PDA

View Full Version : Mage's Mirror

Fuza
2007-10-23, 11:48 PM
Arcane Reflector
Evocation
Level: Sorc/Wiz 8
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Self and 120-ft line or 20-ft sphere (see text)
Area: 120-ft line or 20-ft sphere (see text)
Duration: Concentration
Saving Throw: Reflex Half
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell allows you to chose one type of damage such as slashing or fire. You become immune and absorb any of the specified damage that is targeted at you. The spell requires you to concentrate on the spell so you cannot do anything else unless you wish to end the spell. The spell requires you to make a Concentration check whenever you take damage (though at a -10 DC for the specifed damage type). If you succeded you can continue to cast the spell but if you fail all of the damage of the specified energy type that you absorbed is released in a 20-ft sphere centered on you. Everyone takes the damage including the caster (reflex half for everyone but caster). You can voluntarily release the energy in a 120-ft line that deals the amount of damage absorbed to all in caught in the line. The Maximum amount of damage absorbed by Arcane Reflector is your caster level x5. Example: A 15th level Wizard cast's Arcane Reflector and choose's the damage absorbed as fire. A second 15th level Wizard casts fireball dealing 10d6 damage. Lets say he gets 6 on each roll dealing 60 damage to the first Wizard. The Wizard Succeds on his Concentraion check. He can then choose to continue channeling the spell and release the energy at a later date. Afterwords he fails his Concentration check and is forced to end the spell causeing 60 fire damage to everyone in a 20-ft sphere centered on him.

I know that it needs work because all of the stuff I've made with my friends has been way overpowered. If someone could also make a better name for the spell that would be very apreciated.

Update! Changed name to Arcane Reflector

Mewtarthio
2007-10-23, 11:55 PM
Shouldn't the duration have an upper limit? As it stands, the Mage can stand still for days on end, concentrating on the spell while his buddy repeatedly pours damage into him. Or he could just jump into a volcano and cast mage's mirror (fire).

JackMage666
2007-10-23, 11:58 PM
It's not particularly bad, but it needs a cap... Since as is is can just be used by standing in a fire for days on end, and then released in a nuke like fashion. A pool of damage equal to 5x caster level seems fair, though maybe higher due to the high spell level.

Fuza
2007-10-24, 12:31 AM
With the x5 caster level the damage cap is 75. Does that seem to powerfull?

JackMage666
2007-10-24, 09:02 AM
15th level caster
As a 15th level caster (the earliest you can get this), Cone of Cold would do 15d6 damage (average 52.5 damage), so a cap of 75 damage fits.

20th level caster
Well, let's see, 20d6 damage from, let's say a Cone of Cold, does on average 70 damage. The damage cap for this spell is 100 points of damage.

On the plus side, you also absord damage, so it's both an offensive and defensive spell, making the cap just about right.

GoC
2007-10-24, 03:31 PM
15th level caster
As a 15th level caster (the earliest you can get this), Cone of Cold would do 15d6 damage (average 52.5 damage), so a cap of 75 damage fits.

20th level caster
Well, let's see, 20d6 damage from, let's say a Cone of Cold, does on average 70 damage. The damage cap for this spell is 100 points of damage.

On the plus side, you also absord damage, so it's both an offensive and defensive spell, making the cap just about right.

Actualy at 17th+ level you're looking at 32d6 (112 on average and without the reflex save) without having to sit there and concentrate while people are trying to hack you to bits.
A damage cap of 6xCL looks better to me.

Fuza: How did the first wizard succeed on a DC 50 concentration check?:smallconfused:

Fuza
2007-10-24, 07:11 PM
Fuza: How did the first wizard succeed on a DC 50 concentration check?:smallconfused:

Probably didn't. Unless he was Epic. I made this spell more for absorbing small amounts of damage then realesing it all at once.

Also my friends have been commenting about the 220-ft line. Should that stay or should it be a ray 120-ft? Or just a 120-ft line? I think that the x6 cap would be good. The spell is mainly used to destroy things with there own damage so being able to deal more of it would be a good thing.