PDA

View Full Version : Is an “impersonation” / disguise-based build feasible for a Small-sized race?

Trustypeaches
2020-03-30, 11:35 AM
I’m currently putting together an Aberrant Mind Sorcerer for an upcoming campaign, and was considering taking the actor Feat and Alter Self spell for impersonation and disguise based shenanigans. I’m deciding between two races: Half Elf or Halfling, and the major point of contention for me is whether Halflings are well-suited to impersonation work.

Disguise Self specifies you can only appear one foot shorter or taller, while Alter Self specifies you cannot change your size. To my mind, both of these put limits on what Halfling’s can disguise themselves as since most humanoid races are Medium Sized.

Are there ways to work around this limitation? Or is it less limiting than it seems? Has anyone played a small race with this kind of build, or seen one at their table?

Appreciate all input, thanks 😊

elyktsorb
2020-03-30, 11:47 AM
I’m currently putting together an Aberrant Mind Sorcerer for an upcoming campaign, and was considering taking the actor Feat and Alter Self spell for impersonation and disguise based shenanigans. I’m deciding between two races: Half Elf or Halfling, and the major point of contention for me is whether Halflings are well-suited to impersonation work.

Disguise Self specifies you can only appear one foot shorter or taller, while Alter Self specifies you cannot change your size. To my mind, both of these put limits on what Halfling’s can disguise themselves as since most humanoid races are Medium Sized.

Are there ways to work around this limitation? Or is it less limiting than it seems? Has anyone played a small race with this kind of build, or seen one at their table?

As someone who plays halflings near constantly (because I'm afraid of rolling 1's) I can say that yes, it does matter. Though it also matters in different ways. Chances are a half elf isn't going to be able to disguise as a smaller race. So I'd base your decision on what you expect you'll need to be disguised as more often. You can also get a little bit creative with halflings in terms of making them larger, things you can wear to appear taller aren't uncommon, and could be worked into a disguise if needed. A medium sized creature can't make themselves look any smaller than what disguise self offers. But on the flip side, having a halfling on raised shoes is going to make it a harder disguise to pull off, seeing as if that is revealed it's a dead giveaway.

Segev
2020-03-30, 12:09 PM
It requires a different build, but a Warlock with Misty Visions and minor illusion and access to unseen servant (preferably both as a ritual and available to cast on a moment's notice for emergencies) could conceivably make any disguise he wanted with a ventriloquist act. Silent image of the person you want to pretend to be, and minor illusion to give the image speech. Unseen servant is so that you can have the projection pick things up and manipulate them. Just don't let people touch it if you can avoid it.

In 5e, Halflings "average" about 3 feet tall. If you're average size, then, a disguise self can get you up to 4 feet, which is at least enough to feign being a short elf or moderately short dwarf.

Play an "unusually tall" halfling at 3'6" or even 3'8", and disguise self can get you up to 4'6" or 4'8". Still very short for a human, but actually well within elf and dwarf height ranges.

If you use a Disguise Kit, rather than disguise self, you can incorporate stilts and other things to further enhance your height. It's a lot harder to make yourself appear significantly shorter than you are.

Two average-sized halflings stacked up in a coat would easily be 5 feet tall, assuming the top halfling loses a foot of height to his legs being "seated." Again, you'll want proficiency with a Disguise kit, but the guy on the bottom can probably provide a Help action to your efforts to impersonate.

There's also the enlarge/reduce spell, though its duration and need for Concentration will be a bit painful.

MaxWilson
2020-03-30, 12:15 PM

I think it all depends on whether you'd rather spend your career impersonating adults or children.

Segev
2020-03-30, 12:24 PM
I think it all depends on whether you'd rather spend your career impersonating adults or children.

True! A halfling could easily be a human, elf, or dwarf child with the right disguise. Actor feat would help greatly. And, of course, he can be a halfling, gnome, goblin, kobold, or any other sort of small creature adult.

Trustypeaches
2020-03-30, 12:44 PM
I'm not so worried about not being able to find something to disguise myself as in a pinch. I'm worried about not being able to impersonate specific people.

We ambush the cultist leader, and need someone to go out and diffuse the group somehow. But alas, the cult leader is a 6 ft tall human.

Segev
2020-03-30, 12:56 PM
I'm not so worried about not being able to find something to disguise myself as in a pinch. I'm worried about not being able to impersonate specific people.

We ambush the cultist leader, and need someone to go out and diffuse the group somehow. But alas, the cult leader is a 6 ft tall human.

No different than a half-elf impersonator when the cult leader is a 3-foot tall gnome.

diplomancer
2020-03-30, 03:26 PM
No different than a half-elf impersonator when the cult leader is a 3-foot tall gnome.

True, but, at least in my experience, most villains tend not to be of small races.

MaxWilson
2020-03-30, 03:47 PM

In this case I'd go for the medium-sized PC. Although if you're in Eberron, a Changeling druid might be even better, since (1) shifting is free and no-concentration, and (2) if you need to impersonate someone small like a halfling cult leader you can wildshape into a Baboon or Flying Monkey (size: Small) and then use your Changeling abilities to reshape your form and voice into a halfling, although the DM might rule that you're limited to grunting in the cult leader's voice.