PDA

View Full Version : Help me think of fun combos

Aaedimus
2020-03-28, 10:23 PM
We're playing a pure combat 1 shot -> all strategy, mostly working through high numbers, traps and mobs (kobolds)

My build:

Human Variant Moon Druid (lvl 10)
Feats:
Warcaster
Mageslayer (DM also gave me a wand of magic missiles XD)
Mobile

Background (From guildmasters guide to Ravinica)
Rakdos guild: (adds certain spells to class pool)
Rakdos spells:
Cantrip fire bolt, vicious mockery
1st burning hands, dissonant whispers, hellish rebuke
2nd crown of madness, enthrall, flaming sphere
3rd fear, HASTE
4th confusion, wall of fire
5th dominate person

What are dome fun strategies and combos I maybe haven't thought of?

We had 2 encounters, one I ended up hasted as a giant skorpion,
The other I was hasted as a Air elemental.

Next, we're gonna be fighting in a forest, than a citadel.

I'm thinking in the forest, call lightning and earth elemental could be fun, because I can litterally run around burrowed, and not even risk being attacked, while I lightning strike the enemies.

Can tremorsense detect creatures in trees?

JakOfAllTirades
2020-03-29, 12:05 AM
We're playing a pure combat 1 shot -> all strategy, mostly working through high numbers, traps and mobs (kobolds)

My build:

Human Variant Moon Druid (lvl 10)
Feats:
Warcaster
Mageslayer (DM also gave me a wand of magic missiles XD)
Mobile

Background (From guildmasters guide to Ravinica)
Rakdos guild: (adds certain spells to class pool)
Rakdos spells:
Cantrip fire bolt, vicious mockery
1st burning hands, dissonant whispers, hellish rebuke
2nd crown of madness, enthrall, flaming sphere
3rd fear, HASTE
4th confusion, wall of fire
5th dominate person

What are dome fun strategies and combos I maybe haven't thought of?

We had 2 encounters, one I ended up hasted as a giant skorpion,
The other I was hasted as a Air elemental.

Next, we're gonna be fighting in a forest, than a citadel.

I'm thinking in the forest, call lightning and earth elemental could be fun, because I can litterally run around burrowed, and not even risk being attacked, while I lightning strike the enemies.

Can tremorsense detect creatures in trees?

If you're in the forest, and your enemies don't fly (or whatever) Plant Growth is potentially one of the most powerful spells in your arsenal. Reduce the ground movement rate of creatures in a 100 ft radius to one quarter speed with no save, no concentration, no limit on duration.

Combo this with AoE or ranged attacks while your victims are trying to escape from the Plant Growth area. Call Lightning is good. Ice Storm or Insect Plague would also work. Or try upcasting Erupting Earth?

I use Plant Growth as a FeyLock, not a Druid, so I'm used to working with a different spell list; I usually follow it up with Sickening Radiance. LOL

Edited to add a question: If plant growth is cast on an area with trees, will it affect the movement rate of creatures climbing in the trees?

TheUser
2020-03-29, 12:26 AM
Off the top of my head?

Combo 1:
Plant Growth + Maelstrom -> get slowly dragged toward the epicenter and be unable to get out.

Combo 2:
Turn into Earth Elemental; sit underground next to a caster using earth glide, let Mage Slayer procs go off while the enemy caster wonders WTF is going on (I prefer sentinel personally). Most spells require sight of the target and since you are sitting underground you can't be targeted. Want to make it even more of a cluster****? Drop a 5th level Fog Cloud on the whole encounter. You'll know where anyone touching the ground is (tremor sense) meanwhile everything in a 100ft RADIUS sphere is heavily obscured and effectively blind. Complete bedlam.

Combo 3:
Cast call lightning, Wild Shape into anything that flies and fly away while channeling bolts into enemies (limited area)

Combo 4 and 5:
Since you have Haste then casting Haste and turning into an Ankylosaurus can do 8d6 + 8 damage OR
transform into Quetzalcoatlus and since it's huge you can grapple medium creatures without a movement penalty -> Grab creature fly 160ft into the air and bam 16d6 damage.

Neoh
2020-03-29, 05:18 AM
I like the grapple druid, but it looks like you've already started so it's a bit too late to change your feats.

Would've gone Resilient (Con) at 4 and Prodigy (Athletics) at 8.
Summon 16 Raptors, transform into a Giant Scorpion, grapple 2 guys, and let the Raptors maul the enemy.

It's ANNOYING for your DM though, as he needs to keep track of 16 more creatures.

In terms of spells, pretty much everything I could think of has already been mentioned, I'm not a big Druid fan so I don't know too many things about them. You could still try the grapple summoner, less efficient but it might work.