PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Mind Shielding vs Vow of Peace

Lazarock
2020-03-31, 05:24 AM
Hey !

I'd like to know if Mind Shielding can protect someone from the aura gained by someone with "Vow of Peace" ?

It's said that the aura is a mind-affecting, supernatural compulsion, so I think that Mind Shielding doesn't protect, but I want to be sure about that...

Telonius
2020-03-31, 06:51 AM
It depends on how exactly you're protecting yourself. If it's a Ring of Mind Shielding, that doesn't offer any protection. The ring only gives immunity to "detect thoughts, discern lies, and any attempt to magically discern her alignment." Vow of Peace's Calming Aura isn't any of those, so you'd be affected by it.

The Mind Blank spell would probably work:

The subject is protected from all devices and spells that detect, influence, or read emotions or thoughts. This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects. Mind blank even foils limited wish, miracle, and wish spells when they are used in such a way as to affect the subject’s mind or to gain information about it. In the case of scrying that scans an area the creature is in, such as arcane eye, the spell works but the creature simply isn’t detected. Scrying attempts that are targeted specifically at the subject do not work at all.

From Vow of Peace:

Creatures within the aura must make a successful Will save (DC 10 + one-half your character level + your Cha modifier) or be affected as by the calm emotions spell. Creatures who leave the aura and reenter it receive new saving throws. A creature that makes a successful saving throw and remains in the aura is unaffected until it leaves the aura and reenters. The aura is a mind-affecting, supernatural compulsion.

The feat affects people as though it's a spell that influences emotions, and is specifically called out as a mind-affecting compulsion effect; so Mind Blank would work against it.

Lazarock
2020-03-31, 07:12 AM
It depends on how exactly you're protecting yourself. If it's a Ring of Mind Shielding, that doesn't offer any protection. The ring only gives immunity to "detect thoughts, discern lies, and any attempt to magically discern her alignment." Vow of Peace's Calming Aura isn't any of those, so you'd be affected by it.

The feat affects people as though it's a spell that influences emotions, and is specifically called out as a mind-affecting compulsion effect; so Mind Blank would work against it.
OK !
I was thinking of the effect of a ghostly visage :
Mind Shielding (Ex): When attached to a host, a ghostly visage protects the host from mind-affecting spells and effects. This ability is similar to a mind blank spell, but does not protect the creature from divination spells that are not mind-affecting. In essence, the ghostly visage confers its undead immunity to mind-affecting spells upon the host.

Similar of the spell, but doesn't specify that it counter supernatural part

Psyren
2020-03-31, 12:03 PM
Yes, the ghostly visage would defeat that aura - it works like the calm emotions spell.