PDA

View Full Version : 5e Monk subclass: Way of The Boxer

Misterwhisper
2020-04-02, 05:56 PM
So here is my plan for a subclass all about unarmed strikes, specifically punches

BOXER

For some, the greatest weapon in the world is also the simplest, your own fists.

Through focus, dedication and unrelenting training, you have become a master of the sweet science, your strategy may seem simple to the untrained but sometimes what looks the most simple is actually a finely honed craft.

Keep Your Hands Up

Beginning at third level you know how to keep your guard up and read your opponent to better defend against them. You gain a +2 bonus to your AC against any opponent you strike with an unarmed attack, this bonus lasts until the end of your next round.

Press The Attack
The best way to find a crack in your opponent’s defense is to put them under pressure until they crack. When you strike an opponent with an unarmed strike until the beginning of your next round if that opponent tries to attack a different opponent, cast a spell, or retrieve an item, you may spend one Ki point to make an attack against them as a reaction. If you use your reaction to make an attack against someone who leaves your threat range, you may also follow that opponent assuming you have movement left to do so.

Hands of Steel
Beginning at level 6, your hands have been through so much punishment that they have become as hard as tempered steel.

Your unarmed strikes gain a bonus to attack and damage equal to ½ your proficiency, rounded down. This bonus also applies to your Keep Your Hands Up bonus.

Spellbreaker

Starting at level 11, your hands have become just as adept at defense as they are at offense.
You may use your deflect arrows ability against any ranged attack that targets only you.

No Escape

Starting at level 17, your focus and dedication has made you a master of the fundamentals of combat to the point that it is totally reflexive. Your unarmed strikes are never made with disadvantage, and your flurry of blows ability no longer costs you a Ki point.

Let me know what you think.

Garfunion
2020-04-02, 10:02 PM
I’m going to be honest the monk’s baseline class abilities already make it a good boxer.
I’m not entirely sure what you’re trying to create here. You kind a have pieces of the Kensi, sentinel feat, and hexblade curse tied into it.

I have an alternate suggestion, perhaps the barbarian might make a better choice for a boxer?

But anyway the archetype at the very least should weave strength into its concept. When I think of a boxer they should be more strength and dexterity based. Maybe when they do an unarmed strike using strength they may add dexterity to their defense.