you like to do, and how complex do you like your characters?

You can do something really simple and effective in-and-out of combat as a Samurai Fighter, or you can be a versatile and adaptive Cavalier+Ancestral Guardian.

It'd help a lot to know what some of your preferences are. Otherwise, we're throwing darts blind and hoping one sticks.

That is a fair point. I enjoy playing stuff like paladins since I like the versatility and some off healing, but I was also thinking about maybe going barbarian since I know I want to be playing a Half-Orc for this.

Boci
2020-03-28, 03:14 PM
That is a fair point. I enjoy playing stuff like paladins since I like the versatility and some off healing, but I was also thinking about maybe going barbarian since I know I want to be playing a Half-Orc for this.

Whilst half orcs obviously make good barbarians, they also make perfectly decent paladins. Paladins only need 14 charisma, they're not full casters, so assuming pointbuy a half-orc can go Str: 16, Dex: 10, Con: 14, Int: 10, Wis: 12, Cha: 14, which is great state array.

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-28, 03:14 PM

You'll get the most out of a build that can benefit from a lot of feats (a martial-esc class of some type), and a class that wants tons of stats (a MAD melee combatant).

A Paladin would fit the bill, but I think a particularly unique solution is the War Cleric. Warcaster, Heavy Armor Master, and a bunch of extra stats? Yeah, that'd work out nicely.

Otherwise, on the note of a Paladin, you can get extra value as a Conquest Paladin, since your increased stats will contribute well with your domination features. It's also a bit more reliant on Strength than the Cleric build, as you'll spend more time attacking.

ElementalAaron
2020-03-28, 03:32 PM
Alright after looking at more what my party is doing I think I am going to go to with a paladin(at least primarily) though I am unsure to pick from devotion or vengeance and I think I want to use Polearms.

Boci
2020-03-28, 03:35 PM
Alright after looking at more what my party is doing I think I am going to go to with a paladin(at least primarily) though I am unsure to pick from devotion or vengeance and I think I want to use Polearms.

Polarm mastery into sentinel is a powerful combo on any character, you can also take the feets in the other order. Devotion might be better, since dex based rangers should already be doing decent damage.

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-28, 03:44 PM
Polarm mastery into sentinel is a powerful combo on any character, you can also take the feets in the other order. Devotion might be better, since dex based rangers should already be doing decent damage.

Not sure if choosing Devotion to avoid being overly focused on damage is going to work out too well. One of the primary benefits of Devotion is enchanting your weapon to have an increased hit chance (often combined with GWM), and your other use of Channel Divinity is limited to specific monster types. Your options for Channel Divinity are basically limited to Fight These 3 Monster Types, or Deal More Damage.

Order, Conquest and Nature provide some Channel Divinity options that are neither monster-specific or focused around damage, if that's your shtick.

Talionis
2020-03-28, 04:00 PM
Strength Rogue with Barbarian 5 for Extra Attack and two rages. Ancestors Barb helps to make you sticky. Throw Axes. Go any Rogue you like but Thief makes you very mobile. Being mobile helps for you to keep people off the party. Rogue will allow you to have roles out of combat and expertise in Athletics means you can grapple and push like a champion. Also you are gaming the system with an extra ASI from Rogue.

CTurbo
2020-03-28, 04:02 PM
If you want a PAM Paladin I would go Variant Human and take PAM to start. That way you can put all your ASIs into Str/Cha. I'd go Devotion or Vengeance.

Boci
2020-03-28, 04:06 PM
If you want a PAM Paladin I would go Variant Human and take PAM to start. That way you can put all your ASIs into Str/Cha. I'd go Devotion or Vengeance.

They can do that anyway. They get feats and ASI, they don't need to choose.