PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What to play? Combat 1-shot

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-01, 02:15 PM
Going to be playing in a 1 shot this Friday which will be an arena style adventure with lots of combat. All official WoTC material is allowed, we are starting at level 5, any basic items are free and we get to choose 1 uncommon and 1 common magic item to start with.

I rolled stats and got 18, 13, 12, 11, 11, 9. There will be 4 or 5 other PCs as well.

I was thinking either a Sharpshooting Samurai, Drunken Master, not too sure on spell casters because I am unsure of how often we will get to rest, but I am not opposed to maybe an evocation wizard.

Ideas appreciated.

JumboWheat01
2020-04-01, 02:43 PM
Clearly you need to be a Bard and provide dramatic music for the fights.

That said, I think anything that provides two weapon attacks would be a good idea. Fighter works pretty nicely, they don't have a resource to really worry about save a couple of abilities.

Warlock might an idea for a caster, assuming you get at least some short rests from time to time. Fiend in particular would let you have some nice blasting power, maybe go with Chain for an extra distraction.

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-01, 03:08 PM
Clearly you need to be a Bard and provide dramatic music for the fights.

That said, I think anything that provides two weapon attacks would be a good idea. Fighter works pretty nicely, they don't have a resource to really worry about save a couple of abilities.

Warlock might an idea for a caster, assuming you get at least some short rests from time to time. Fiend in particular would let you have some nice blasting power, maybe go with Chain for an extra distraction.

I checked with DM and it sounds like there may be 3 "rounds" we have to wade through. We will get a long rest after the first but 2 & 3 will be back to back.

Also, 1 player is thinking of playing an Echo Knight from Wildemount and another is playing a wizard.

MaxWilson
2020-04-01, 03:16 PM
Going to be playing in a 1 shot this Friday which will be an arena style adventure with lots of combat. All official WoTC material is allowed, we are starting at level 5, any basic items are free and we get to choose 1 uncommon and 1 common magic item to start with.

I rolled stats and got 18, 13, 12, 11, 11, 9. There will be 4 or 5 other PCs as well.

That's tricky. 5th level is low enough that some classes (like Fighter) are less attractive than they would be later in Tier 2.

In your shoes I think I would play a Sharpshooter Wood Elf Gloomstalker. Not as burst as a Samurai, but nice utility, mobility, and healing. Wis 14, Dex 20, Con 12. Spike Growth is a nice pseudo-Fireball which could come in handy against mobs, as will Entangle, and Ensnaring Strike/Hunter's Mark will help you against individuals.

Man_Over_Game
2020-04-01, 04:17 PM
For anything previous to level 10, I always recommend Moon Druid. Tack on a level of Barbarian if you want.

Druids come packed with decent armor and health, not much worse than any Fighter, and you'll get more temporary HP out of your beast forms than you would with Samurai or anything else.

Best case scenario, you murder everyone as a bear. Twice, since you can use it per Short Rest.

Worst case scenario, they killed two bears and now have to take on a full-caster Druid with full HP and slots.

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-02, 05:19 AM
Another PC decided to play a Grave Cleric.

I thought I would narrow down my choices to the following:

Aasimar Zealot Barbarian (melee)
Human Forge/Tempest Cleric (melee)
Drunken Monk (hit n run)
Wood Elf Samurai (ranged)
Artillerist (ranged)

Any of those seem better than the others? Also I heard there will be the ability to obtain magic items or feats in between rounds (though I am unsure if we simply get to pick or they are from a limited selection).

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-02, 08:03 AM
Also, magic item wise, I was thinking Gauntlets of Ogre power for cleric, +1 Weapons for weapon users, wand of war mage for Artificer.

What would be best for a monk? Cloak of protection, +1 weapon, weapon of warning?

Eldariel
2020-04-02, 11:18 AM
If you want potent SR ability combined with amazing LR potential, Bladesinger and Moon Druid are pretty amazing. And they get 3rd level spells for this which is insane (Conjure Animals, Hypnotic Pattern, Fireball, etc.).

Out of those I do like 3rd level spells; both Forge and Tempest Cleric are great. Artillerist and Drunken Master can be a ton of fun too if not quite as powerful. I'm not crazy about the other options but certainly, pick what you most enjoy.

EDIT: For Magic Items, Winged Boots and Sentinel Shield are great uncommons. Simple stat boosters and numeric boosters (Cloak of Protection & al.) are always welcome of course.

Man_Over_Game
2020-04-02, 12:13 PM
For a simple battle arena, it's hard to go wrong with the Samurai. You can alpha-strike a lot of burst damage in a short amount of time, and abuse your Sharpshooter feat while doing so. It also augments your tankiness. It's primary weakness is the fact that it relies on a Long Rest resource, to be used 3x a day, but that's not a problem if you're just trying to win a single fight.

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-02, 02:29 PM
For a simple battle arena, it's hard to go wrong with the Samurai. You can alpha-strike a lot of burst damage in a short amount of time, and abuse your Sharpshooter feat while doing so. It also augments your tankiness. It's primary weakness is the fact that it relies on a Long Rest resource, to be used 3x a day, but that's not a problem if you're just trying to win a single fight.

For uncommon magic item for the Samurai, I was thinking +1 Longbow or Longbow of Warning. I guess cloak of protection is another choice as well, thoughts?

CTurbo
2020-04-03, 05:16 AM
Paladin!!!!

Scourge Aasimar Ancients Paladin 9 Str, 12 Dex, 14 Con, 11 Int, 11 Wis, 20 Cha. Give him Gauntlets of Ogre Power and +1 weapon. Take PAM at level 4.

Fallen Aasimar Conquest Paladin. 10 Str, 12 Dex, 13 Con, 11 Int, 11 Wis, 20 Cha. Give him Gauntlets of Ogre Power and +1 weapon. Take Res(Con) at level 4.

Half-Elf Oathbreaker Paladin 9 Str, 12 Dex, 14 Con, 11 Int, 12 Wis, 20 Cha. Give him Gauntlets of Ogre Power and +1 weapon. Take PAM at level 4.

Scourge Aasimar Devotion Paladin 9 Str, 12 Dex, 14 Con, 11 Int, 11 Wis, 20 Cha. Give him Gauntlets of Ogre Power and +1 weapon. Take GWM at level 4.

Half-Elf Vengeance Paladin 9 Str, 12 Dex, 14 Con, 11 Int, 12 Wis, 20 Cha. Give him Gauntlets of Ogre Power and +1 weapon. Take PAM at level 4.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-04-03, 05:25 AM

I was thinking either a Sharpshooting Samurai, Drunken Master, not too sure on spell casters because I am unsure of how often we will get to rest, but I am not opposed to maybe an evocation wizard.

Ideas appreciated.

Barbarian 3 (Wolf Totem) / Rogue 2 Halfling

Background: Anything with acrobatics?

Get a 14 in Dex and Con

Put your 18 in Str

Expertise in Acrobatics and Athletics

Climb onto a bigger creature is an Athletics or Acrobatics v Athletics or Acrobatics check (I forget exactly away from books)

Rage as a wolf totem gives allies advantage on attacks.

Carry a dagger.

Stab with the dagger while you hold on and become a targeting system for your allies.

Laugh at the looks on your allies faces! Master o Laughs indeed!

Fluff it as a drunken halfling or belkar!

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-03, 06:46 AM

Get a 14 in Dex and Con

Put your 18 in Str

Climb onto a bigger creature is an Athletics or Acrobatics v Athletics or Acrobatics check (I forget exactly away from books)

Carry a dagger.

Stab with the dagger while you hold on and become a targeting system for your allies.

This... so good!

JumboWheat01
2020-04-03, 08:13 AM

Get a 14 in Dex and Con

Put your 18 in Str

Carry a dagger.

Amazing. And the Entertainer Background has a note for using it as a Gladiator. You're already fluffed up for your fights now.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-04-03, 11:21 PM
This... so good!

Trust me, it's a lot of fun to play and playing a leader Barbarian really catches people off guard!

What's more is that even if the DM throws in small and tiny creatures... You can grapple them without penalty for being smaller!

Amazing. And the Entertainer Background has a note for using it as a Gladiator. You're already fluffed up for your fights now.

Thanks!

If this was a level 6 campaign I would say take Knight (change one skill to acrobatics) and the Mounted Combatant feat and beg your DM to count riding an ally as being on a mount.

Then have the mage cast enlarge on you "mount".

I would still stay barbarian/rogue but Cavalier fighter could be doable too.

Keravath
2020-04-05, 11:22 AM
Variant human. Crossbow expert + sharpshooter. Level 5 battlemaster fighter - samurai as an alternative. Winged boots for magic item to stay at range. 18 in dex. 13+1 in con, 12 in wis ... 11+1 in another stat of choice or 9+1 for your minimum stat. The winged boos will keep you out of the way of any moon druids. Other melee focused characters could have winged boots as well.

Weaknesses: darkness, focus on single target damage but at level 5 you should be able to take down at least one other creature/character every round. Winged boots keep you at range, lower AC due to not using a shield.

Winged boots might be a common choice assuming flying is allowed, since if someone else takes them then you are forced to engage them at range unless you also have them.

--------------

Alternatives:

2 hexblade warlock/3 bard or sorcerer - agonizing blast + devil's sight + level 2 spells, decent AC with medium armor + shield + shield spell.

Weaknesses: Gives up level 3 spells (however that is only 2 spell slots) ... on the other hand, level 3 spells if they work could be a winner and if everyone saves are a waste.