PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Metamagic and Item Creation Feats

Khazreil
2020-04-02, 01:48 AM
A player of mine was wondering if there was any way to apply metamagic feats to a spell as he is creating a potion/wand/etc. specifically things like maximized heal wounds/ sculpted fireball. I couldn't find anything in my search, but im very tired and probably missing something.

Troacctid
2020-04-02, 01:56 AM
Yes, you can do it. The item uses the spell's adjusted level to determine price and minimum caster level. Since you need to cast the spell as part of the process, you'll need access to the metamagic feat and a high enough slot.

Khazreil
2020-04-02, 02:04 AM
tysm. that was exactly what I needed

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-04-02, 09:52 PM
Now the question remains, what is the selling price of a potion if you have metamagic cost reduction feats? A potion of Maximized cure moderate wounds does the same whether it's from a normal slot or a reduced slot, regardless of how much you spent to make it. How would anyone know that you crafted it with fewer gp's worth of components if it does the same thing either way?

Could be a way to make that much more money from crafting, maybe?

Saintheart
2020-04-03, 12:39 AM
Now the question remains, what is the selling price of a potion if you have metamagic cost reduction feats? A potion of Maximized cure moderate wounds does the same whether it's from a normal slot or a reduced slot, regardless of how much you spent to make it. How would anyone know that you crafted it with fewer gp's worth of components if it does the same thing either way?

Could be a way to make that much more money from crafting, maybe?

You're always going to be undercut by the Ur-Priest or Divine Crusader down the road who can arguably if not legitimately brew 'em at one-for-one spell level to caster level.

More relevantly, if one wanted to get really literal about it, then brewing potions says:

The creator of a potion needs a level working surface and at least a few containers in which to mix liquids, as well as a source of heat to boil the brew. In addition, he needs ingredients. The costs for materials and ingredients are subsumed in the cost for brewing the potion—25 gp × the level of the spell × the level of the caster.

So a mealy-mouthed DM might say that your metamagic reduction feats don't matter. In order to make a Maximised CMW potion, you have to be X caster level, because a Maximised CMW potion takes up (whatever) level slot. Your metamagic reducers might reduce the spell slot from which that spell emanates, but they don't affect the caster level required to maximise a spell.

Potions, explicitly by the SRD, do not actually cast a spell. Unhelpfully, per Magic Item Basics...

A potion is an elixir concocted with a spell-like effect that affects only the drinker.

And yes, I know the creation section says the drinker is both the caster and the target.

Anyway, point is that the cost of the raw materials is tied to the level of the spell and the level of the caster, explicitly if not implicitly. If a DM says metamagic reduction costs only operate to reduce the spell slot from which you have to cast the spell, then metamagic reduction doesn't cut the cost of raw materials and thus doesn't make you any more money at the other end. Not on potions, anyway. I don't necessarily ascribe to this view, I'm just trying to play Devil's Advocate.

Ruethgar
2020-04-04, 06:25 PM
Adjudicate Sanctum spell(as always). A Potion of Sanctum Cure Minor Wounds grants you 50g and 2xp by default, easiest would be to make it use the spell slot instead of spell level and throw a book at them.

Troacctid
2020-04-04, 08:02 PM
You use the spell slot, not the spell level. There are many examples in the DMG to demonstrate this.