PDA

View Full Version : Items that grant psionic powers?

noce
2020-03-31, 08:09 AM
I'm feat starved as hell, and I need a swift manifestation power costing just 1pp, to couple with Linked Power.
One example could be Adrenaline Boost.

I already know about Hidden Talent and Expanded Knowledge feats. I also know about Illithid feats.
I know about dorjes, but I cannot use Linked Power with a dorje.
I know about psicrowns, but I cannot afford one of them yet.

Is there any other magic item that lets you manifest a power outside your known list?
Or, more generally, is there any other way that lets me manifest a swift power at 1pp?

PS: I'm an Ardent. Yes, I know about Physical Power mantle, but I prefer to keep the build as is.

ciopo
2020-03-31, 01:40 PM
psicrowns behaves exactly like dorjes, in that they are a standard action "power trigger activation method" , if a psicrown would work for you, so would a dorje... I think

or, alternatively, psicrowns wouldn't work, either?

I was about to suggest simpyl to make a custom item equivalent to "use activated cast spell X N times a day", except manifest power instead of cast spell, but I suspect that's no good for you

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-03-31, 02:06 PM
I'm feat starved as hell, and I need a swift manifestation power costing just 1pp, to couple with Linked Power.
One example could be Adrenaline Boost.

I already know about Hidden Talent and Expanded Knowledge feats. I also know about Illithid feats.
I know about dorjes, but I cannot use Linked Power with a dorje.
I know about psicrowns, but I cannot afford one of them yet.

Is there any other magic item that lets you manifest a power outside your known list?
Or, more generally, is there any other way that lets me manifest a swift power at 1pp?

PS: I'm an Ardent. Yes, I know about Physical Power mantle, but I prefer to keep the build as is.The MIC says that you can craft psionic versions of magic items. Get yourself some arcanist psionicist gloves. A few times per day, you increase the ML of a 1st level power by +2. They're cheap, so either grab a few pairs or add the abilities of a second pair of gloves to the first pair (as per the rules in the MIC for combining item abilities). If you had lots of WBL and/or were high level, I'd have plenty more ideas for you, such as crafting metamagicpsionic rods using the MIC psionic item conversion rules I mentioned earlier and binding one to your hands chakra. Feel free to add the metapsionic rod ability to the above psionicist gloves and bind those. Then you gain +1 ML from manifesting a power using the rod ability. Feel free to add multiple metapsionic rod abilities to one item. Note that you can only use one "rod" per manifestation, according to the metamagic rod rules, but there's nothing preventing you from using multiple metamagic feats from a single "rod" simultaneously.

Linking synchronicity with pretty much anything trades you your standard action, some power points, and your focus for an extra standard action plus a power for next round. Very useful, and it doesn't even use up your swift action. Use the ardent ACF (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) to swap out synchronicity for another power that comes by default on one of your mantles.

Combine these things to get free metapsionics, a boost to your ML (to help with Linking powers), and actions to spend them on.

What level are you, and what do your build and wealth look like?

noce
2020-03-31, 02:37 PM
I'm level 6 and I'm looking for any method to add a first level power to my list of powers known.
Sorry, but I must say none of your suggestions addresses my question.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-03-31, 03:06 PM
I'm level 6 and I'm looking for any method to add a first level power to my list of powers known.
Sorry, but I must say none of your suggestions addresses my question.To my knowledge, there are no items that grant powers known.

You could, however, purchase "spellcasting services" from a psion with either psychic reformation to reformat your mantles into having synchronicity and to add it to your powers known, or psychic chirurgery to insert it into your head.

They're services, not items, though.

Or you could add synchronicity to a mantle, find a psion or other manifester with synchronicity as a power known, then hire his/her/its services for the long term. The manifester's job is to stay in physical contact with you so you can manifest from his/her/its powers known:

Manifest an Unknown Power from Another’s Powers Known
A psionic character can attempt to manifest a power from a source other than his own knowledge (usually a power stone or another willing psionic character). To do so, the character must first make contact (a process similar to addressing a power stone, requiring a Psicraft check against a DC of 15 + the highest level power in the power stone or repertoire). A psionic character can make contact with only a willing psionic character or creature (unconscious creatures are considered willing, but not psionic characters under the effects of other immobilizing conditions). Characters who can’t use power stones for any reason are also banned from attempting to manifest powers from the knowledge of other psionic characters. Mental contact requires 1 full round of physical contact, which can provoke attacks of opportunity. Once contact is achieved, the character becomes aware of all the powers stored in the power stone or all the powers the other character knows up to the highest level of power the contactor knows himself.

Next, the psionic character must choose one of the powers and make a second Psicraft check (DC 15 + the power’s level) to see if he understands it. If the power is not on his class list, he automatically fails this check.

Upon successfully making contact with another willing psionic character or creature and learning what he can of one power in particular, the character can immediately attempt to manifest that power even if he doesn’t know it (and assuming he has power points left for the day). He can attempt to manifest the power normally on his next turn, and he succeeds if he makes one additional Psicraft check (DC 15 + the power’s level). He retains the ability to manifest the selected power for only 1 round. If he doesn’t manifest the power, fails the Psicraft check, or manifests a different power, he loses his chance to manifest that power for the day.This is about as close as you can get. You probably can't add metapsionics, sadly.