PDA

View Full Version : Movies Are These Martial Arts Movies Any Good?

Palanan
2020-03-30, 10:28 PM
I’ve been craving some quality martial arts movies, and there are several recent titles that I’ve been wondering about:

Shadow. From the preview it looks weird and moody, which I could enjoy. But it also seems to be shot in a stylized color scheme, white and black and grey, which given the title feels rather arty and pretentious. Also, whirling razor umbrellas are a new one for me.

Reign of Assassins. I watched a clip on YouTube about the beginnings of a romance between Michelle Yeoh’s character and a local guy. That was lovely in itself, but the only preview I’ve been able to find is rather generically cheesy. Not sure which really represents the movie as a whole.

Warriors of the Nation. From the preview it seems to be set roughly in the same period as Fearless, with the same political context, but much more of a straight action flick. Lone hero, White Lotus Society, yadda yadda. Probably skippable unless it has hidden depths.

14 Blades. Looks very actiony, but otherwise I can’t make any sense of what it’s supposed to be about.

So, are any of these any good?

Kitten Champion
2020-03-30, 11:08 PM
I’ve been craving some quality martial arts movies, and there are several recent titles that I’ve been wondering about:

Shadow. From the preview it looks weird and moody, which I could enjoy. But it also seems to be shot in a stylized color scheme, white and black and grey, which given the title feels rather arty and pretentious. Also, whirling razor umbrellas are a new one for me.

I really enjoyed Shadow, it has a suitably Shakespearean sort of plot with some great art direction. Even ignoring the martial arts and more tragic elements, it's actually a pretty great thriller.

I wouldn't call it an especially pretentious movie, just deftly filmed in its own aesthetic. Which is far more subtle than a lot of American stylized films, like, say, the Frank Miller movie adaptations.

14 Blades. Looks very actiony, but otherwise I can’t make any sense of what it’s supposed to be about.

It's relatively fast paced, there's a lot happening, and it isn't always coherently communicated. I don't know if I'd recommend it generally, but I especially wouldn't go into it if you're not comfortable remembering details and following it keenly. I watched it with my friends and spent a 1/4 of the actual time answering questions, and a lot my responses were "I think it's like this, maybe?".

Otherwise, I do remember solidly enjoying Reign of Assassins, but it's been too long for me to say as to why.

comicshorse
2020-03-31, 03:09 PM
Reign of Assassins. I watched a clip on YouTube about the beginnings of a romance between Michelle Yeoh’s character and a local guy. That was lovely in itself, but the only preview I’ve been able to find is rather generically cheesy. Not sure which really represents the movie as a whole.

I saw this ages ago and while it didn't leave a huge impression on me I do remember I enjoyed it. Though, checking my shelves, not enough to keep it

Clertar
2020-03-31, 03:54 PM
Shadow is brutal, go for it.