PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Magic Ink Golem

sleepyhead
2020-04-01, 09:40 PM
As the party explores the vast library they come across a chest settled down on a table down a narrow hall of bookcases stacking to the ceiling. As you all approach the table you begin to see the books around you start to tremble and darkness starts to creep out of the books as the ink separates itself from the pages. The ink gathers quickly, forming a thin tall featureless black humanoid creature.

Magic Ink Golem
Large Construct, Unaligned

Armor Class 14 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 114 (12d10 + 48)
Speed 30'

Strength
Dexterity
Constitution
Intelligence
Wisdom
Charisma

18 (+4)
14 (+2)
18 (+4)
14 (+2)
8 (-1)
1 (-5)

Damage Resistances acid; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities poison, psychic
Condition Immunities exhaustion, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained, unconscious
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 9
Languages understands the languages of its creator but can't speak
Challenge ?

Ink Form The golem can enter a hostile creature's space and stop there. It can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing.

Innate Spellcasting The golem is an 5th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 12, +5 to hit with spell attacks). The golem has the following wizard spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): minor illusion, chill touch, dancing lights
1st level (4 slots): detect magic, magic missile, shield, thunderwave
2nd level (3 slots): acid arrow, detect thoughts, invisibility, mirror image
3rd level (2 slots): fear, counterspell, dispel magic, major image

Immutable Form The golem is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.

Magic Resistance The golem has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Magic Weapons The golem's weapon attacks are magical.

Actions

Multiattack. The golem makes two slam attacks.

Slam Melee Weapon Attack:
+7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) bludgeoning damage.

Whelm (Recharge 4-6) Each creature in the golem's space must make a DC 15 Strength saving throw. On a failure, a target takes 13 (2d8 + 4) bludgeoning damage. If it is Large or smaller, it is also grappled (escape DC 14). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained and unable to breathe. If the saving throw is successful, the target is pushed out of the golem's space.
The golem can grapple one Large creature or up to two Medium or smaller creatures at one time. At the start of each of the golem's turns, each target grappled by it takes 13 (2d8 + 4) bludgeoning damage. A creature within 5 feet of the golem can pull a creature or object out of it by taking an action to make a DC 14 Strength check and succeeding.

Not sure what it's cr would be. Or if there is any other good ideas for this type of creature. Basicly mixed water elemental with constructs and gave it casting.
Stole JNAProductions formatting for the stat block so thanks.

Magicspook
2020-04-02, 08:07 AM
Looks cool. Don't you think this one should have the magic resistance trait like all golems?

Id say the CR is 3. If you give it magic resistance, 4. Based on nothing but my own hunch.

EDIT: 'looks cool' doesn't quite cut it. I actually really like the fluff you've written. The featureless slenderman thing sounds terrifying if I'd have to fight it.

sleepyhead
2020-04-02, 06:50 PM
Looks cool. Don't you think this one should have the magic resistance trait like all golems?

Id say the CR is 3. If you give it magic resistance, 4. Based on nothing but my own hunch.

EDIT: 'looks cool' doesn't quite cut it. I actually really like the fluff you've written. The featureless slenderman thing sounds terrifying if I'd have to fight it.

Yes, yes it should.

The golem is just the water elemental with extra stuff so it's gotta be at least cr 5 right? Water Elemental (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_SRD:Water_Elemental)

Glad you like it but, I was thinking of making it so that it has words/ arcane symbols going across its body. Not sure.

Magicspook
2020-04-03, 02:25 AM
Huh. You're right. For something without any special abilities, the water elemental doesn't really look like cr 5. Oh well, as I said, I am basing this on jothing but my own intuition.