PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Race Without a God: Humans

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-31, 08:24 PM
https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/kEp3NOY7_

Starting to put together a world where Asmodeus betrayed the "He Who Was" earlier than normal.

Asmodeus was once an archangel and exarch serving a god now only known as He Who Was, the god of good and peace and possibly the creator of humanity. Asmodeus betrayed his god, killing him and having the devils erase all knowledge of the god's name for fear that the mere mention of it would revive him. This transformed Baator from the realm of He Who Was to the Nine Hells of Baator, a prison for Asmodeus and the devils.

The effects of this is pretty simple, humans never had a patron deity and thus the protection of a major player. Elves, Dwarves, and Halflings are somewhat still the same, except that they didn't have competition from humans so their lands are more expansive. The three main races

Humans are tribal, primal, and most are still in the stages of nomadic hunter gatherers. This is actually based on real world humans quite a bit as we are pretty awesome and literally walk things to death. Ever wonder why horror films have a slow walking murderer that is scary as hell? Turns out that's how humans have and can hunt prey. There's something genetic about how a slow walking murderer is scary.

I still need to work on the world but I like the idea of humans being the underdog. I will probably roll the Halfling crossbreed races into this setting (and make some Elf and Dwarf crossbreeds).

Notes

Persistence Hunting

Exhaustion reduction is pretty much a ribbon. It can come up, but the game forgets its a thing most of the time. So if you use this in another setting, this is more of a ribbon than anything else.

Stealth and Perception skills are the real core of the Persistence Hunting feature.

Human Specialty

The feat list is to make it where humans still have some good options that are flavorful but aren't going to give options that make other races straight up a worse option. Way too many times "V Human" is the best choice in 5e. Bleh.

Edit (Barbarian)

I've never seen the berserker played without some sort of rule changes so this human doesn't really cause much issue with it.

The most popular homebrews I've seen is removing exhaustion and making the bonus action attack a base d4 damage while raging. This attack can't be modified by feats such as GWM -5/+10.

So when you rage you can make a bonus action attack that deals 1d4 + Str + Rage Bonus damage.

Does it deal a lot of damage? Sure. But a barbarian can already grab Polearm Master or whatever and do this anyways PLUS get some utility.