PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Tools for Comparing Spell Lists

FaerieGodfather
2020-03-29, 12:17 AM
Specifically, is there a tool for comparing which classes get spells early?

I'm looking at converting a bunch of 3.5 Prestige Classes into Purple Duck's "Prestige Archetypes", and one thing that's holding me back is the Sublime Chord-- Bards getting dominate monster as a 6th level spell at 16th level is fine, but a Sublime Chord getting it as a 6th level spell at 12th or 13th level is problematic.

So... what other 3.PF Bard spells do I have to worry about, converting Bard from a midcaster to a full caster? And is there a tool that would allow me to more easily make this comparison with other midcasters?

Psyren
2020-03-30, 10:00 AM
Bards getting dominate monster as a 6th level spell at 16th level is fine, but a Sublime Chord getting it as a 6th level spell at 12th or 13th level is problematic.

...It is? The whole point of Sublime Chord is transforming a Bard into a Sorcerer-Lite, so getting spells at the same time (or even slightly after) a sorcerer would is more or less the point.

Anyway, I don't know about there being a tool but there have been community-created handbooks on this kind of thing in the past, like this one. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?445204-Lowest-level-versions-of-spells)

FaerieGodfather
2020-03-30, 10:28 AM
...It is? The whole point of Sublime Chord is transforming a Bard into a Sorcerer-Lite, so getting spells at the same time (or even slightly after) a sorcerer would is more or less the point.

A Sorcerer wouldn't have access to the spell until 18th level.

Kayblis
2020-03-30, 10:41 AM
...Bards don't get Dominate Monster as a 6th. It's a 9th level spell for all classes that get it, as far as I can tell. The SRD only lists Sor/Wiz 9, and D&D tools lists other 10 classes that all get it at 9th. Is there a source for that?

The few spells a Bard gets slightly earlier are offset by Sublime Chord requiring 10 levels of classes before it, so it's not a problem. When you get your 6ths, Wizards will have their 7ths, and you get 7ths at the same time a Sorcerer. I'm fine with the small power bump at levels 15+, it's really minor.

Psyren
2020-03-30, 10:57 AM
A Sorcerer wouldn't have access to the spell until 18th level.

Oh wait, my bad - you said dominate monster. But Bards don't get that?

FaerieGodfather
2020-03-30, 11:50 AM
I could have sworn... but neither PFSRD nor d20srd lists it as a Bard 6 spell.

The former does have it listed as a 6th level spell for the Standard Summoner, though.