PDA

View Full Version : Would like a one level dip for my monk

quark12000
2020-04-01, 03:18 PM
I have an 8th level Open Hand monk, and I'd like to get a little more variety to his abilities. I don't want to miss out on that last ASI, so I can get both DEX and WIS to 20, so a one level dip is all I can do. Charisma is not high enough, or I'd go Warlock. Sneak attack wouldn't work for Rogue, though Expertise is nice. None of the Fighting Styles would work for Fighter. He doesn't qualify for Barbarian, Bard, Paladin, Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard. Ranger's just, meh. I'm looking hard at Cleric, which for one level is basically what a Druid is with one less cantrip, but need suggestions for Domains. Thanks in advance.

JackPhoenix
2020-04-01, 03:29 PM
Propably not what you want to hear, but if you don't know what to multiclass into, don't. You should have clear purpose in mind when you're multiclassing.

Man_Over_Game
2020-04-01, 03:30 PM
I have an 8th level Open Hand monk, and I'd like to get a little more variety to his abilities. I don't want to miss out on that last ASI, so I can get both DEX and WIS to 20, so a one level dip is all I can do. Charisma is not high enough, or I'd go Warlock. Sneak attack wouldn't work for Rogue, though Expertise is nice. None of the Fighting Styles would work for Fighter. He doesn't qualify for Barbarian, Bard, Paladin, Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard. Ranger's just, meh. I'm looking hard at Cleric, which for one level is basically what a Druid is with one less cantrip, but need suggestions for Domains. Thanks in advance.

Honestly? I'd go for Druid.

You might have passed over it for the slightly fewer features than the Cleric, but what you get in return is a much better spell list. Druids have tons of spells that benefit a melee martial:

Shilellagh
Magic Stone
Thorn Whip
Create Bonfire
Guidance

Jump (multiplies with Step of the Wind)
Absorb Elements
Longstrider
Earth Tremor
Healing Word
Speak With Animals

And more spells than the Cleric does for non-combat stuff. Most of the Cleric's stuff is Concentration-based, which isn't ideal for a primarily melee combatant.

If you do decide to take more levels later on, Druid also gives more defensive, sensory, and ground control spells than the Cleric does. Druid feels like it's designed to augment melee combatants, while Cleric seems designed to heal them or increase your characters' numbers (like through bless).

quark12000
2020-04-01, 03:31 PM
Propably not what you want to hear, but if you don't know what to multiclass into, don't. You should have clear purpose in mind when you're multiclassing.

I don't mean right now. I just got to eighth level. I want ideas for the future.

CheddarChampion
2020-04-01, 03:41 PM
Why would sneak attack not work?
You can carry a single dagger around but use your martial arts die instead of the d4 damage and you could get sneak attack in the right situations.

Rogue also gives you one skill and thieves' tools because of multiclassing proficiencies. All in all that's 1d6 SA, 1 skill proficiency, proficiency in thieves' tools, and 2 doses of expertise (perception and stealth are often handy).

Christew
2020-04-01, 03:43 PM
Cleric 1 grants some nifty stuff. No Channel divinity unfortunately, but still some solid options.
• Arcana - Arcana skill and two wizard cantrips
• Death - Martial weapons and one necromancy cantrip that can target two creatures within 5ft of each other
• Forge - Heavy Armor, Smith's tools, and +1 AC or +1 atk/dam to one item
• Grave - Healing bonus on creatures with 0hp, suped up Spare the Dying cantrip, and undead detection
• Knowledge - Two languages and two knowledge skills
• Life - Heavy armor and healing bonus
• Light - Light cantrip and impose disadvantage ability
• Nature - Heavy armor, druid cantrip, druid skill
• Order - Heavy armor, Intimidation or Persuasion, and Ally reaction attack when you target them with a spell
• Tempest - Heavy armor, Martial weapons, and 2d8 reaction damage when hit
• Trickery - Give another creature advantage on Stealth
• War - Heavy armor, martial weapons, bonus action attack

Given that you are a monk, heavy armor and bonus action attack will be pretty useless. Other than that, it depends on your playstyle and what you want to achieve with the dip. Arcana, Death, Grave, and Light are all pretty solid giving cantrips and abilities.

CTurbo
2020-04-01, 03:59 PM
Cleric all the way even if just for the cantrips and BLESS.

Arcana - you get 2 bonus Wizard cantrips
Nature - extra cantip and skill
Light - use reaction to impose disadvantage on an attack
Tempest - use reaction to deal 2d8 lightning damage when hit with an attack
Grave - the only time Spare the Dying is a worthwhile cantrip. Also, make your limited healing more powerful.

quark12000
2020-04-01, 04:50 PM
You can carry a single dagger around but use your martial arts die instead of the d4 damage and you could get sneak attack in the right situations.

Rogue also gives you one skill and thieves' tools because of multiclassing proficiencies. All in all that's 1d6 SA, 1 skill proficiency, proficiency in thieves' tools, and 2 doses of expertise (perception and stealth are often handy).

Good point. I forgot monk weapons get the Martial Arts die.

Given that you are a monk, heavy armor and bonus action attack will be pretty useless. Other than that, it depends on your playstyle and what you want to achieve with the dip. Arcana, Death, Grave, and Light are all pretty solid giving cantrips and abilities.

What I'm looking for is just a way to jazz up combat, mostly. He's super fast, so I usually have him hang out near the rear of the marching order and then charge it, spear and feet flailing. Lately since he has more Ki, I've been using Stunning Strike and his knock-prone Open Hand Technique for a little battlefield control.

Honestly? I'd go for Druid.

You might have passed over it for the slightly fewer features than the Cleric, but what you get in return is a much better spell list. Druids have tons of spells that benefit a melee martial:

Shilellagh
Magic Stone
Thorn Whip
Create Bonfire
Guidance

Jump (multiplies with Step of the Wind)
Absorb Elements
Longstrider
Earth Tremor
Healing Word
Speak With Animals

And more spells than the Cleric does for non-combat stuff. Most of the Cleric's stuff is Concentration-based, which isn't ideal for a primarily melee combatant.

Good points. Though I could go Nature cleric and get one of those tasty cantrips, plus three more. And Bless and Bane, which could be super-useful.

Cleric all the way even if just for the cantrips and BLESS.

Arcana - you get 2 bonus Wizard cantrips
Nature - extra cantip and skill
Light - use reaction to impose disadvantage on an attack
Tempest - use reaction to deal 2d8 lightning damage when hit with an attack
Grave - the only time Spare the Dying is a worthwhile cantrip. Also, make your limited healing more powerful.

Good food for thought! Thanks, folks!

JumboWheat01
2020-04-01, 04:56 PM
Cleric and Druid would be interesting for Ritual Spells as well. Sure, there aren't a whole lot of 1st level rituals for Clerics or Druids, but you can swap them out if you don't think you'll need them for the day.

Trustypeaches
2020-04-01, 05:23 PM
A 3 level dip into Ranger could do a lot for you, especially if your DM allows the class feature Variants.

Concentrationless Hunter's Mark, Absorb Elements, a Fighting style (Dueling will give your main attack with a spear more punch), Deft Explorer for expertise, temp hp, or extra movement. Then you can grab one of the good subclasses that don't change your action economy, like Gloom Stalker or Hunter.

Christew
2020-04-01, 05:48 PM
Hmm, jazzing up combat is a tough ask as monks can't really use some of the juiciest cantrips. I'd probably go Death for twinned chill touch as an opening salvo/ranged option (120ft 2d8 to each Target and they can't heal next round) or Light to be able to throw around Wis modifier # of blinding flashes to impose disadvantage in combat.

Honorable mention to Grave for useful Spare the Dying and boost to your relatively lackluster healing (waiting for maximized healing words when people drop is a solid way to use your limited cleric slots). Not really jazzing up combat, but your party will appreciate it.

Tokuhara
2020-04-01, 06:08 PM
I actually love 1 level dip into Knowledge Cleric. The bonuses aren't a lot on the surface, but there's some serious flavor, especially if you found Knowledge {Scrubbed} and be the smartest and wisest person in the room

JumboWheat01
2020-04-01, 06:11 PM
I always found Knowledge was better if you could spare at least 2 levels. Being able to be proficient in any skill or tool you need for a period of time is really handy.

Scarytincan
2020-04-01, 06:43 PM

In counter point, the bonus action attack can apply to ranged weapons, and when combined with gaining long bow, increases ur ranged damage handily. Even more with divine favor. And did I mention divine favor? Applying to four attacks? Generally u may want to avoid concentration on melees, but monks already have a lot of ways to avoid getting hit built into their kit, being a d8 class, especially against non melee attacks and with skirmishing away from melee combat. And did I mention divine favor for radiant damage on four attacks? I feel like it bears mentioning. A slightly more favorable domain for kensei, still very solid for others.

For me it would almost always come down to war domain or rogue for athletics expertise for grappling...

Draz74
2020-04-01, 08:10 PM
A 3 level dip into Ranger could do a lot for you, especially if your DM allows the class feature Variants.

Concentrationless Hunter's Mark, Absorb Elements, a Fighting style (Dueling will give your main attack with a spear more punch), Deft Explorer for expertise, temp hp, or extra movement. Then you can grab one of the good subclasses that don't change your action economy, like Gloom Stalker or Hunter.

The OP goes out of its way to explain that he only wants a 1-level dip. So that means no subclass features, fighting style, or Absorb Elements.

If you can use the UA, Ranger still could be worth considering.

KorvinStarmast
2020-04-01, 08:46 PM
Life Cleric.
Bless is always prepared.
Your healing spells get +4 or +5 to healing per die thanks to your high Wis as Monk.
Guidance and any 2 other cantrips.

And as for me, being able to cast Command and just tell someone to "Chill!" seems very monk like. :smallsmile:

quark12000
2020-04-01, 09:09 PM
Hmm, jazzing up combat is a tough ask as monks can't really use some of the juiciest cantrips. I'd probably go Death for twinned chill touch as an opening salvo/ranged option (120ft 2d8 to each Target and they can't heal next round) or Light to be able to throw around Wis modifier # of blinding flashes to impose disadvantage in combat.

Honorable mention to Grave for useful Spare the Dying and boost to your relatively lackluster healing (waiting for maximized healing words when people drop is a solid way to use your limited cleric slots). Not really jazzing up combat, but your party will appreciate it.
Death is out, but Grave and, especially, Light are definite possibilities. I'm really starting to warm to Nature, too.

In counter point, the bonus action attack can apply to ranged weapons, and when combined with gaining long bow, increases ur ranged damage handily. Even more with divine favor. And did I mention divine favor? Applying to four attacks? Generally u may want to avoid concentration on melees, but monks already have a lot of ways to avoid getting hit built into their kit, being a d8 class, especially against non melee attacks and with skirmishing away from melee combat. And did I mention divine favor for radiant damage on four attacks? I feel like it bears mentioning. A slightly more favorable domain for kensei, still very solid for others.

For me it would almost always come down to war domain or rogue for athletics expertise for grappling...

Hmm. I was looking at the cantrips for ranged damage. He's had access to longbows from creation, being a Wood Elf. A bow doesn't really jibe with my concept, though. Radiant damage would be nice. Oh, hey, please tell me all these ways of avoiding getting hit! Nearly went down in the last game against a vampire! That radiant damage would have been nice!

Athletics wouldn't go well with him. 8 strength.

The OP goes out of its way to explain that he only wants a 1-level dip. So that means no subclass features, fighting style, or Absorb Elements.

If you can use the UA, Ranger still could be worth considering.

'Fraid the UA stuff is out. AL character.

Say, is Dueling actually viable? Does a fist count as a melee weapon in this instance but not for Sneak Attack?

JumboWheat01
2020-04-01, 09:32 PM
Say, is Dueling actually viable? Does a fist count as a melee weapon in this instance but not for Sneak Attack?

I would say not.

"When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a 2+ bonus to damage rolls with that weapon."

You're not wielding your first. It's just there.

Scarytincan
2020-04-01, 09:35 PM
That's the beauty about grappling and athletics: you don't need a super high score to be decent at it. Proficiency (or better yet, expertise) is often enough as very few things actually have the athletics skill, having to instead rely only on their strength (or dex) scores alone. And especially as an open hand being able to trip easily to combine with grapple so they can't stand up until they break the grapple, and stun to synergize even more as it makes them fail against grapple and trip automatically. Next up, find the closest ledge and use slow fall as they plummet...

As to avoiding getting hit, for range you have deflect missiles, evasion, and later diamond soul on top of solid AC and patient defense (which also works for melee). For melee, you have fantastic mobility, and options for bonus action disengage and the open hand features (knock back, trip for disadvantage on opp attacks, or just take away their reactions which gives you free escape this round and next, and your allies benefit, and means they can't use other reaction abilities or spells).

Perhaps even better than all of those melee options, I would recommend the mobility feat if you don't have it, but even if not, you have lots of options. Even if you can't get in, hit, and get so far away that they can't reach you, backing off even a bit can often spare you as there may be a different target they'll go after, especially if there's another frontline engaging them, they probably don't want to eat the opp attack. And if they do, then free extra damage! Monks are fantastic skirmishers.

Christew
2020-04-01, 10:26 PM
Death is out, but Grave and, especially, Light are definite possibilities. I'm really starting to warm to Nature, too.
Snipped, but +1 for a great active feedback post. It is so much easier to give formative answers when the OP is willing/able to refine what they are looking for.

What exactly is enticing you about Nature cleric? I am a big fan of the subclass, but not usually as a dip and especially not for monk. What you gain:
1) Heavy armor proficiency -- useless to a monk
2) Animal Handling, Nature, or Survival proficiency -- shrug, thematic, but ultimately weak skills on most builds
3) One Cantrip -- this is the jus of the subclass, but for you?
Taking an earlier posters druid cantrip recommendations, in reverse order ...
Guidance -- you can get this as any cleric 1
Create Bonfire -- actually pretty solid for choke points, but eats an action and concentration for 2d8 of the most resisted damage only if they fail a DEX save
Thorn Whip -- one of my favorite cantrips, but as a monk do you really want to waste your action (ie no bonus unarmed attacks) pulling an enemy closer to you?
Magic Stone -- an undersung little cantrip, but 1d6+mod with no level scaling pales in comparison to other options (Toll the Dead or Sacred Flame)
Shillelagh -- to quote the right Admiral Akbar, "It's a trap!" I've always wanted to like this spell, but it never really seems to work right (except for low level Land druids who happen to get caught out in melee with no other options). It costs a bonus action in order to give you a) 1d8+WIS with a quarterstaff and b) magic damage. As a level 8 monk you can already do 1d8+DEX with a quarterstaff plus magic unarmed strikes or 1d6+DEX magic damage multiple times. Sounds nice on the tin, but you are sacrificing your bonus action (ie multiple unarmed strikes) for what?

Misterwhisper
2020-04-02, 12:31 AM
Personally I would just take more monk.

If you want to go cleric, I like the idea of arcana and going mostly utility.

Prestidigitation, minor illusion for arcane
Normal cleric goodies like guidance, and whatever else you like.
Bless is always good too.

Rogue is also good.
An extra skill is always welcome.
Expertise is solid gold, perception for one definitely, the other is kind of dependent on what your goal is.
Sneak attack is a minor bonus but hey, it is free. Also works if you need to use ranged weapons before the enemy gets to you.

Druid I just don’t see offering anything that cleric doesn’t just do better.

Teaguethebean
2020-04-02, 12:42 AM
I say one level of war cleric, with divine favor it adds a nice bump to your damage and before a d8 martial arts die warpriest can give a small damage boost to your bonus action attack if you want to save ki.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-04-02, 02:11 AM

Light Cleric!

You get burning hands which is always fun to take out mooks and faerie fire as a great utility spell.

Warding flare is pretty amazing and gives you a great option for your reaction if enemies aren't the shooting type.

You get 3 base Cantrips and Light.

Light
Sacred Flame
Toll of the Dead
(Pick one)

All cleric domains are pretty rad, I'm partial to Trickery, but for an Open Hand Monk... Spitting fire is pretty cool.

Ooh! Have them rap and when they fail the performance check "don't worry, y'all, I'm gonna spit fire next" and they won't expect you to be literal about the fire (refluff it as more of a breath weapon).

quark12000
2020-04-02, 03:16 AM
Snipped, but +1 for a great active feedback post. It is so much easier to give formative answers when the OP is willing/able to refine what they are looking for.

What exactly is enticing you about Nature cleric? I am a big fan of the subclass, but not usually as a dip and especially not for monk. What you gain:
1) Heavy armor proficiency -- useless to a monk
2) Animal Handling, Nature, or Survival proficiency -- shrug, thematic, but ultimately weak skills on most builds
3) One Cantrip -- this is the jus of the subclass, but for you?
Taking an earlier posters druid cantrip recommendations, in reverse order ...
Guidance -- you can get this as any cleric 1
Create Bonfire -- actually pretty solid for choke points, but eats an action and concentration for 2d8 of the most resisted damage only if they fail a DEX save
Thorn Whip -- one of my favorite cantrips, but as a monk do you really want to waste your action (ie no bonus unarmed attacks) pulling an enemy closer to you?
Magic Stone -- an undersung little cantrip, but 1d6+mod with no level scaling pales in comparison to other options (Toll the Dead or Sacred Flame)
Shillelagh -- to quote the right Admiral Akbar, "It's a trap!" I've always wanted to like this spell, but it never really seems to work right (except for low level Land druids who happen to get caught out in melee with no other options). It costs a bonus action in order to give you a) 1d8+WIS with a quarterstaff and b) magic damage. As a level 8 monk you can already do 1d8+DEX with a quarterstaff plus magic unarmed strikes or 1d6+DEX magic damage multiple times. Sounds nice on the tin, but you are sacrificing your bonus action (ie multiple unarmed strikes) for what?

I was thinking Thorn Whip for flying enemies.

I say one level of war cleric, with divine favor it adds a nice bump to your damage and before a d8 martial arts die warpriest can give a small damage boost to your bonus action attack if you want to save ki.

He is pretty devoted to his deity, Tyr...

Tokuhara
2020-04-02, 03:30 AM
He is pretty devoted to his deity, Tyr...

Weird thought:

With that info, War and Order are your most Thematic. But because you're AL, War works nicely. Just fluff your apparel as having "armor pieces," such as gauntlets and a pauldron or two. Just enough to show devotion while keeping your Unarmored Defense. Gives a style wholly unique to you. If I were you, however, dipping War Cleric early on is best to get the optimal use of WGB, but the armor and weapons proficiencies are a bust unless you can get some use out of say a Rapier. As for spells:

Cantrips: Guidance, Sacred Flame, Toll the Dead
1st Level: Bless, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, and Sanctuary (this one is a personal favorite because if you're clever, Sanctuary is just amazing)

CTurbo
2020-04-02, 04:06 AM
A single Cleric level gives you a lot. It's almost worth it for 2 castings of Bless each day, Guidance, and a ranged damage cantrip alone. Then you add in the domain extras and it's even better. Personally I prefer the two domains that have the cool/useful reaction abilities. Light and Tempest.

Of course Magic Initiate: Cleric can get you a lot of what a single level dip would give.

Christew
2020-04-02, 08:23 AM
With a 30ft range and only a 10ft pull, Thorn Whip is of middling use against fliers. Best use is for yanking people into AoE effects or off of ledges.

quark12000
2020-04-02, 05:02 PM
Weird thought:

With that info, War and Order are your most Thematic. But because you're AL, War works nicely. Just fluff your apparel as having "armor pieces," such as gauntlets and a pauldron or two. Just enough to show devotion while keeping your Unarmored Defense. Gives a style wholly unique to you. If I were you, however, dipping War Cleric early on is best to get the optimal use of WGB, but the armor and weapons proficiencies are a bust unless you can get some use out of say a Rapier. As for spells:

Cantrips: Guidance, Sacred Flame, Toll the Dead
1st Level: Bless, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, and Sanctuary (this one is a personal favorite because if you're clever, Sanctuary is just amazing)

I was thinking that his arc would have him mellowing from the rigidity of Tyr's teachings over time, so I'm more partial to Light than War at this point. Your spells are bang on, and lucky me, I'll basically be getting Sanctuary for free no matter what at 11th level.

A single Cleric level gives you a lot. It's almost worth it for 2 castings of Bless each day, Guidance, and a ranged damage cantrip alone. Then you add in the domain extras and it's even better. Personally I prefer the two domains that have the cool/useful reaction abilities. Light and Tempest.

Of course Magic Initiate: Cleric can get you a lot of what a single level dip would give.
I thought about Magic Initiate (more Warlock to get Hex and make Constitution weak against Stunning Strike), but I need all my remaining ASI's ( I used one to bump DEX and one for Mobile so far) to get DEX and WIS to 20.

Tokuhara
2020-04-02, 07:10 PM
I was thinking that his arc would have him mellowing from the rigidity of Tyr's teachings over time, so I'm more partial to Light than War at this point. Your spells are bang on, and lucky me, I'll basically be getting Sanctuary for free no matter what at 11th level.
I more went on Tyr's official domains, hence War. I also like Light, as well as the oddball choice of Grave (thinking more like a protector of the warrior dead)

I thought about Magic Initiate (more Warlock to get Hex and make Constitution weak against Stunning Strike), but I need all my remaining ASI's ( I used one to bump DEX and one for Mobile so far) to get DEX and WIS to 20.

Just a reminder: Hex is Ability Checks, not Saving Throws. Much better to target Strength or Dexterity to either grapple easier (especially great with a Grappler like a Barbarian or Fighter in the party)

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-04-02, 07:30 PM
I more went on Tyr's official domains, hence War. I also like Light, as well as the oddball choice of Grave (thinking more like a protector of the warrior dead)

Just a reminder: Hex is Ability Checks, not Saving Throws. Much better to target Strength or Dexterity to either grapple easier (especially great with a Grappler like a Barbarian or Fighter in the party)

Light diversifies the Monk so much better than War, War is redundant on the Monk.

Hex is good for a stealth creature to slap on an enemy to give them disadvantage on initiative checks (which is a dexterity check).

AgenderArcee
2020-04-02, 07:35 PM
I want to mention that a War Cleric dip will get you Divine Favor, adding 1d4 radiant damage to each of your attacks. Unlike Hex or Hunter's Mark, you don't have to use up your bonus action to move it around, just one bonus action to set it up at the start.

Scarytincan
2020-04-02, 09:18 PM
And especially if your campaign is undead heavy (you mentioned a vampire) radiant damage is fantastic to have. Shadows, vamps, zombies... Oh my!

kazaryu
2020-04-03, 02:09 AM

knowledge.:
not only do you get expertise in 2 knowledge skills (yay out of combat!) You also get *command* which is nice since its save is going to be wis based.
-want someone prone? order them to grovel (you might think its similar to your open hand ability...and it sort of is. except in this case it not only wastes their action on their next turn, it also guarantees they'll be prone rather than just..standing up (assuming they fail the save i mean))
-someone in position to receive several opportunity attacks? order them to 'flee'.

idea being that command is one of those spells thats more useful the more creative you are with it. obviously you also get a few other useful cleric spells (and toll the dead. yay!). but knowledge cleric specifically i think could add quite a bit of flexibility to you.

other options include:
tempest: non-spell hellish rebuke (still a dex save but lower damage, but a better damage type so...eh?)
fogcloud/thunderwave can also be useful. thunderwave in particular is an AoE prone.

forge: searing smite isn't horrible for you as you'll still get 2 opportunities to proc it, but the damage itself is meh, and its a con save so....
but it does also give you (or an ally) an extra magic weapon/armor.

quark12000
2020-04-03, 02:31 AM

Oh, I really had that wrong. Guess you can tell how often I've played a Warlock!

Yeah, I think I've narrowed it down to Light Cleric or Rogue, which I've come around on a little, even though I think the 1d6 extra damage dimishes as you get into higher levels (I don't really know, this is the highest level I've ever been), it's better than nothing. And the Expertise could be really helpful.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-04-03, 04:07 AM
knowledge.:
not only do you get expertise in 2 knowledge skills (yay out of combat!) You also get *command* which is nice since its save is going to be wis based.
-want someone prone? order them to grovel (you might think its similar to your open hand ability...and it sort of is. except in this case it not only wastes their action on their next turn, it also guarantees they'll be prone rather than just..standing up (assuming they fail the save i mean))
-someone in position to receive several opportunity attacks? order them to 'flee'.

idea being that command is one of those spells thats more useful the more creative you are with it. obviously you also get a few other useful cleric spells (and toll the dead. yay!). but knowledge cleric specifically i think could add quite a bit of flexibility to you.

other options include:
tempest: non-spell hellish rebuke (still a dex save but lower damage, but a better damage type so...eh?)
fogcloud/thunderwave can also be useful. thunderwave in particular is an AoE prone.

forge: searing smite isn't horrible for you as you'll still get 2 opportunities to proc it, but the damage itself is meh, and its a con save so....
but it does also give you (or an ally) an extra magic weapon/armor.

All Clerics gain Command. Honestly, if I could there is a lot of features out there that I would give up on different classes to have Command be At-Will. I rather gain a spell that Clerics normally don't get (charm person/ disguise self from trickery) and just prepare command.

Knowledge is a great domain, but not one of my favorites as a one level dip.

Tempest, Light, and Trickery are the best one level dips for a Monk like this. It diversifies their abilities all while giving the awesome power of cleric.

CTurbo
2020-04-03, 04:18 AM
Oh, I really had that wrong. Guess you can tell how often I've played a Warlock!

Yeah, I think I've narrowed it down to Light Cleric or Rogue, which I've come around on a little, even though I think the 1d6 extra damage dimishes as you get into higher levels (I don't really know, this is the highest level I've ever been), it's better than nothing. And the Expertise could be really helpful.

I'm curious as to what exactly you're wanting to have Expertise in. I mean obvious every character that's ever existed would benefit from having Expertise in Perception, but what else? I can see Expertise in Acrobatics being really handy for a Monk. 1 level of Rogue is not going to let you do anything new, it will just let you do a few things better. Druid or Cleric actually open up new options. Rogue and Druid are much better for a 2 level dip. Nothing is going to give you as much in just 1 level as a Cleric.

Zuras
2020-04-03, 07:59 AM
War Cleric is by far the best one level dip if you are looking at the combat applications.

You get
a +damage option (Divine Favor)
a +to-hit option (Bless)
a defense option (Shield of Faith)

Plus at least 2 other spells (probably healing & utility)

You can get Guidance as a cantrip, plus whatever other utility cantrips you want.

Rogue is a fine dip too, but only if you already know what you want expertise in and have a plan to use it.

Druid isn’t bad, but it doesn’t help much in combat. You already have Evasion, so Absorb Elements will be much less impressive on you than on a single class Druid, and the combat cantrips don’t mesh with your action economy. If you were a Four Elements Monk, it might still be fun thanks to the out of combat versatility of the element shaping cantrips you could take, but as an Open Hand Monk it doesn’t seem to match your concept.

col_impact
2020-04-03, 03:51 PM
Grab 1 level of Life Cleric, 2 levels of Moon Druid and be Kung Fu Panda.

Seriously, what can stop you once you hit high levels of monk?

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-04-03, 11:14 PM
I'm curious as to what exactly you're wanting to have Expertise in. I mean obvious every character that's ever existed would benefit from having Expertise in Perception, but what else? I can see Expertise in Acrobatics being really handy for a Monk. 1 level of Rogue is not going to let you do anything new, it will just let you do a few things better. Druid or Cleric actually open up new options. Rogue and Druid are much better for a 2 level dip. Nothing is going to give you as much in just 1 level as a Cleric.

Expertise Athletics or Acrobatics means that you won't get grappled or shoved much and with even a 13 you will have a really, really, good modifier.

Expertise Insight means you're golden in catching lies.

Expertise is one of the most broken features in the game.

kazaryu
2020-04-04, 03:41 AM
All Clerics gain Command. Honestly, if I could there is a lot of features out there that I would give up on different classes to have Command be At-Will. I rather gain a spell that Clerics normally don't get (charm person/ disguise self from trickery) and just prepare command.

Knowledge is a great domain, but not one of my favorites as a one level dip.

Tempest, Light, and Trickery are the best one level dips for a Monk like this. It diversifies their abilities all while giving the awesome power of cleric.

good point on command, although having it as a domain spell still means you don't need to prepare it. but you're right that its less useful than i originally thought.

trickster: gains effectively nothing for what the OP wants. disguise self/charm person are only useful on particular types of characters, and blessing of the trickster is only helpful for aiding an ally, outside of combat (i mean...i guess it could be incombat to if they're a rogue for example) but still its not really an active use abiity. a 2-3 level dip to get things like mirror image and invoke duplicity on the other hand might be nice. But, 1 level of trickster doesn't seem to give him anything he wants.

Light: could be good, reaction to grant disadvantage on an attack roll wismod/long rest is neat. although highly dependent on his wismod. and since wisdom is generally a monks secondary stat that may fall behind. burning hands is ok, but since this is a meant to be a high level dip its not gonna be great. faerie fire on the other hand could be nice. advantage on attacks. tasty.

tempest: hmmm, the wrath of the storm thing,.....2d8 damage at high levels isn't really alot. i mean, it exists, but realistically i think warding flare is probably better. the weapon/armor proficiencies obviously don't matter. however the spells....problem is fog cloud is only situationally useful. yes, it obscures you, but it also obscures your vision. so it *can* be nice, but generally it wouldnt be useful. thunderwave as forced movement, is essentially in the same boat. it can be really strong (although its also on con saves, which are weak) but its also only strong situationaly.

overall Light probably gives the most in combat stuff, but I'd still go with knowledge over tempest/trickery because of the expertise. and while command is on the clerics spell list (as you rightly pointed out) you're still left freed up to prepare things like healing word (for obvious reasons), protection from evil (high level, much more likely to be fighting outsiders), detect evil (same as protection), sanctuary (more situational, but also creative. obviously not for self casting as you already have it).

so yeah, light or knowledge imo.

Tokuhara
2020-04-04, 05:18 AM
Grab 1 level of Life Cleric, 2 levels of Moon Druid and be Kung Fu Panda.

Seriously, what can stop you once you hit high levels of monk?

OP said he only has 1 level relatively free, because they want to get all of their ASIs to get Dex and Wis to 20. While awesome, I don't think they want to do that

Falconcry
2020-04-04, 04:21 PM
If your issue is ranged flyers, I would also sing the praises of Arcana. Proficiency in Arcana for your bookish nature. 3 Cleric Cantrips and 2 Wizard cantrips that all work off Wis. Also have domain spells of Detect Magic and Magic Missiles prepared all the time. Magic Missile all targets then Toll the Dead are a nice combo.

col_impact
2020-04-05, 12:56 AM
OP said he only has 1 level relatively free, because they want to get all of their ASIs to get Dex and Wis to 20. While awesome, I don't think they want to do that
I post builds that I know are solid and competitive in teir 4 play. If people want to back off on power level then they are more than welcome to.

BoringInfoGuy
2020-04-06, 03:32 AM

Seconded on this. A rogue dip gives good stuff.

Short swords also work, being a finesse weapon and on the Monk weapon list. Your martial arts die makes the base damage irrelevant, so any magical daggers or short swords you find are equally useful to you.

Monks also have that nice little Stunning Strike ability, which among other things gives you advantage on your attack roll. So when you use that extra motion to get to that annoying enemy by yourself, you can make your first attack, attempt to stun, and add Sneak attack damage to your extra attack. If you don’t stun on that first attack, Stun lasts until the end of your next turn, so you could get that extra d6 damage next round. And of course advantage means a better chance of getting a critical, turning 1d6 into 2d6.

If you are looking for the best use of Healing word on a single level dip, go Life, not Grave.

Grave will maximize the healing die when a character is at 0 HP. Since this is a Monk, assume a +4 Wisdom bonus.
A Grave Cleric will heal 8 HP to a an ally who’s has 0 HP.

A Life Cleric adds an extra 2 HP + 1 HP per spell level, or +3 for first level spells. So with the same +4 Wisdom mod, Healing word will do 8 to 11 healing every time.

Basically, at first level, the Life Cleric’s minimum healing with every Healing Word will be the same as the Grave Clerics maximized heal on 0 HP allies. (Upcasted Healing words favor Grave until level 17, but this is only a single level dip)

The problem with either subclass is that Healing Word is a bonus action to use. Monks already have a use for their Bonus Action, either one extra unarmed attack from Martial Arts, or two unarmed attacks from Flurry of Blows.

Since every attack is another chance to use Stunning Strike, it’s more expensive for a Monk to use Healing Word in terms of Action Economy than for a Cleric. And at best he could only do it twice a day, if he wasn’t also casting Bless.

I’d recommend the Rogue dip over Cleric. An extra D6 damage most rounds will be continually useful, and expertise is one of the better abilities to have. Perception and Stealth are both tied off of key stats for a Monk.