PDA

View Full Version : Clockwork Mask of the Mind Flayer

Noxangelo
2020-04-01, 01:49 AM
"Clockwork Mask of the Mind Flayer:
This mask appears like the visage of a mind flayer, complete with four tentacles mounted at the mouth area. The wearer may make one attack with each tentacle at his or her highest base attack bonus as if they were natural weapons. This a standard action and the wearer cannot attack with any other weapons when using the tentacle attacks" 8000gp

A few questions:

1.) how can i get past the restrictions on other attacks?
2.) if i cannot, how much should the item cost without that restriction?
3.) neither the item description nor the monster stat block (its from an adventure) list the damage for the attacks, what should they be?
(edit)
4.) what tricks could i use to extend the range of the tentacles?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-04-01, 09:20 AM
It normally takes a full attack action to make multiple attacks. It looks to me like it's a standard-action to activate the magic item, and the effect you get when activating the item is to make four attacks with the tentacles.

You can't combine a standard action with a full-round action, so you can't full attack with other weapons and also attack with the tentacles.

Swiftblade (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) 9 makes it so Haste gives you an extra standard action like it did in 3.0, so you could use that to activate the mask, and you'll still have a full-round action on your turn to full attack.

daremetoidareyo
2020-04-01, 09:24 AM
Tentacle wsa on your weapons?

Noxangelo
2020-04-01, 04:42 PM
i'm hoping to use it as an alternative to the the fanged mask, which gives you a bite attack, however if i can't get around this mask using a standard action, i'll have to ditch it.

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-04-01, 08:06 PM
What book is this from? I could see some interesting options for a Scout or even a Rogue build using it, where the lack of other attacks is less relevant. (but yes, the wording you've posted seems to say there's no way to use the item and do anything except a move/swift action that turn).

Noxangelo
2020-04-02, 04:53 AM
its from an adventure "LEGEND OF THE SILVER SKELETON"

http://dnd.etherealspheres.com/eBooks/DM_Tools/Adventures_1/3.5E%20D&D%20-%20Adventure%2006%20-%20The%20Silver%20Skeleton.PDF

pg. 21 second last page.