PDA

View Full Version : Change Appearance question(s)

TigerT20
2020-03-29, 06:16 AM
In the changeling's Change Appearance trait, it is described as being unable to transform into a creature of a different size. However, there are some creatures that are between size categories - if we assume the heights given in the PHB are only averages, there are very short dwarves that are under 4 foot and therefore Small. This also applies to children of all races.
Would you let a Small creature with Change Appearance turn into a child/dwarf with stunted growth?

As well, how does the trait match up with enlarge/reduce? Would you allow an enlarged changeling to become an ogre or troll? What happens when the spell ends?
What about Wild Shape?

col_impact
2020-03-29, 06:19 AM
Changeling is bs U.A. material. Toss that bs out,

TigerT20
2020-03-29, 06:20 AM
Changeling is bs U.A. material. Toss that bs out,

Was it not included in Rising From the Last War?

col_impact
2020-03-29, 06:27 AM
Was it not included in Rising From the Last War?
Not AL legal.

Chronos
2020-03-29, 06:55 AM
And if the OP wants to play it anyway, in a non-AL game, what then?

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-03-29, 07:39 AM
That is a "Ask your DM" question.

Shapechanger
As an action, you can change your appearance and your voice. You determine the specifics of the changes, including your coloration, hair length, and sex. You can also adjust your height and weight, but not so much that your size changes. You can make yourself appear as a member of another race, though none of your game statistics change. You can’t duplicate the appearance of a creature you’ve never seen, and you must adopt a form that has the same basic arrangement of limbs that you have. Your clothing and equipment aren’t changed by this trait.

You stay in the new form until you use an action to revert to your true form or until you die.

To me it looks like you have a size limitation.

You can change into a giant, but you can't become huge, you will be just a smaller giant(a medium size one).
If someone cast enlarge on you you will become large giant and if someone reduce you. You will become a small giant.

You can look like everything you want as long as you are in the same size category as you will have without changing shape.

False God
2020-03-29, 10:07 AM
Shapechanger
As an action, you can change your appearance and your voice. You determine the specifics of the changes, including your coloration, hair length, and sex. You can also adjust your height and weight, but not so much that your size changes. You can make yourself appear as a member of another race, though none of your game statistics change. You can’t duplicate the appearance of a creature you’ve never seen, and you must adopt a form that has the same basic arrangement of limbs that you have. Your clothing and equipment aren’t changed by this trait.

You stay in the new form until you use an action to revert to your true form or until you die.

A short dwarf is not small. They are medium.

A tall halfling is not medium, they are small.

Creatures don't change size categories by benefit of being shorter or taller for their own race, that's some min/max mmo hitbox shenanigans can of worms right there. Children of the races may arguably be a size smaller, but unless there is some particular rule for that, I'm not gonna say "thems the rules". The rules above do not appear to add any limitations on height or weight, so as long as you remain medium you can be as corpulent(or not) as you want. I would assume you're allowed to appear as muscular (or not) as you want as well. So be as swole as you wish.

"Same basic arrangement of limbs" always throws me though. I imagine you can't form a tail if you don't have one, nor wings by the same token, but could you be missing an arm? Part of an arm? Could you appear as a heavily deformed member of a race, or would you have to see a heavily deformed member of that race first? Which begs the question: do they only duplicate appearances, or is that a secondary option? As long as they've seen "one human" can they take on any sort of "generic human"?

TigerT20
2020-03-29, 10:30 AM
Which begs the question: do they only duplicate appearances, or is that a secondary option? As long as they've seen "one human" can they take on any sort of "generic human"?

I would say it has to be parts they've seen before but they can mix n match. Have one persons hair, another's nose etc

HappyDaze
2020-03-29, 12:05 PM
Not AL legal.

Thank goodness some people play non-AL games, and some even exclusively play non-AL games.

JackPhoenix
2020-03-30, 12:14 PM
Not AL legal.

Perfectly AL legal. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z8Ws-HPlK-AMUPV4GrR6WqEwSira1ok3/view)

Keravath
2020-03-30, 12:28 PM
Perfectly AL legal. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z8Ws-HPlK-AMUPV4GrR6WqEwSira1ok3/view)

Just to clarify :) ... in the AL Eberron campaign ... perfectly legal. (not allowed in the Forgotten Realms AL campaign).

JackPhoenix
2020-03-30, 12:32 PM
Just to clarify :) ... in the AL Eberron campaign ... perfectly legal. (not allowed in the Forgotten Realms AL campaign).

Sure, I didn't feel the need to state what's written in the linked document.

Dankus Memakus
2020-03-30, 03:03 PM
In the changeling's Change Appearance trait, it is described as being unable to transform into a creature of a different size. However, there are some creatures that are between size categories - if we assume the heights given in the PHB are only averages, there are very short dwarves that are under 4 foot and therefore Small. This also applies to children of all races.
Would you let a Small creature with Change Appearance turn into a child/dwarf with stunted growth?

As well, how does the trait match up with enlarge/reduce? Would you allow an enlarged changeling to become an ogre or troll? What happens when the spell ends?
What about Wild Shape?

I would strictly adhere to the same size. However I read some solid arguments on using it during wild shape which would be fun