PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good fit class (low op)

3drinks
2020-03-29, 10:15 AM
I'm not looking to break a game here, but I just can't quite decide what class this concept should truly have, so I'd like to gauge some opinions. The character is of a Nobility background, as the "second prince" of an Elven family. Second, as he's got the royal blood, but he's not the one in line for the throne, and a virtual black sheep of the family. His race being Half-Elf may or may not be a reason he's looked at with such disdain to the rest of the family. Now, in 3.5 terms, my route would be Aristocrat 1/Truenamer 19. He'd wield a rapier and feign swordplay like his Elven family, but statistically speaking he's very average (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8), and thus he is not particularly adept at even his swordsmanship. In 5e terms, what class could I park this concept under? Official and Critical Role sources only, please.

A few thoughts I've had;

* Monk - for a black sheep to go off alone and live in a monastery is almost cliche, but this option makes sense for a variety of reasons in story telling. Monks care about a couple of different stats however, and I don't think the numbers listed work for it at all.
* Rogue - the jealousy of being a nobleman but feeling outside makes rogue feel like a natural choice, and his average stat array doesn't seem to hamper him too much. Rogues actively seeking out adventure for riches, stories, and more could easily draw the character out of a lifestyle he's likely feeling trapped in. Also being a nobleman would lend itself to having a variety of contacts one could rely on, for this type of work.
* Sorcerer/Bard - These also seem like natural cliches to take up, and his stat array can suit them (Sorcerer moreso). I'm not really excited for this because storytelling wise, it doesn't excite me as much.

I think this sounds like I'm favouring Rogue the most, but I want to see some other options from the community I didn't think of. TIA!

Draz74
2020-03-29, 10:31 AM
Bard seems like the most appropriate adaptation of a Truenamer.

If you go Rogue, look into Mastermind Rogue from XGE (or SCAG). Its main ability is to Help allies with their attacks from a ranged distance, which seems like it could fit the Truenamer-ish archetype too.

Samayu
2020-03-29, 02:44 PM
I was also thinking Mastermind.

But you mention some things he doesn't do. And some things *you* don't want to do. What do you think he does do, or that you want him to do?

3drinks
2020-03-30, 05:10 AM
I was also thinking Mastermind.

But you mention some things he doesn't do. And some things *you* don't want to do. What do you think he does do, or that you want him to do?

Hmm. I'd say he's a natural talker from the background but he's specifically not good at anything in particular. So I guess that implies that charisma is his strongest stat. He'd act as though his swordsmanship is as good as his family heritage, but in reality he's barely able to hit a practice dummy.

...I'm describing a Bard, aren't I? Or, a Sorcerer. Hmm.

JellyPooga
2020-03-30, 06:23 AM
With one of the only class features in the game that actively depends on a high Constitution, Barbarians tend to be pretty fit.

Nidgit
2020-03-30, 10:50 AM
You've basically only outlined your character's backstory and not really any way you actually want him to play. An idea like that could fit into pretty much any class. How do you actually want to play? Support or damage? Magic, martial, or both? Control or reactivity?

If those are the stats you have, I'd probably steer you away from any class that's particularly MAD. That means a pass on Monk, Paladin, Ranger, and maybe Barbarian. Moon Druid is typically the safest subclass for a character with low stats, though plenty of other SADer classes will do if that's not to your taste.

Grod_The_Giant
2020-03-30, 11:02 AM
The "Cleric, Druid, and Wizard" UA introduced a truenaming-themed Wizard subclass, Onomancy. Wizard in general is probably closest to the 3.5 Truenamer in terms of scholarly archetypes, though not in terms of "mechanically weak mess."

Warlock is thematically fitting for a black sheep, or maybe a Whispers Bard. And as Nidgit mentioned, Moon Druid is the most tolerant option for low stats, though it sounds like you're deliberately going for unoptomized.

KorvinStarmast
2020-03-30, 11:08 AM
I want to see some other options from the community I didn't think of. TIA! Half elf Black Sheep of the Family screams "Warlock" to me. I suggest Archfey/Pact of the Chain.
Mine was fun.

Have fun.

CTurbo
2020-03-30, 12:04 PM
I'd make a Jack of All Trades, but master of none kind of character with this. Bard obviously. Swords or Valor for the medium armor and basic combat abilities.

3drinks
2020-03-30, 02:37 PM
The "Cleric, Druid, and Wizard" UA introduced a truenaming-themed Wizard subclass, Onomancy. Wizard in general is probably closest to the 3.5 Truenamer in terms of scholarly archetypes, though not in terms of "mechanically weak mess."

Warlock is thematically fitting for a black sheep, or maybe a Whispers Bard. And as Nidgit mentioned, Moon Druid is the most tolerant option for low stats, though it sounds like you're deliberately going for unoptomized.

Yes, I'm deliberately keeping the power level unoptimized, one reason for not considering Wizard. But that Onomancy is literally a Truenamer, and that I really like.

I'd make a Jack of All Trades, but master of none kind of character with this. Bard obviously. Swords or Valor for the medium armor and basic combat abilities.

Definitely not geared for combat use. Support at best, would not hesitate to run away if threatened directly.

Quietus
2020-03-30, 02:56 PM
Bard or Warlock are where I'd go with this. I'd probably lean more to Warlock, because you don't want him to do "any one thing particularly well", and Bards get Expertise.

MagneticKitty
2020-03-31, 10:21 AM
Sounds like a "I wasn't able to obtain power myself so I must bargain for it" setup to me. Warlock maybe? You could do pact of blade, you bargained with a sentient weapon to get good at sword play.

3drinks
2020-03-31, 10:07 PM
I started playing around on d&dbeyond to look at features, sorcerer did check some boxes, and seeing cha as best stat fit well with the idea of being a prince. Of course I dont have all the options because screw buying the digital cash grab books, but it was nice to see that laid out in front of me.

I'll be messing with some other options for sure, but this is what I have now I like the spell load out for the brief "disable and run away" strategy, rather than outright destruction. Firebolt is just so good though, wow I can't believe that's a cantrip.

Next spell is charm person.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/3drinks/characters/25852924

CTurbo
2020-04-01, 12:13 AM
I started playing around on d&dbeyond to look at features, sorcerer did check some boxes, and seeing cha as best stat fit well with the idea of being a prince. Of course I dont have all the options because screw buying the digital cash grab books, but it was nice to see that laid out in front of me.

I'll be messing with some other options for sure, but this is what I have now I like the spell load out for the brief "disable and run away" strategy, rather than outright destruction. Firebolt is just so good though, wow I can't believe that's a cantrip.

Next spell is charm person.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/3drinks/characters/25852924

I would start with 8 Str, 12 Dex, 14 Con, 9 Int, 10 Wis, and 14 Cha. It just doesn't make sense to start 13 Con and 15 Cha, and I wouldn't want a 9 Dex on a squishy caster for a number of reasons.

Devils_Advocate
2020-04-02, 06:02 PM
he's specifically not good at anything in particular.
If anything, that suggests to me that his class should lack synergy with his Ability scores. A Sorcerer with good Charisma is good at casting his spells. How about a Ranger with good Charisma but poor Dexterity, Wisdom, and Strength? Would proficiency with his rapier still make him too martially competent?