PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder "Optimizing" aka making my ranger stand the test of time.

Spore
2020-04-03, 07:54 AM
The ranger in question: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2095245

I built him as a quasi sword and board cavalier/knight that has survival skills and a bit of staying power as a distraction for my real dangerous friends. I would like to protect my group. They are a Kineticist, Rogue, Summoner plus wolf eidolon (I assume they will become a trip machine and/or bigger boat build) and Ecclesitheurge cleric.

Neither are particularly optimized to speak off, but I want my build to go _somewhere_. For now I have decided on the Combat Reflexes + Bodyguard idea of improving allies's defenses. In Harm's way will probably be part of my build, as could be stuff like Dodge, Shield Focus and Step Up. I do not want to go overboard on AC however as saves are as important. Plus I should be able to dish out damage too, even though I assume our eidolon will outpace me relatively quickly.

Which direction and feats do you recommend? TWFing? Full defense? Pepper some offensive feats in? Switchhitting, my initial idea is not really feasible since our backline is quite weak.

Kurald Galain
2020-04-03, 08:06 AM
For a "sword and board cavalier", I don't get why you're picking the Ranger class?

With a party like this, I would go for TWF'ing for damage output. The rogue looks like he needs a flanking buddy, the trip-summoner and cleric probably don't do that much damage, so the party could use another heavy hitter. This does not interfere with taking Bodyguard, either; but it means you should be taking offensive feats instead of Dodge/Shield Focus.

Note that there's a trait that makes bodyguard do +3 (or +4 if you're adopted by halflings). Note also the Scarlet Rose Devotion feat.

And you're spreading your stats out pretty thin... I almost always go for an 18 or 19 in my primary stat.

Peat
2020-04-04, 08:22 AM
You say knight/cavalier - are you planning to be mounted for this?

Spore
2020-04-08, 09:10 AM
You say knight/cavalier - are you planning to be mounted for this?

Nope, just the concept of an anti-slavery movement, the Eagle Knights (https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Eagle_Knights).

Peat
2020-04-08, 09:30 AM
Gotcha.

I'm inclined to agree with Kurald about damage output, particularly if you won't be getting any from an animal companion due to Freebooter.

Palanan
2020-04-11, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by Spore
...I assume they will become a trip machine and/or bigger boat build....

What is a bigger boat build?

Originally Posted by Spore
...just the concept of an anti-slavery movement, the Eagle Knights.

Does this have a direct tie-in to Ruins of Azlant? Or did you just like the backstory concept?

Also, will you be posting a campaign journal? I have this AP but haven't run or played it, so I'd love a front-row seat with a group going through it.