PDA

View Full Version : Index [IC] Ptolus Chapter 1

VanceSaga
2020-03-28, 06:16 PM
Ptolus is a port city full of opportunities and the spire stands out in the distance. Four guards wearing the blue tunic over chainmail uniform of the City Watch and are checking the imperial identification papers at the South Gate. The device of Plotus is a golden hawk with a blue field on their shields. The South Gate is crowded with merchant wagons, many city hopefuls, adventurers from far and wide. Shiny blades, wild steeds and many came trying to strike rich, just like you. Most the people at the gates are humans but you can catch a glimpse of dwarves, elves and the occasional halfling or gnomes.

Vendors are lined up near the city outside wall, selling all kind of goods for the new visitors.

"Don't get lost with Madrid Map of Ptolus! 1 gold!"
"Got some fresh ale while you wait! Come drinK!"
"Are you hungry? Enjoy some sausage links!"

In front you, there are other adventurers waiting. It's a good time to start a conversation with them while waiting for your turn.

DaOldeWolf
2020-03-28, 11:17 PM
Miro is looking his surroundings carefully. Being a small creature in such a big place was quite the conundrum even with Fernir by his side. "Hello. its really taking a long time to let everyone pass, is this always the case?" Miro decides to ask to try to strike a conversation with anyone. It was better to get into the city accompanied by someone of greater height and as it always was with kobolds, there is a strenght in numbers.

CasualViking
2020-03-28, 11:35 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/7e/40/c9/7e40c9a003c731db9f58c167fc0cfcf8.jpg
Jandek Manescu (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2151858)
AC 20, Touch 16, FF 14, CMD 19|Fort +6 Ref +7 Will +2 (+10 vs charm/compulsion)|HP: 29/29

The tall human next to the kobold crouches down politely. "I do not know. It is my first visit as well". He points out the fox. "What a gorgeous creature. And well behaved. Is it your familiar?"

"I am Jandek, by the way. Jandek Manescu. Occult Scholar. I hear this place has the best research libraries".

The star-knife strapped to his belt, the shield on his back and the leather cuirass underneath his cloak suggests that the man is not entirely a bookworm.

NiKkatsu
2020-03-29, 02:57 AM
Towering over most, his armor glistening in the sun, Nyx, out of boredom and a dash of curiosity, listens to the conversation between the kobold and his polite interlocutor. He, too, was intrigued by the beautiful fox accompanying the scaly being.

He finds it interesting to meet a kobold here, waiting to enter Ptolus, just as he was. He didn't take such creatures for the adventuring types. Then again, he heard they were descended from dragons, so they must have some worth.

Nyx is still quite young for an elf, yes, but he has lived many lifetimes in comparison to such beings - and still has many more to live - so he can't help but admire their ardent passion in life. By watching this creature he starts to wonder how differently you must experience existence when everything you do is so fleeting. A life beginning and ending almost in the same breathe... It was a beautiful and terrifying thought which made the little beast all the more sympathetic to his eyes. He would certainly meditate on this thought later.

For now, with a smile, he listens ever so intently to the exchange between the two and notices the sacred weapon of his goddess strapped to the belt of the human. Now he is even more intrigued...

hannahbbug3
2020-03-29, 12:07 PM
Malgrim is standing off on his own, to the side of the group that has gathered nearby as he listens to the merchants hawk their wares. He's trying to figure out what to do - knowing that it would be dangerous to tackle the challenges of the city on his own, but what sort of group would want to team up with a hobgoblin?

...maybe the sort that takes no issue with speaking to a kobold, one of the other "monstrous" races of the world?

As soon as he sees that the small scaly-kind seems to be the center of attention, the hob makes his way over. A bit cautious, a bit curious. The human and the elf standing nearby are smiling and seem friendly enough, but he feels a bit of concern for the kobold, in case the creature is about to be the target of something malicious. On the other hand, if these two humanoids really were being courteous, they're just the sort he's been looking to team up with, so either way, he stands to gain from joining up with the group. He grunts as he approaches, offering the human and the elf a nod, before looking to the kobold and quirking his brow. "New in town?" he asks, the question directed to the group at large. "I am, as well. I was hoping to find a few fellow adventurers to tackle some of the dangers here in Ptolus alongside me," he says, reaching over his shoulder to tap the butt of his rifle to show he's well-armed and prepared for the dangers ahead.

DaOldeWolf
2020-03-29, 02:44 PM
Fernir is actually the one to respond. "I suppose you could say that in the most broaedst of terms though I prefer to be seen as an equal rather than a servant.". Miro smiles nervously. "I am Miro Shinescales, a caster of the arcane arts. And my loudmouthed companion is called Fernir. We have to this place to look for glory."

When Malgrim join in the concersation. He decides to greet him too. Looking at the two people who have approached and seemingly in similar position to him, he decided to make a proposal. "Why dont we look for a place together. In a huge place like this, its better to be accompanied. What do you think?"

CasualViking
2020-03-29, 02:52 PM
AC 20, Touch 16, FF 14, CMD 19|Fort +6 Ref +7 Will +2 (+10 vs charm/compulsion)|HP: 29/29

"Dangers? Well, for coin or other considerations, perhaps. I expect that I'll need more than the coin in my pocket to find the lore I'm looking for. Quite a bit more."

ProudGrognard
2020-03-29, 03:36 PM
Noman

Noman climbs down the cart and he nods politely to tne driver who gave him the ride.

"St. Tefrkos' blessings to you, dear driver. And remember my suggestion, you should really drink less while on the road"

Hearing the driver mutter behind him but paying no mind - truth is rarely welcome- Noman advances to the line of hopefuls, waiting to enter in. Just in front of him, the most interesting group of people is chatting. Curious, he joins closer.

" Excuse me for interrupting, but I am also new in town. I am called Noman, or Schemaphore Brother Noman of the Tefkrian Monastery if one wants to impress. I would very much like to enter Ptolus with a human, a kobold, an elf and a hobgoblin. It will be like taking part in a joke."

Rearranging his archers' gloves, he thinks things over, and adds

"But I perhaps should warn you. I am honest and perceptive by nature and I have sworn a Vow of Truth. Some people find me... difficult company. Nevertheless, I would very much like to accompany you"

NiKkatsu
2020-03-29, 08:57 PM
Nyx is surprised to be approached by the large goblinoid, and even more so when it suggests to team up. He is also amused that, without saying a single word he was not only recognized as a fellow adventurer, but apparently made a part of a group.
How was it that Desna could work in such mysterious ways? For it was undoubtedly her work - he could recognize her sense of humour - and if this was the path she had set out for him, he would gladly walk it. He couldn't help thinking that the whims of a deity completely elude him and he thought that for Desna, his own life was inconsequentially short, too.

He lets out an honest laugh before saying:
Kobold, Hobgoblin, Human, Half-Elf and Elf walk into a city... You are right: it does sound like an excellent joke. One I will gladly be a part of. My name is Nyx of clan Amakiir. Your proposition of working together certainly is a sensible - although surprising - one and, if you will have me, my blade should serve you well.

Then, turning to Noman he adds:
Well-met, short-ears. And fear not: honesty is always welcome. I find more worth in being brutally honest than lying to spare the ego. Trust is built on honesty.

ProudGrognard
2020-03-30, 12:06 AM
Noman

"Short-ears? That is a new one. I am usually called Pointy or Eary. Probably comes from associating mostly with humans. But your point is well taken.

So, should we move on?"

hannahbbug3
2020-03-30, 12:45 AM
"Malgrim," the hobgoblin introduces politely enough, though without a smile. He's come to realize some people are put off by his sharp teeth, so he doesn't smile very often, even if the company he's found seems to be jovial enough. "I believe it in our best interest to find a place to sit down, get to know one another better. Over a few drinks?" he suggests. "We can talk about our goals, and our abilities. See how they align. And, of course, discuss how we'll divvy up our findings, should we be successful. Always best to have that clear at the outset rather than argue about it later," he hums.

NiKkatsu
2020-03-30, 10:40 AM
to Noman:
Pointy? Eary? Are humans blind? Your ears are tiny... now these are long, pointy ears. No matter. Ears are ears are ears. But... wait. Do the humans use this denomination as an insult? What a slanderous thing to say. No. Take pride in your ears. They may be only half the size of mine, but they are still beautiful. Size doesn't matter.

then, answering to Malgrim:
I think drinks would be a fine start, yes. And knowing our individual strengths and weaknesses will allow us to cooperate more smoothly. Let's find a tavern, then. As soon as we get in...

ProudGrognard
2020-03-30, 11:38 AM
Noman

Noman smiles, a rare thing.

"I am starting to like this company. People who see things truly and speak their mind.

Let us go and discuss by all means. With no offense meant, I will buy the first round. If my brothers have not led me astray, there is a place here called Delver's Square which has an inn. It is where people of adventurous persuasions meet. Let us go there."

Noman has a Local average roll of 20 so I don't think that it is a stretch he would know the Inn.

CasualViking
2020-03-30, 01:30 PM

"A drink and a chat? Sounds grand. Today feels like a fortuitous day."

hannahbbug3
2020-03-30, 01:44 PM
Malgrim offers a half-smile as his proposal is met with agreement, and he nods to Noman. "By all means, then, lead the way," he says.

DaOldeWolf
2020-03-30, 03:45 PM
Miro found the idea of talking over a drink to be delightful."Count me in too!" Fernir glares at Miro and Miro quickly corrects himself. "I meant... count us both in. I just hope there are no issues Fernir sitting besides me on the table."