PDA

View Full Version : Wolf/Bat (PEACH)

Rowanomicon
2007-10-24, 01:48 AM
This is similar to creatures such as the Owlbear or Bearhound. I haven't decide don a name for this yet so suggestions are welcome. I've thought to Bathound (pronounced bat-hound), but that presents to problem of mispronunciation. I also thought about Batdog (like catdog...the show...get it?..it's funny...nevermind).

Anyway this is just a start as this creature is very much a work in progress.
My basic starting point is merging a Dire Bat with a Dire Wolf.
For ability scores (and other things) I will take the best of both worlds as a starting point with possible bonuses coming later. I think I'll start the Int out at 3 and maybe improve it later.)
I will also change the type to Magical Beast which is better (or the same) in every way except for the saves (Dire Animals get all good saves and Magical beasts just get good Fort and Ref). I'm not sure whether to over rule this at give them all good saves, but RAW says that Magical Beats don't have good Will saves.
Furthermore I'm going to give it enough HD to have all the feats that the Dire Wolf and Dire Bat have (9 HD by my count).
Now for the animal:

Size/Type: Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 9d10+27
Initiative: +6
Speed: 50ft, fly 40ft (good)
Armor Class: 20 (-1 Size, +6 Dex, +5 Natural), Touch 15, Flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+20
Attack: Bite +16 melee (1d8+10)
Full Attack: Bite +16 (1d8+10)
Space/Reach: 10ft/5ft
Special Attack: Trip
Special Qualities: Low-ligh Vision, Scent, Blindsense 40ft
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +12, Will +5
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 22, Con 17, Int 3, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills: I'll get to this later
Feats: Alertness, Run, Track (Bonus Feat), Weapon Focus (bite), Stealthy
Environment:
Organization:
Challenge Rating:
Treasure:
Alignment:
Advancement:
Level Adjustment:

Trip (Ex)
A (bat/wolf) that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip its opponent (+11 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the (bat/wolf).

Blindsense (Ex)
A (bat/wolf) uses echolocation to pinpoint creatures within 40 feet. Opponents still have total concealment against the (bat/wolf) unless it can actually see them.

Skills
(Bat/wolves) have a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks. These bonuses are lost if its blindsense is negated.

A (bat/wolf( has a +2 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot checks.

*It also has a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

That's it so far, more fine-tuning to come.
Any comments, complaints, commendation, or correction?

KillianHawkeye
2007-10-24, 05:42 AM
Attack: Bite +16 melee (1d8+7 is this right?)

The damage should be 1d8+10. Creatures with only one natural attack add 1.5x their Strength bonus to melee damage rolls (7 * 1.5 = 10.5). Everything else looks fine.

I'd suggest going with "Wolfbat" or "Night Hound." I'm kind of curious, what motivated you to try combining those particular animals?

DracoDei
2007-10-24, 05:52 AM
Monsters don't get iterative attacks with natural weapons. A variation is fine if you really feel the need, but it should be a listed special ability or feat or something...

Rowanomicon
2007-10-24, 03:17 PM
Draco, you mean is should only get one bite/round? OK, I'll change that.

I'll also change the damage. I wasn't sure if I should add 1.5x str mod or not, that's why I asked.

Wolfbat and Night Hound are both possible names names.

As for why these two creatures...they're both awesome!
Actually I've though a bat/wolf combo would be pretty cool for most of my life. I've always thought that vampires that can turn into both are pure awesome.
I think what might have started it was when I was younger and Beast Wars Transformer toys were coming out they had a commercial for the bat Optimus Primal and the crocodile Megatron and when they showed the CGI of Optimus transforming it looked, to me, kind of like a bat/wolf cross for a second. This got me all excited about the awesomeness of bat/wolves... too bad the toy was just a small blue bat and not a totally awesome bat/wolf... oh well Transformer toys were still the best toys ever (maybe tied with lego).

Any ideas on a CR for this thing?

Rowanomicon
2007-10-25, 11:21 PM
*shameless bump*

Besides the numbers that are still missing this creature feels incomplete; it's missing something, perhaps a special ability...
Any ideas?