PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Advice How do you entertain yourself while staying at home?

Emmerlaus
2020-03-31, 10:45 AM
Because of this global pandemic, my girlfriend is stuck at home, alone, while I have to go to work (part of essential services).

What would you suggest she does in her free time?

I tried to find free gaming site (Neopets) but the website doesn't work. Do you know any other gaming website with free games?

She cleaned the appartement and I bought Amazon Prime for the videos and Netflix so she can watch some series. Which one would you recommend?

Rogar Demonblud
2020-03-31, 01:27 PM
Either, as they have different libraries and I don't know her tastes.

Personally, what downtime I've had has involved unplugging and just reading. So maybe a Kindle should be added to the mix.

halfeye
2020-03-31, 01:30 PM
Because of this global pandemic, my girlfriend is stuck at home, alone, while I have to go to work (part of essential services).

What would you suggest she does in her free time?

I tried to find free gaming site (Neopets) but the website doesn't work. Do you know any other gaming website with free games?

She cleaned the appartement and I bought Amazon Prime for the videos and Netflix so she can watch some series. Which one would you recommend?

There are loads of old games that are almost reasonable in price (in about the last year some of them have gone up in price again, perhaps because the disks are running out). Most halfway modern computers should be able to run TES 4 Oblivion, and there are thousands of hours to be had in that, TES 5 Skyrim requiers more hardware capability, but there's about as much content.

If playing online with real but distant people is an option then there are go and chess servers which are free (never tried chess, so I'm guessing about that, KGS is certainly free for go in some circumstances (you'd need Java and the client), and there are other servers, some of which I'm pretty sure can be free).

Sermil
2020-03-31, 02:27 PM
Lots of libraries are still lending ebooks for free via their websites.

Several in my area are even letting you get library cards virtually if you don't have one already.

Palanan
2020-03-31, 08:11 PM
+1 to unplugging with a book.

Papasan and cat are optional extras, but they profoundly enhance the experience.

Kid Jake
2020-03-31, 09:24 PM
She could binge a series; book, comic, show, etc... Sites like Tapas and Webtoons have hundreds of free comics to read.
She could start a garden.
She could try out some new recipes.
She could get in shape.
She could find an emulator, or get into a free to play game like Dwarf Fortress.
She could take up some kind of artistic pursuit.
If she has any interest in tabletop, she could plan out a campaign.
She could explore an obscure interest; maybe learn more about a subject she likes.
She could get a game going through Facebook or Discord (or just hang out digitally) with some friends.
She could just nap all day.
The possibilities are limitless, but I don't know your girlfriend.

Imbalance
2020-04-01, 10:13 AM
Point her to the BremetalHW youtube channel and get her started restoring old diecast cars.

Whether she likes it or not.

Brother Oni
2020-04-01, 11:01 AM
Kongregate and Armor Games are two standard flash game sites that should keep her busy.

Otherwise Good Old Games have a large selection of games for free in these trying times.

There's the weekly Epic Games free release that she can look into.

If I had the time (still working from home); physical training by either practising kata and techniques or just weight lifting, catching up on my reading or sorting through my MtG cards.

Alas I'm getting through the current crisis via copious amounts of alcohol. There's something to be said for starting your day with a vodka Red Bull before connecting in to your team's morning meeting. :smallbiggrin: