PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making an Epic level hidden god

IndustriousR
2020-04-01, 11:17 AM
So I'm taking part in a campaign where all the players will be gods with and ECL of 21 the 21st level being 1lvl of divine rank. I'd like to make a god of unknown things, and the forgotten things. In life the character would have known a lot which aided in the activities of the adventurers they traveled with but never got recognition for their aid and actions. I'd like to try and build the character to be hard to identify and target (with effects such as non-detection). An early concept I played with was going a shadowcaraft mage or some Psionic class to try and remove memories of my character from people. All 3-3.5 material except dragon mag material is open to be used.

Thank you for your assistance in this endeavor.

Biggus
2020-04-01, 11:53 AM
I don't know much about psionics, but if you're going the magic route, the key spells I know of would be Modify Memory (Bd4, SRD), Mind Blank (S/W8, SRD) and Programmed Amnesia (S/W9, SpC). A Bard/ Sublime Chord could get all three.

Thelonius monk
2020-04-01, 12:40 PM
If you want to go for psionics, it sounds like telepath would be the best at doing what you want to do. All Psions in general all have access to the most important powers for this, e.g. Mindwipe, Cloud Mind/Mass Cloud Mind, & Mind Blank, but I feel like the flavor most fits a telepath, what with altering memories and other mind-magic. There's probably more powers that fit, but those are just what I found on a quick look-through of the EPH.

StevenC21
2020-04-01, 01:09 PM
I agree, psionics is good for this.

I do want to make sure you realize though that normally 1 Divine Rank ≠ 1 point of ECL.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-04-01, 01:09 PM
The Nameless Dragon template in Dragon 313 is what you're looking for, but it doesn't list a level adjustment, so it's up to your DM whether it's usable. It can only be added to a true dragon of adult or older age category, so it may not be very playable.

Slayer (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm) 9 is pretty good for this, if you always stay psionically focused.

Occult Slayer (CW) 5 if you're not playing a spellcaster could do it.

The Vecna-Blooded template in MMV (under God-Blooded, +1 LA) would be superb for this, just re-flavor it and keep the same level adjustment.

IndustriousR
2020-04-01, 01:11 PM
I agree, psionics is good for this.

I do want to make sure you realize though that normally 1 Divine Rank ≠ 1 point of ECL.

I am aware though my GM has ruled that it is for his game so that is what I am working with.

Buufreak
2020-04-01, 01:23 PM
I am aware though my GM has ruled that it is for his game so that is what I am working with.

The issue isn't a matter of progression, but a matter of ability and power.

StevenC21
2020-04-01, 01:27 PM
Buufreak is right. Ask your DM how many hit dice you are allowed to drop in exchange for divine ranks. And do the maximum.

Edit: Then take Alter Reality, Wish for a Thought Bottle, have another PC activate it, and then use it yourself to get to everyone else's level with your snazzy divine ranks.

IndustriousR
2020-04-01, 01:47 PM
Buufreak is right. Ask your DM how many hit dice you are allowed to drop in exchange for divine ranks. And do the maximum.

Edit: Then take Alter Reality, Wish for a Thought Bottle, have another PC activate it, and then use it yourself to get to everyone else's level with your snazzy divine ranks.

as much as I'd love to do this the GM has ruled that every player will start at Divine rank 1.

icefractal
2020-04-01, 01:48 PM
Seconding a psionic type, even pre-god you can pretty credibly pretend to be a pack-bearer or something while secretly infiltrating people's brains. And Vecna-Blooded is perfect for this.

Re: Divine Rank - if Alter Reality is on the table, it is by far the best SDA, possibly better than all others put together. Even just basic usage makes persist-o-mancers weep with envy.

For you in particular, Mind Blank of course (if VB doesn't make it moot; can't remember), Superior Invisibility, and then go from there.

Maybe don't be undead though. If any of your foes are deities too, one of the Death SDAs allows controlling any undead with no save.

IndustriousR
2020-04-01, 02:04 PM
Realising I should have explained the Divine rank thing a bit more. The GM has said that divine ranks are taken in place of new levels and we all start at divine rank 1. These are the divine rank restrictions I'm working with

ExLibrisMortis
2020-04-01, 02:37 PM
Realising I should have explained the Divine rank thing a bit more. The GM has said that divine ranks are taken in place of new levels and we all start at divine rank 1. These are the divine rank restrictions I'm working with
So effectively, you have an ECL 20 character with divine rank 1, and reaching higher XP will increase that divine rank, but not your ECL? That's good to know. That means you can't take any more levels, which means your build must be complete at ECL 20.

I'd go with a Vecna-Blooded version of Brightness (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=20332993&postcount=46), perhaps trading Crystal Master 10 for Thrallherd 1 to get a surface-bound cult (you'd need to drop Crystal Master 10 to keep 9th-level powers).

IndustriousR
2020-04-01, 06:30 PM
So effectively, you have an ECL 20 character with divine rank 1, and reaching higher XP will increase that divine rank, but not your ECL? That's good to know. That means you can't take any more levels, which means your build must be complete at ECL 20.

I'd go with a Vecna-Blooded version of Brightness, perhaps trading Crystal Master 10 for Thrallherd 1 to get a surface-bound cult (you'd need to drop Crystal Master 10 to keep 9th-level powers).

Thank you for this build. I am curious as to why it was initially built with warforged. are there other races that you would suggest as alternatives? I've played a lot of warforged recently and would like to have some variety in my characters XD

thanks again

ExLibrisMortis
2020-04-02, 11:23 PM
Thank you for this build. I am curious as to why it was initially built with warforged. are there other races that you would suggest as alternatives? I've played a lot of warforged recently and would like to have some variety in my characters XD

thanks again
Warforged don't need to eat, breathe, or sleep. If you wanted to play up the "evil hidden god" angle, you could go necropolitan just fine, as long as that's rated at LA +0.

Bphill561
2020-04-03, 06:19 PM
I think I would try a fiend of possession. Especially if the Divine Rank 1 outsider type and alignment subtype kick in from level 1 on your build.

Play an Illumian. Divine Rank 1 grants outsider type and an alignment subtype.

Ardent 5/Thrallherd 1/FoP 6/ Thrallherd 3/Ardent 5

With the magic mantle you treat magic and psionics equally. The Krau sigil grants +2 caster level, see if you can get DM approval on manifester level. With Practiced manifester, that will cover 6 of the 7 levels lost to keep your ardent unusual power selection methods going. The last 5 ardent levels are not necessary, but grants a 4th mantle. Your Thrallherd score will be 24, enough for a 17th level cohort. Always hide in your cohorts weapon to be truly invisible. The corruption mantle gives you all the mind erasing abilities to keep people from knowing you. Use the Mind Eye ACF for ardent to get mind-link for Thrallherd.

Illumian not approved, go with the Kalashtra race and cut back on FoP levels. You will end up with more power points and you don't need the full FoP package anyway.

THe Otherworldly feat and ritual of alignment is an alternative if you outsider status does not count from level 1.

Divine Rank Ability

Makes playing a cleric tempting as well. Really scary if you get access to unearthed arcania generic spell caster since the cleric/druid/sorcerer spell lists all available from your class. If altered reality Salent Powers are not available, you can always take free persistent spells.

Grant Spells

A deity automatically grants spells and domain powers to mortal divine spellcasters who pray to it. Most deities can grant spells from the cleric spell list, the ranger spell list, and from three or more domains. Deities with levels in the druid class can grant spells from the druid spell list, and deities with paladin levels can grant spells from the paladin spell list. A deity can withhold spells from any particular mortal as a free action; once a spell has been granted, it remains in the mortal’s mind until expended.

Spontaneous Casting
A deity of rank 1 or higher who has levels in a divine spellcasting class can spontaneously cast any spell it can grant.