PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Shapechange and True Polymorph Handbooks?

Eldariel
2020-03-30, 07:38 AM
Is it really the case that nobody has actually done a handbook on these two expansive, impossibly broad spells? Shapechange in particular, with its change/round mechanic, more or less requires a broad array of creature knowledge to truly use effectively. It's fine to turn into a Planetar, shoot things in the face with your Holy Weapons, and call it a day but there's a world of options up there all with their own quirks that happen to suit a situation or another.

Galithar
2020-03-30, 07:43 AM
Wouldn't that just be the Monster Manual?

But seriously, I haven't seen anything of this sort. Maybe we could collect ideas here and at least create a rough guide on the forum? It wouldn't be perfect and someone would need to either do all the work themselves, or collect and format everyone else's ideas.

MaxWilson
2020-03-30, 08:39 AM
Is it really the case that nobody has actually done a handbook on these two expansive, impossibly broad spells? Shapechange in particular, with its change/round mechanic, more or less requires a broad array of creature knowledge to truly use effectively. It's fine to turn into a Planetar, shoot things in the face with your Holy Weapons, and call it a day but there's a world of options up there all with their own quirks that happen to suit a situation or another.

Second-best one I know: True Polymorph your Simulacrum into a Radiant Idol (Rising From the Last War) for at-will Cure Wounds and solid combat abilities and other spellcasting (Raise Dead).

Best one I know: True Polymorph into an Atropal and conjure an unlimited number of Wraiths (which may or may not remain permanently under your control even after True Polymorph ends).

col_impact
2020-03-30, 07:42 PM
Mind Flayer and Beholder are good shapechange targets, especially with certain magic items.

Shapechange is definitely better than True Polymorph. There are some super secret sauce stuff to discover on your own.