PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Unarmed Fighting Style (UA) and Wild Shape/Polymorph?

Citadel97501
2020-03-31, 11:42 PM
Hello all, I was wondering how fighting styles apply when you are shape shifted either through polymorph or wild shape? This came to mind due to the Solly the Gnome thread, as I was thinking that the "Unarmed Fighting Style" from the Unearthed Arcana variant class feature would make certain shapes more effective?

For example, if you transform into a Giant Scorpion each of your pincers will grapple the target does this mean that each pincer is going to be doing an extra 1d4 on hit, and as long as at least one of them hit, your stinger will do another 1d4 due to hitting them while they are grappled.

Galithar
2020-04-01, 02:25 AM
It would depend how you were transforming. If you use an ability that says you retain your class features (Magic Jar or Wildshape) then yes you would retain the effects of the fighting style in the other form. If you use an ability that doesn't retain class features (Polymorph) then you would lose the fighting style while transformed.

I believe the basis of the Solly Gnome was using Wildshape, so it would work in that case. But not if Solly used polymorph.

NaughtyTiger
2020-04-01, 01:46 PM
A reasonable interpretation of the beast's attack action, is that it is NOT an unarmed attack.

Given that:
1) beast's unarmed attack -> 2x attacks + flurry of blows @ monk damage die
2) beast's normal attack -> follow normal rules

Galithar
2020-04-02, 02:00 AM
A reasonable interpretation of the beast's attack action, is that it is NOT an unarmed attack.

Given that:
1) beast's unarmed attack -> 2x attacks + flurry of blows @ monk damage die
2) beast's normal attack -> follow normal rules

The grapple bullet points of the unarmed fighting style do not require an unarmed strike. They require a grapple. Most beast forms already have a d8 or better damage die anyways. Some have d6s but will then usually have multiple d6s which is better than the damage die provided by the fighting style. The grapple components are what's important for wildshaping.

NaughtyTiger
2020-04-02, 08:01 AM
The grapple bullet points of the unarmed fighting style do not require an unarmed strike. They require a grapple. Most beast forms already have a d8 or better damage die anyways. Some have d6s but will then usually have multiple d6s which is better than the damage die provided by the fighting style. The grapple components are what's important for wildshaping.

shoot Galithar, that's twice you caught me misreading a thread. i am blaming the isolation.