PDA

View Full Version : Yuan-Ti Glamour Bard for ToA

Crgaston
2020-04-02, 11:25 AM
So, one of my groups is running ToA on Roll20 since we can't meet in person. I've never played a Yuan-Ti before and am wondering if this seems like a plausible backstory?

Mostly I'm bored lol.

Nadim Shandar is a Yuan-Ti Glamour Bard with the Entertainer background. He appears as a deeply sun-browned, slender man in his mid-50’s wearing shabby but serviceable clothes, and carrying various pouches and sacks along with his walking stick and his pungi, or reed flute. Although somewhat frail-looking, he is hale and spry, toughened by decades of walking and living in the jungle.

Nadim travels between the villages and outposts of Chult, making his living by performing, selling antivenin, and carrying messages or small parcels from place to place. He is known and loved by children, who gather to hear his stories and watch him perform. He is most famous, however, for his snake charming acts. The things he can get his snakes to do while telling a tale and playing his pungi must be seen to be believed. They often bring their pets to him because they believe Nadim can talk to their animals for them. (While he actually can do this, he passes it off as a harmless act if questioned about it by those in authority. There are some adults who believe that despite his denials, there must be some truth behind the act because they remember particularly compelling revelations from their own childhood, but mostly this is dismissed as childhood delusion.)

Despite being a Yuan-Ti, there are precious few physical characteristics which reveal this. Nadim’s skin is surprisingly tough, smooth and cool to the touch, and twice a year he avoids other people for a couple of weeks while he sheds his skin. Other than that, he passes as human to all but the most insightful investigation.

Nadim is able to successfully navigate and live alone in the jungle primarily through his relationship with snakes and other animals. His go-to trick is exchanging knowledge of a hard-to-reach food source (that he can plunder with Mage Hand) for a share of the spoils.

Although Nadim is technically an agent-in-place for the Yuan-Ti hierarchy, it has been many years since he has been contacted by his overseer. He suspects (rightly) that his handler has died without passing on instructions to contact Nadim. Although he probably should reestablish a connection, his independent nature means that he is content to be left alone for the time being.

Nadim is willing to join an adventuring party primarily because it is a diversion from his routine. He will also be interested in finding new and rare types of snake to make antivenom.

Here's a Hero Forge mini mock-up:
https://i.imgur.com/8Uzg29U.png

https://i.imgur.com/scgyfcY.png

firelistener
2020-04-03, 01:12 PM
This is great. I wish my players made characters half this developed. I really like how you explained Nadim's disconnection from Yuan-Ti society, but also left is somewhat vague. It'll be very easy for a DM to pick up threads for you if they want, maybe having some Yuan-Ti find him and try to reintegrate Nadim.

The "why is he willing to adventure" part is excellent. I often find that to be rather lacking for my players' characyers, but it's a solid bit with the search for rare snakes.

For the sake of offering at least some constructive criticism, maybe you could provide a sentence or two on Nadim's bonds and values. How does Nadim respond to laws that don't agree with his moral views? Is there a person or creature that Nadim values and stays in contact with outside his adventuring?

Segev
2020-04-03, 03:45 PM
There's a lot in here that makes him sound "kinder and gentler," which can be a plus in a PC, but it's worth noting that Yuan-ti are called out as cold-blooded in more ways than literal. They're without (strong) emotion, and don't form bonds or lose their tempers. Sociopaths, sort of.

How does your PC manifest this, if at all? If he doesn't, why not?

Crgaston
2020-04-04, 10:28 AM
Thans for the feedback, y'all!

We had our first Roll20 sesion last night, mostly just figuring out how to use the platform and bringing characters together... Several of the other players had started ToA as a side campaign before IRL things went sideways.

The DM decided that one of the other characters (A Lizardman who was stolen into slavery as a child and trying to find his home) has hired Nadim as a guide and that's how we ran across the rest of the group.

This is great. I wish my players made characters half this developed. I really like how you explained Nadim's disconnection from Yuan-Ti society, but also left is somewhat vague. It'll be very easy for a DM to pick up threads for you if they want, maybe having some Yuan-Ti find him and try to reintegrate Nadim.

The "why is he willing to adventure" part is excellent. I often find that to be rather lacking for my players' characyers, but it's a solid bit with the search for rare snakes.

For the sake of offering at least some constructive criticism, maybe you could provide a sentence or two on Nadim's bonds and values. How does Nadim respond to laws that don't agree with his moral views? Is there a person or creature that Nadim values and stays in contact with outside his adventuring?

The disconnect/easy in for the DM was intentional. DMs have the hardest job! Anything I can do to help facilitate good storytelling is a plus for everyone.

I don't typically like starting out with the bonds/flaws stuff from the gaming tables, as at this point in the game there are too many unknowns to make good choices.

But, (and this includes Segev's insights as well, so see below)

There's a lot in here that makes him sound "kinder and gentler," which can be a plus in a PC, but it's worth noting that Yuan-ti are called out as cold-blooded in more ways than literal. They're without (strong) emotion, and don't form bonds or lose their tempers. Sociopaths, sort of.

How does your PC manifest this, if at all? If he doesn't, why not?

Nadim started out as essentially an infiltrator. His outward facade of 'kinder, gentler' is precisely calculated to make him appear harmless and trustworthy. People are used to his comings and goings and share gossip with him, which means that he learns things that someone who is an outsider would not. He is certainly more than willing to spread misinformation or withhold crucial information if needed (assuming he is 'reactivated').

He doesn't have a strong connection to any one person at this point. That might be retconned as the campaign unfolds, though. For now I see him as someone who spends most of his time alone in the jungle with just snakes for companionship... and he likes it like that. It looks like most of the settlements are at least a week apart by foot, so he'd have to be comfortable with this to perform his role. He's not particularly eager to disrupt the status quo, but not out of concern for individuals or settlements... he just likes being left alone. Pretending to be the affable entertainer is an act that, while he's good at it, is not one that he particularly enjoys (or resents).

Meta-wise, it looks like the lizard person's home is really far away, but also warded against Yuan-ti. Nadim may well end up abandoning the party if their travels take them there.

firelistener
2020-04-06, 09:15 AM
Good stuff. Glad your campaign went well so far. Sounds like your character will be great at the table based on how things went and your attitude about being helpful to the GM.:smallsmile: