PDA

View Full Version : In The Hands Of Asclepius [IC]

JNAProductions
2020-04-03, 06:01 PM
OOC Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?609887-In-The-Hands-Of-Asclepius-OOC&p=24433508#post24433508)

You remember it vividly. The fire, the rush of air as the ship was breached, everything fading to black as you spiraled towards the ground... You knew it was the end.

And yet, here you are. Awake, in a hospital bed. You're dressed in a clean hospital gown, with a few other beds in the same room. There are some lockers off to the side, not visibly locked. And a door, firmly closed. The whole room is spartan-white and sparse-but clean and warm.

What will you do?

Shadowflick
2020-04-03, 06:47 PM
Elaria shoots up from her bed suddenly, looking around warily as she finds herself connected to a machine "Where art Thy?" she says quietly as she takes in her surroundings. Perhaps a space station? Or...an antiquated hospital of some kind? She cant see any advanced technology just yet. She feels..slightly in pain, he bones creaking and her muscles sore from..whatever happened. She grabs onto the side of her bed and tries to get up. Might as well explore the room, perhaops the lockers? Her equipment may be in there.

JNAProductions
2020-04-03, 06:51 PM
Heading over to the lockers, you don't actually feel that bad. Most of the pain is phantom-maybe all of it.

The locker has most of your stuff-no weapons, but the rest of it is there.

Shadowflick
2020-04-03, 07:54 PM
Elaria rolls her shoulder, taking a deep breath "A Strange circumstance this is" She reaches into the locker and begins to put her equipment back on, spare her sword. QUickly, she dons her Hyperwave gamberson of fine craft and a purple cape with her family's Coat of Arms on it, a purple rose in front of a mountain. "WIll be a fine day once I replace my Gamberson with a suit of shining plate, but today tis, not that day. Hark! Be there anyone else here?"

Hyperbolic sine
2020-04-04, 04:25 AM
"Mmrrg." came the answer from one of the beds.

Well, it wasn't really an answer, seeing as the occupant was still in the process of regaining consciousness, but it still served to alert Elaria as to the presence of someone else.

"Mmrrg." Maxwell muttered. What the heck were people doing, speaking loudly in front of his cabin? He wanted to sleep some more. A whole ship, and they had to choose this place? A whole shi-

Wait. Ship? Wasn't he forgetting someth-

And then, all of a sudden, the memories of the crash rushed back to the forefront of his mind, jolting him completely awake.

A few seconds later, they mystery man, who seemed quite unwilling to open his eyes, suddenly jumped up to a sitting position, with a kind of deer-in-headlights (whatever a deer was supposed to be) look on his face, and then started patting himself down as if to check his condition.

"Phew." he sighed in relief upon determining he was still in one piece, then looked towards the lockers and finally noticed Elaria.

"Uhm...hi. What...what happened? Did you save me?"

Judging from her attire, the woman didn't look to be a patient, and he couldn't really fathom how he could have survived without someone dragging him to an escape pod while he was unconscious.

Shadowflick
2020-04-04, 12:12 PM
Elaria turns to the muffled sounds of the other survivor, she turns moving toward his bed "Hail and well met fellow stargazer. It seems that we both have been rescued in that most tragic explosion. Tis quite unfortunate. I have yet to find who rescued us, but I have been...looking. Do you remember anything?"

Hyperbolic sine
2020-04-04, 03:15 PM
The lady spoke curiously. I wonder where she's from.

"Not really, I fell and lost consciousness before reaching a pod. I thought you'd dragged me to one." Maxwell replied, then took note of Elaria's attire - or, really, just the fact that she wasn't wearing a hospital gown.

"Say, if you're the same as me, where did you f- ah."

The lockers, maybe?

Maxwell got off the bed and approach them, indeed finding his stuff inside. Well, his pistol was gone, but honestly that being the only thing missing was already a little miracle. Did...did he even bring his toolbox with him when he was running for his life? Yet here it was. A miracle indeed.

"Uh, name's Maxwell by the way."

JNAProductions
2020-04-04, 03:25 PM
There's a brief knocking at the door, and it opens, sliding quietly to the side. An orderly in scrubs pushes a cart in, with four trays on top. "Ah, I see you're up and about. You should find yourself in top condition, but all the same, I'd like you to sit back down while I do some basic examinations," he says. "There's also some food, though it doesn't look as if everyone is up yet. Hope you like sandwiches-afraid most of staff was busy dealing with the crash victims, so food won't be our top priority for the moment."

Shadowflick
2020-04-04, 04:31 PM
Elaria puts a hand on her chest "If I were still awake I would have most certainly pulled your body from the wreck If Thine had found it.! Sadly, I was also embraced by the world of sleep. A Pleasure to meet you Sir Maxwell."" She says with a curt bow.

She jumps slightly at the sound of the door opening..and finds that there's a newcomer! An Orderly. "Ah! Hail and well met apparent rescuer. Sandwiches are a fine means of filling my stomach..which does feel empty. Though, I must ask, wha actually..happened? The ship crashed and now we find ourselves here."

JNAProductions
2020-04-04, 08:30 PM
"Well, we... Okay, not really we, actually-different branches of government and all-but the government is investigating what caused the crash as we speak. Currently, no leads," he says, setting a tray down at the small table besides Elaria's bed. "But, when the crash happened, we figured out where you were going to land, and had people ready to pull any survivors and bodies out. And, after that," he continues, placing a second tray by Maxwell's bed, "Asclepius worked his wonders. I believe you were actually dead for a bit there, Maxwell-two or three hours."

Shadowflick
2020-04-04, 08:46 PM
Elaria cups her hand over her mouth and gasps in audible shock "D..dead! You mean I met thine end aboared that burning starship! Good heavens that is..most disappointing. I wish to die by the flames of a dragon! Not the flames of some incident not under my control. Tis most troubling that would have been my end were it not for this...Asclepius fellow? I must meet him in person and give him my thanks. Tis the only noble thing to do."

JNAProductions
2020-04-04, 08:53 PM
"No, I think you were just near death. I'm afraid I wasn't there, so this is all second-hand info for me. As for talking to Asclepius..." he says, and fishes around in his pocket. He pulls out a small compad, and sets it on some of the empty space on his cart. He types in a quick password, covering the screen with his hand so you can't see it, and then taps a few more buttons on the screen. "Sir? Two of your patients are awake, and they want to talk to you."

"Excellent! I trust they find themselves in good health?" comes a pleasant, calm, and professional voice.

The voice isn't quite right. You wouldn't call it synthesized, but that's the closest you can peg it. It might simply be a non-native speaker who's not QUITE fluent yet... But that's kinda odd, all the same.

"I'm about to take their vitals now. Please, sit down, ma'am, so I can check everything," he says. "And feel free to ask Asclepius whatever you like-I've yet to offend them with any of my dumb questions."

Shadowflick
2020-04-05, 11:08 AM
"Oh, yes of course of course" Elaria says taking a seat. She waits as the orderly types in the password, and tilts her head as their apparent savior starts to speak "So we will be talking like this? I had wanted to meet you in person but perhaps this will do. I, Elaria Monzian, would like to thank you for saving thine life. Also, if you could tell us exactly what happened, I would be most appreciative"

JNAProductions
2020-04-05, 11:36 AM
"For now, yes-I'm a bit busy with some other things at the moment. Not so busy I can't spare some concentration to talk with you, but in person... That will have to wait," Asclepius responds. "We are still investigating the cuase of the crash, but as soon as we were alerted to it, we had people dispatched to help the victims. You were brought to here, my nearest facility, and treated. Most of the victims were able to be saved-and once they were stable and breathing, it was a simple matter to bring them back to top notch working order. A few, though, were completely destroyed in the crash.

It has been three days since the crash, for your information.

Hyperbolic sine
2020-04-05, 12:13 PM
Dead for three hours.

...well, that made much more sense than somehow surviving without injuries.

That said, basic life saving procedures would have left those injuries, and they had none. Whatever treatment they recieved, it couldn't have been cheap; unless they crashed on one of those legendary planets where pretech was still relatively common, this Asclepius fellow must be afwully good-hearted.

"Well, uh...thanks, Sir." Maxwell said, kind of lost for words.

Bringing them back to working order had been a simple matter, apparently. So...perhaps this was indeed one of those planets, after all?

"If I can ask...where are we, exactly?"

JNAProductions
2020-04-05, 12:18 PM
"Deidame," the orderly replies. "Specifically, you're in a hospital in the city of Derming. It's not where your ship was supposed to land, but it's how it all shook out."

"You're most welcome," Asclepius says. "But, as a doctor of the highest degree, I'd be remiss in my duties if I didn't do all I could to help others."

Shadowflick
2020-04-05, 12:30 PM
Elaria raises an eyebrow at the doctor's response "SPlit your concentration? Are you performing surgery right now? You must be a most impressive doctor! I'm glad to hear that most of the people managed to live because of your efforts, and even bring several back from the dead like Sir Maxwell here. When are we free to leave this hospital? And when can we collect our other items? My shield and blade are most important to me."

Modigar
2020-04-05, 01:10 PM
A figure on another bed suddenly darts awake. Glancing around the room, her entire body starts glowing faintly. "What the hell happened? Where am I?" She hasn't made any threatening motions towards anyone else, but as she speaks, she slowly backs into a corner and clearly stands ready to move.

Hyperbolic sine
2020-04-06, 03:35 AM
Maxwell, focused on the screen, gave a little start at the sudden movement and noise, then looked towards the source.

"You're safe, don't worry." he tried to soothe the woman. "We're in a hospital. A doctor named Asclepius treated us after the crash, we were talking to him just now." he added, gesturing at the screen.

JNAProductions
2020-04-06, 09:27 AM
"Breathe easy, breathe," the orderly says. "You're okay-you're okay. Take a few moments to calm down-can I help?"

Shadowflick
2020-04-06, 04:55 PM
Elaria turn to regard the disturbed psion, raising her hands to look non-threatning "We mean to bring you no harm magister! We were all caught on the same ship that happened to crash. Luckily, Doctor Asclepius took us from the wreck and brought us back to tip top shape."

Modigar
2020-04-07, 09:08 AM
Her breathing slowly calms, and she drops her hands to her side, the glow fading slightly, but not yet dissipated. "What happened then? I remember... the breach. Falling from the ship. I tried to protect myself, but this?" She gestures up and down her body, indicating the glow. "This wouldn't have saved me from an impact like that. Maybe made my corpse a bit more intact, but definitely dead. How are we alive?" The glow finally fades away entirely.

Hyperbolic sine
2020-04-07, 11:50 AM
"Well, I've apparently been dead for a couple of hours." Maxwell offered with a shrug. He didn't know the details, and luckily he was never in need because he could have never afforded it, but organ regrowth was a relatively standard medical procedure. He didn't find it exceedingly strange.

...plus, he was pretty clearly alive.

"By the way, what is that?"

Psychics, on the other hand, were something he was absolutely not familiar with.

JNAProductions
2020-04-07, 01:09 PM
The orderly seems quite relieved that the freshly awoken and apparently psychic woman has calmed down. He says "It... It may be best for you to meet Asclepius. If you're willing to wait here a little, I'll see when they can be freed up." He turns to leave, but stops a moment. "Oh, and ma'am-there's a tray with a sandwich for you. Local foods, so apologies if the taste is odd to you, but it's edible."

Shadowflick
2020-04-07, 06:44 PM
Elaria looks to Max Well, she's a magister! her powers are the kind that let her shap reality to her whim! My father had a court Magister, though he focused more on teleportation...I do not know what..that is? IS it some kind of mystical armor?" Elaria asks, moving closer...before the orderly speaks up

"Oh! That would be grand! It is only right that I give a gift from thine family as repayment for his service. I'm sure my father will give him a great reward. I was actually here to start an outpost of sorts for my House. onzian if you've heard about it. We Mine and create the greatest of Moonsilver weapons and tools.""

JNAProductions
2020-04-07, 06:45 PM
The orderly smiles, and heads out.

So, you can either talk amongst yourselves, or we can skip ahead to when Asclepius themself arrives.

Hyperbolic sine
2020-04-08, 10:12 AM
"Oh."

It took a moment for Maxwell to process the explanation, but when he did, he eyed the psychic woman somewhat warily. He couldn't help it; he never met one before, and the stories he was told...well, they weren't exactly flattering.

But, well, if one worked as a "court magister", then surely they couldn't all be mad, could they?

Once the orderly left the room, Maxwell turned once again to his...roommates? Seemed appropriate.

"Well." His eyes flitted from on woman to the other. "I guess it's formal introductions time?"

"Maxwell Fawkes, Senior Technician Level 2." he said, then frowned slightly. "Well, I guess I'm just Maxwell Fawkes now."

Then, once the introductions were taken care of - or brushed off - he'd approach the locker with his stuff. "Do you mind if I change into actual clothes?"

I'm ready to move on whenever.

Shadowflick
2020-04-08, 01:35 PM
Elaria waves a hand "Oh no, of course. please do. To be in hospice robes is enough of a curse. Just make sure to do it somewhere else Sir Maxwell. I already revealed myself, but my title is Countess Elaria Monzian, of House Monzian, well, soon to be Countess. Im more of a Knight errant at the moment."

Modigar
2020-04-10, 11:35 AM
She glances around, still slightly wary of the group, but nods. "Go ahead. So long as you don't try anything funny, I don't care. Call me Montresor by the way."

JNAProductions
2020-04-10, 12:15 PM
Soon enough, everyone is dressed again. There's a few minutes of awkward silence, with no one really knowing what to say, then a knock at the door. "You wished to see me?" you hear Asclepius's voice from outside.

Shadowflick
2020-04-11, 02:21 AM
"Ah! Well, it's good to be meeting you Lady Montresor! YOu know, I could always use a Magister in my court once I hav become established here. Same with a court engineer. If you two would be interested in some positions..," Before she can finish though, the voice of there savior is heard from behind the door

"Ah! Our rescuer! Finally here in the Flesh! Do not be shy, please come in! It's only fitting I be able to properly thank you with a firm handshake, as well as a proper repayment of your kindness. Perhaps a quest of some sort!""

Hyperbolic sine
2020-04-11, 10:03 AM
Back on Arcadia, privacy was something only the upper class could afford; the cramped spaces made it an almost foreign concept to the rest of the population. Judging from the women's reactions, it was a good thing that Elaria presenting herself as some kind of noble had prompted Maxwell's brain to consider asking.

Though the comment about 'not trying anything' still kind of made him raise an eyebrow in confusion before he finally got the meaning. Must have grown up in some awful place. Or maybe it was some psychic thing.

After the knock, Maxwell turned to the door. Since Elaria had already invited Asclepius in, he just waited for the healer to enter.

JNAProductions
2020-04-11, 06:49 PM
The door opens, and in walks an androgynous, mechanical person. Asclepius stands short, at only 5' tall, and is dressed in a plain white doctor's outfit. Their eyes are a brilliant blue, and seem... You wouldn't say "distracted", because Asclepius is clear and cognizant, but as if they're focusing on more than just you.

Modigar
2020-04-12, 01:06 PM
"So... you're the one who knitted us back together then? Impressive trick." She watches Asclepius, but positions herself so as to not take her eyes off of the others as she does so. "Thanks for that. Still, I'd rather not waste time, what do you want from us? I rather imagine it was a lot of work, saving our lives, and nobody does that for nothing."

JNAProductions
2020-04-12, 01:07 PM
"I was under the impression you wanted to see me," they say with a chuckle. "Because, believe it or not, I truly do this for the sake of others. I will heal the world-first this one, and then the galaxy. It'll just take time."

Shadowflick
2020-04-12, 02:10 PM
Elaria tilts her head, looking down at Asclepius, scratching her chin "My good sir you seem rahter..well..I must ask what kinds of modifications have you had? Thine not like most people I have met before. Though, I do admire your goal! Quite Chivalrous indeed! To put others before thyself is a tenet of the code of Chivalry."

JNAProductions
2020-04-12, 06:30 PM
"This body? Wholly artificial. I've been attempting to craft a bio-technical body, though progress is slow on that front. For now, droid bodies will do," they reply. "And of course-it is only right to help others. I have talent-to use them for myself alone would be indefensible."

Hyperbolic sine
2020-04-13, 11:36 AM
Maxwell had peered curiously at Asclepius once it became clear it was a wholly mechanical being. Experts system were commonplace on Arcadia, but VIs were not - there were a few, but nowhere near where a level 2 technicians had any reason to roam.

It stood to reason, then, that it would help with no string attached, if it was programmed to love its job and somehow had decisional power.

"Oh? How do you mean?" he asked once Asclepius talked about crafting a new body. Biological components aside, as far as he knew VIs were intrinsically bound to their "birth" chassis. Was this one somehow not aware? Or was it a lie perpetrated by VI manufacturers? Neither explanation seemed plausible.

JNAProductions
2020-04-13, 11:55 AM
"How do I mean what?" they ask. "A biological body is... Difficult to craft, in such a way to contain an intellect not birthed with it. It's more of an idle project, anyway-my focus is on medicine. Speaking of which, as a doctor, I insist you start walking-test your muscles, make sure they're all up to par."

Asclepius opens the door, gesturing for you to go ahead of them. "We've a rather nice courtyard, if you'd like to walk outside for a bit. I do ask that you not leave the premises of this facility for at least the next hour, just so we can monitor you all properly."

Shadowflick
2020-04-13, 09:59 PM
"Indeed, I've never seen such a fine and intelligent piece of machinery before. Programmed to do good in the galaxy, not bound by a single planet. It's rather fascinating. Who created you to be like this if I may ask?"

Hyperbolic sine
2020-04-14, 12:37 PM
"I mean that your kind should not be able to jump cha- ah, well, nevermind."

Maxwell scratched his head. Perhaps it would be better to drop the matter, for now.

"Err...right. Walk." he said, making for the door.

Modigar
2020-04-14, 02:39 PM
Montresor looks rather discomforted and sceptical of Asclepius's claims of benevolence without ulterior motives, but doesn't question it. "Right, yes. Exercise. Got to avoid atrophy. Let's go." She follows Maxwell to the door, still subtly keeping an eye on the others as she does so.

JNAProductions
2020-04-14, 06:32 PM
As you walk, Asclepius is happy to talk about themself. You learn that this body is a pretech artifact, as Asclepius is as well. They also introduce you to a few employees you pass by, and remarks on the local flora as you walk through a small garden.

Putting the pieces together is kinda tough. Their words are careful-to not upset you, perhaps? Or maybe they're ashamed? Or, maybe, they think you'd be afraid.

Asclepius is not a VI. Asclepius is an AI.

Shadowflick
2020-04-15, 09:16 PM
Elaria doesn't much mind the stretch. She used to do more than her fair share of excersize when she was practicing her fencing! She walks alongside Ascelpius, only a tad suscipicious "So then, how did you find yourself surrounded by so many people? And who funds this place? Are thes eall fellow star gazers who were in accidents or did they just feel drawn to you?"

[roll0]

JNAProductions
2020-04-16, 11:11 AM
"This planet had a dark period. A time of barbarism, where people lacked culture and technology. I was powerless, for a time, but when I was able to come to life again..." Asclepius says, "I helped raise the people of Deidame up. My specialty is, as is plain to see, medicine and doctoring, and I used that to my fullest advantage. I saved a few sickly monarchs, getting their word to work towards peace. They didn't always keep their words, but enough did that I was able to begin making progress towards a unified Deidame. I do not rule this planet-but I am trusted by all those who live here, and have some amount of sway among the halls of government. Certainly enough to keep funding for my research and work."

Hyperbolic sine
2020-04-16, 01:31 PM
Using the Expert's take-10 ability, for a total of 11.

Maxwell had grown increasingly silent as the conversation went on, each and every of Asclepius's sentences inesorably bringing forth an otherwise unthinkable conclusion. If it...they? If they thought being forthcoming would induce fear, then they were at least partly correct, because Maxwell was feeling at least a measure of dread.

Much like with psychics, not one story he heard about an AI ended well; however, unlike with psychics, he had actually experienced what happened when a bot glitched, so the stories about AIs felt much more real, in a sense.

Unsure what to ask and how to ask, he wordlessly tagged along the others.

Shadowflick
2020-04-17, 09:39 PM
"But if this place was so full of savages who were behind in terms of technology...how did you come to exist? Were you some cast-off piece of a lost colony ship? Or are you..something more? I've heard tales of...well if you'll excuse my language, Liches. Lifeless beings whom's intellect are dangerous to the galaxy at large.

JNAProductions
2020-04-17, 10:34 PM
"I was built here. It was during the Silence that this world descended-we were a vibrant, thriving planet before then," Asclepius says. "My apologies if I was not clear."

Hyperbolic sine
2020-04-18, 02:51 PM
Maxwell couldn't help but give Elaria an 'are you crazy' look at her potentially dangerous question. Hopefully no one noticed.

"Ah, yes, uh...I can only imagine." he tentatively offered, trying to steer the conversation away from Asclepius's nature. "So this is what medical science could do back then, then? Stitch people back together as long as they weren't, uh, 'completely destroyed'?"

JNAProductions
2020-04-18, 06:45 PM
"That and more. I'm afraid that the questions will have to be over for now, though-your bodies seem in fine working order, as do your minds-a curious bunch, you are!-and I have other patients that require attention. If you just go down that hall there," they say, gesturing to an open hall and giving you a few more directions. "After that, you should see Zane. He'll get the remainder of your gear for you, and you'll be able to leave with a clean bill of health."

Hyperbolic sine
2020-04-20, 10:51 AM
"Ah, yes, of course. Sorry to, uh, bother you." Maxwell replied with a weak and slightly nervous laugh. "Er, thank you, again." he then said, taking his leave and beginning to follow the directions their were given.

Shadowflick
2020-04-20, 11:41 PM
ELaria seems completly ignorant of why her question may have caused offense. After all, it is a machine. SHe bows "Still, I thank you for saving our lives. If there's anything I can do, anything at all, please! don't be a stranger" she nods, and heads off to collect her equipment as well.

Modigar
2020-04-21, 04:58 AM
Sparing one last suspicious glance for Asclepius, motivated more by his seemingly selfless benevolence than any concerns about his nature, Montresor nods to him slightly before turning to leave. "Yeah, thanks." That said, she follows the others to go pick up her equipment. "So," she says, turning to Elara, "You said you could do with a 'magister', right? Because I find myself in need of a new employer, my last met his untimely end upon the ship."

Shadowflick
2020-04-21, 08:13 PM
Elaria turns on her heal suddenly, still walking backwards as they head to get there equipment "Oh? You mean you would like to join in my house! It is true, starting one out here leaves me with little to recruit, and a Magister doesn't just offer themself to you for free..hmm, I Accept you into my house! Once we get my sword I will name thee thine magister."

Modigar
2020-04-29, 05:10 PM
Montresor nods solemnly to Elaria. "Then we have an accord. When you have the resources once more, I will enter your employ. So long as I don't get an even better offer in the meantime. For now though, I'll stick around and keep you alive." She smirks. "Agreement's not much worth if you're dead after all, and it means you know what you're getting."