PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making a Warlock Summoner?

Citadel97501
2020-04-01, 12:44 AM
Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone else has taken a look at making a Warlock summoner (single class)? I personally see 2 main methods of doing this, and I will note them below. Feel free to give your own ideas of doing or point out anything I may have missed?

Well lets start off why, I am thinking of Warlock for the good old fashioned summoner style of play. Quite simply, its due to the short rest spell slots and the fewer spells known. I think that these two design elements lead to a playstyle where you will be casting a summoning spell every battle, while also supporting them through cantrips and invocations.

Unfortunately we come to a major issue, the lack of good summoning spells for the Warlock. This is a major issue and can only be dealt with currently in two methods.

Official Stuff
Patron: Fiend, this seems to be thematic to me and can be thought of you seeking your own minions with a similar contract as the one you signed with your own patron.

Pact Options: Tome, since your designed around being more of a spell caster this seems to be a good choice, and will also provide you with a few more ritual summoning spells that aren't normally available for Warlocks. Another solid option would be Pact of the Chain as it would give you a minion from the planes either in the form of a Quazit or an Imp, this might help out early on with the themes.

Guildmaster's Guide to Eberron
Mark of Handling: Human with +2 wisdom/+1 any other?:
-Conjure Animals and a few others are added to your spell list

Mark of Storm: Half-Elf with +2 Charisma, +1 Dexterity, Resistance to Lightning
-Great spell additions in Conjure Minor Elementals, and Conjure Elemental, and the attribute bonuses are nearly perfect.

Mark of Warding: Dwarf +2 constitution, +1 Intelligence
-Odd but Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound isn't awful for this although the duration is very long, it is not a concentration spell, but is immobile though so this is more of a weird almost blasting style of summoner but could be very interesting for an eldritch blaster, as you remain in place and blast anyone that comes close with the hounds eating them if they stay there.

Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica: The backgrounds provided here seem to be one of the few ways to reliably access good summoning spells, and those included here are real doozies, but at least one of them is completely ridiculous fluff wise.

-The Gruul clan background would have access to Conjure Animals. However this background for a Warlock makes almost no sense to me due to the idea of anarchy, and the service to a higher power that the warlocks engage in.

-Izzet Engineer: This one is a lot more interesting but is still very weak until 9th level since the initial spell provided at 7th is junk, and only becomes viable at 9th and higher. It should be noted that Conjure Minor Elementals is a very bad spell, as Conjure Elemental is only 1 spell slot higher but EXTREMELY more powerful. A CR 2 elemental, vs a CR 5+. It should also be noted that there are some very nice CR 7's in the Princes of the Apocalypse book.

Spells for everyone:
Conjure Lesser Demons
Conjure Greater Demon

Spells depending on Race or Background
Conjure Minor Elementals
Conjure Elemental
Conjure Animals: This spell is incredibly good for sheer dpr due to wolf packs being extremely deadly, although as your not a Shepherd Druid their attacks aren't magical, and they don't have a lot of health.

Unearthed Arcana
Here is where the new stuff comes in, and frankly some of these are very nice and thematic for any type of Warlock.

Patron: Any but hexblade, although that might even work with Summon Shadow Spirit.

Pact: Tome or Chain works here for the same reasons, however Talisman also from the Unearthed Arcana can definitely find some use as well.

New Spells
3rd Level
-Summon fey spirit (conjuration)
-Summon shadow spirit (conjuration)
-Summon undead spirit (necromancy)

4th Level
-Summon aberrant spirit (conjuration)

6th Level
-Summon fiendish spirit (conjuration)

JackPhoenix
2020-04-01, 08:10 AM
All warlocks get Infernal Calling, can get Conjure Fey, though as Mystic Arcanum rather than normal spell, and Conjure Elementals once per rest through invocation.

Segev
2020-04-01, 09:11 AM
Pact of the Chain offers access to a couple of core book invocations that summon things once/day. I don't care for those invocations, because I don't like invocations that have use limits, but they're there.

JackPhoenix
2020-04-01, 09:23 AM
Pact of the Chain offers access to a couple of core book invocations that summon things once/day. I don't care for those invocations, because I don't like invocations that have use limits, but they're there.

Where? Only PotC invocations in PHB are unlimited range communication with the familiar and Hold Monster 1/long rest. XGtE adds maximised self-healing when your familiar is nearby.

MaxWilson
2020-04-01, 09:51 AM
Don't overlook Danse Macabre.

Segev
2020-04-01, 09:52 AM
Where? Only PotC invocations in PHB are unlimited range communication with the familiar and Hold Monster 1/long rest. XGtE adds maximised self-healing when your familiar is nearby.
That's what I get for working from memory. I was conflating Chains of Carceri (the Pact of the Chain "hold monster, but only on outsiders" one) with Minions of Chaos (which any Warlock can pick up to cast conjure elemental once per day at 9th level).

Zetakya
2020-04-01, 10:01 AM

Class Features UA has a bunch of other options, if your DM is amenable. https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-ClassFeatures.pdf

Useful ones for this concept are Chain Master's Fury and Investment of the Chain Master

It also adds Gate and Planar Binding to your Spell List.

I would also not that an important spell you haven't listed is Magic Circle. You're a fool if you're summoning Demons without it.

ImproperJustice
2020-04-03, 08:08 AM
Also talk to your GM.
Mine allows the invocations which add spells to the Warlock list to enable you to cast those spells once per long rest instead, which makes Minions of Chaos a little more attractive.

I am level 11 and doing something similar, using Conjurr Elemental, Conjure Fey, and Danse Macabre to give me some minions while I Eldritch Blast things.

Cikomyr2
2020-04-03, 03:07 PM
Or just try to go custom with an altered spell list, or custom invocations, and have fun winging it :)

Daithi
2020-04-04, 11:57 PM
The UA for class feature variants also added a few key spells for the summoner warlock.

3rd Level Animate Dead (not summoning per se, but fits the theme)
5th Level Planar Binding (a must for summoners)

A couple other key spells to keep in mind that summoners already have--

3rd Level Magic Circle (not 100% necessary)
4th Level Banishment (another must have spell)
5th Level Contact Other Plane (risky but ask for the true name of a demon/devil)
6th Level Conjure Fey (use to summon various kinds of Hags)
6th Level Create Undead (not summoning but fits the theme)

The 9th Level Chaos of Minions invocation allows you to summon elementals, but I assume the highest level you can cast it is with a 5th level slot. This means the Invisible Stalker is unavailable to you. So, a warlock can be a decent summoner, but I still think the wizard Necromancer or Conjurer makes a better one.

MaxWilson
2020-04-05, 12:14 AM
Planar Binding is a must only when upcast to at least level 6, which warlocks sadly cannot do.

Daithi
2020-04-05, 04:30 AM
Planar Binding is a must only when upcast to at least level 6, which warlocks sadly cannot do.

You're right. Another reason to prefer Wizard to Warlock for a summoner.