Gamerawsome101
2020-04-01, 08:18 PM
I was wondering if I stab both of a commoners eyes what would you rule this as

Grod_The_Giant
2020-04-01, 08:26 PM
...murder?

KorvinStarmast
2020-04-01, 08:34 PM
I was wondering if I stab both of a commoners eyes what would you rule this as ... the kind of choices a player makes that leads me to not let them know when the next game session is.

Some DM's won't mind that event, if the character is being well played as a psychopath or a sociopath on a consistent basis and the rest of the table is on board with that gruesome characterization.

But you've offered no context for what is going on, so I'll take it at face value: someone ideating the bullying and maiming of an innocent bystander for fun.

Not the kind of person I care to have play at my table.

You asked for a ruling, and you got one. I hope that this answer was in some way helpful.

sithlordnergal
2020-04-02, 01:57 AM
Hmmm...just going on that information:

Two attack rolls, at disadvantage since you're aiming for a small, specific body part. The Common gets to make a con save vs. DC based on damage. If they fail, they are blind.

Outside of the damage, the PC is now in trouble with the law and likely has guards after them and the party.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-04-02, 04:58 AM
It sounds like the start of the adventure of "how to get away with murder" because the first mission will be "no witnesses".
Because it is D&D you need to make sure there will be no body left. If there is a reason to use a lot of resources to get you then you also need to make sure no one will have access to the soul.

Or just pay the fine.

Christew
2020-04-02, 08:32 AM
Senseless brutality against the working class?

Logistically, it depends on if we are talking about a conscious commoner or one that has already been subdued. If the commoner is conscious he/she only has 4 HP at max health. You would make a called shot (at disadvantage due to small target) to the eye with declared non-lethal damage, since otherwise he/she will just die. At this point the commoner will in all likelihood lose consciousness. Against a subdued commoner you could stab their eyes at will, but I would probably call it torture or heinous maiming at that point and release the town guard.

I hazard to ask, for fear of the answer, but why do you want to stab a poor commoner in the eyes?