PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Teach land animal tricks to accept the Fly spell

TallerSpine
2020-03-30, 07:21 PM
How many trick(s) would you suggest to teach your land-based animal companion so that it would accept the Fly spell (or any other spell that allows it to leave the ground)? I have not found this in any of the 3.5 source material. And what would you call these tricks? What about travel on a flying carpet?

I was thinking:
Accept Flight
Hold but don't rip

Two should be enough, right?

Gruftzwerg
2020-03-30, 09:56 PM
How many trick(s) would you suggest to teach your land-based animal companion so that it would accept the Fly spell (or any other spell that allows it to leave the ground)? I have not found this in any of the 3.5 source material. And what would you call these tricks? What about travel on a flying carpet?

I was thinking:
Accept Flight
Hold but don't rip

Two should be enough, right?

Dunno for sure, but IIRC you don't need to in 3.5
If you get access to fly in 3.5, it is assumed that you automatically know how to fly. In pathfinder it is a separate skill, so dunno if you would need it there. But for 3.5 as far as I can tell, your animal automatically knows how to use the fly spell. There is no fly skill or feat you need to fly. Only the movement mode and that you get via the spell/item.

rel
2020-03-31, 12:42 AM
A trick for each movement mode and maybe separate tricks for using particularly finicky items doesn't seem too unreasonable.
Ignoring it is also fine.

It mainly depends on how often the tricks and animal handling come up in your game. You definitely don't want this to be the only time tricks come up.

If you do go the tricks route emphasise the difference between the trained animal and the untrained one. The monkey untrained in flying carpet can sit on the back while you fly it around. the trained monkey can pilot the carpet and bring it to you on command.
You can happily ride your air walking horse into the sky but without the training it tends to stay on the ground when operating independently.

Thurbane
2020-03-31, 05:51 PM
If you get access to fly in 3.5, it is assumed that you automatically know how to fly. In pathfinder it is a separate skill, so dunno if you would need it there. But for 3.5 as far as I can tell, your animal automatically knows how to use the fly spell. There is no fly skill or feat you need to fly. Only the movement mode and that you get via the spell/item.

Indeed - by RAW, the animal doesn't need any special training to use the benefits of a Fly spell.

The only vaguely similar thing I know of in the rules is the Shrink Collar (A&EG p.80), where if it is put on a creature of Int 2 or lower, it has to make a will save or become panicked by the effect.

TallerSpine
2020-04-01, 02:19 PM

Actually, I found the reference I was looking for. Under Air Walk:

You can cast air walk on a specially trained mount so it can be ridden through the air. You can train a mount to move with the aid of air walk (counts as a trick; see Handle Animal skill) with one week of work and a DC 25 Handle Animal check.

So, I think I will go with that.

A trick for each movement mode and maybe separate tricks for using particularly finicky items doesn't seem too unreasonable.
Ignoring it is also fine.

It mainly depends on how often the tricks and animal handling come up in your game. You definitely don't want this to be the only time tricks come up.

If you do go the tricks route emphasise the difference between the trained animal and the untrained one. The monkey untrained in flying carpet can sit on the back while you fly it around. the trained monkey can pilot the carpet and bring it to you on command.
You can happily ride your air walking horse into the sky but without the training it tends to stay on the ground when operating independently.

Thank you for mentioning Air Walk. I checked that spell, and it has the information I am looking for.