PDA

View Full Version : Halberd Expert [Optimization]

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-23, 10:09 PM
Hello fellow playground optimizers, I have a task for thee. I want to create a Halberd Expert (not the class). Combining the best of the Halberd into one character at 12th level.

I was going to start off with 2 levels of fighter (for the feats) and continue with Warblade and Barbarian (lion totem for pounce). 32 point-buy, any wizard's or Dragon Magazine resource available, race: human, two flaws.

So far I was focusing on feats then using that to partially determine stats. The feats I was thinking of were:
{table=head]Feat Name|Source|Min. Lvl
Shield and Polearm Sytle|DR331|1
Shorten Grip|DR331|1
Spinning Halberd|CW|1
Combat Reflexes|PH|1
Two-Weapon Fighting|PH|1
Weapon Focus|PH|1
Haft Strike|DrC|1
Power Attack|PH|1
Vault|DrC|1
Leap Attack|CW|5
Combat Expertise|PH|1
Improved Trip|PH|1
Exotic Weapon Proficiency|PH|1
[/table]
Variants of note: Lion Totem Barbarian gets pounce at 3rd level instead of 1st, the TWF tree is combined into 1 feat (higher dex is not needed).

So, suggestions, comments, whatever.

Nowhere Girl
2007-10-23, 10:15 PM
You could nix Shorten Grip since halberds aren't treated as reach weapons (for whatever reason).

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-23, 10:27 PM
You could nix Shorten Grip since halberds aren't treated as reach weapons (for whatever reason).

Huh, you're right. Oh well, I guess Long Strike allow some versatility, does anyone know of a better feat to make a reach attack?

TimeWizard
2007-10-23, 10:29 PM
With a spiked gauntlet and a reach weapon you threaten 10', which is often overlooked. I'd say push those AoO's.

Person_Man
2007-10-23, 10:48 PM
Halberds don't have reach, and therefore cannot be used with Shield and Pike Style.

Nowhere Girl
2007-10-23, 11:09 PM
Grab Improved Unarmed Strike/Snap Kick/Superior Unarmed Strike instead and toss in an extra attack via kick. If not completely optimal, it's at least fun and flashy, and it has the benefit of being usable along with a standard action attack (or strike, if you're a martial adept).

Reel On, Love
2007-10-23, 11:13 PM
Halberds don't have reach, and therefore cannot be used with Shield and Pike Style.

Teh lulz: they ensue!

TheOOB
2007-10-23, 11:31 PM
With a spiked gauntlet and a reach weapon you threaten 10', which is often overlooked. I'd say push those AoO's.

The trouble with the spiked gauntlet strategy is that you have to enchant it seperatly from your main weapon, and any weapon based feats you have (if any) won't apply to it. Short haft or spiked chains are the optimal solution.

EDIT: Plus, sense all pole-arms are 2H, a DM is fully within their right not to let you use a spiked gauntlet while wielding one. Armor spikes are a slightly better solution because they do not use your hands.

AtomicKitKat
2007-10-24, 02:06 AM
If you can afford to change the race, Gnolls and Volodni(those woody humanoids) from Unapproachable East get access to a Feat in the same book which takes advantage of their size(which is near the upper limits of Medium) to turn their attacks with Spears and presumably, Halberds, into reach attacks until their next turn. Likewise, you could probably make it available to any Medium creature which is taller than about 7'6"(Jotunbrud from Player's Guide to Faerun or Races of Faerun? It's in one of those books, and should make any Human grow up to 6'6" at a minimum, 8' maximum, with almost 2/3 of them falling above 7'6").

Mr.Moron
2007-10-24, 04:17 AM
What about using the Heavy Poleaxe from CWar(PG154,157) as a substitute? As presented it's basically just a "Big Halberd", heck according to CAdv(PG116) it can be treated as Halberd for taking feats (wait... does that extend beyond Focus/Specialization?). Well, assuming that is legal it'd solve the reach issue at least. Sure it costs the proficiency feat, but you seem to be losing more than 1 feat to the reach problem anyway.

EDIT: D'oh, It can't be used to make trip attacks. Heh, kind of throws that option out the window.

Reel On, Love
2007-10-24, 04:23 AM
EDIT: D'oh, It can't be used to make trip attacks. Heh, kind of throws that option out the window.

Is it exotic? You could take a level of Exotic Weapon Mastery and the Exotic Trip feat, if it is.

Mr.Moron
2007-10-24, 04:27 AM
Is it exotic? You could take a level of Exotic Weapon Mastery and the Exotic Trip feat, if it is.

Yeah it is, good thinking! That really only leaves the question if the rule that allows it to work with weapon focus etc, would also allow it to work with "Spinning Halberd".

Reel On, Love
2007-10-24, 04:38 AM
Yeah it is, good thinking! That really only leaves the question if the rule that allows it to work with weapon focus etc, would also allow it to work with "Spinning Halberd".

Technically? No. CAdv lets it count as a halberd for those specific feats--and given that CAdv was published after CWar, they could've included Spinning Halberd if they'd wanted to. Maybe they thought it doesn't make sense (the haft is too long), which is true; maybe they never thought about it. Either way, RAW, it doesn't.
That's not to say that it shouldn't be pretty easy to convince a reasonable DM, though.

BTW, I meant the Exotic Trip stunt, not feat.

Saph
2007-10-24, 05:48 AM
Taking the first level in Barbarian rather than Fighter would get you more HP and skill points.

Other than that, I got nuthin'.

- Saph

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-24, 01:21 PM
I'm sure I can get Spinning Halberd to work for a Heavy Poleaxe. And Exotic Weapon Master it is. So far I'm planning Barbarian 1/Fighter 2/Barbarian 3/Exotic Weapon Master 1/Warblade 5 or should I just finish it out with Crusader or Barbarian?

Unfortunately, I'm two feats over what I get with that build, three if I don't get Warblade 5. I guess I can wait on Vault and Leap Attack and not focus on charging so much.

cupkeyk
2007-10-24, 01:55 PM
with spinning halberd, you can now deal all three weapon damage types with a halberd. You can now take piercing melee weapon mastery and driving attack, bludgeoning melee weapon mastery and crushing blow, and slashing melee weapon mastery and slashing flurry for a lot of combat options and eventually weapon supremacy.