PDA

View Full Version : Wizard with a dip in Hexblade?

kbob
2020-04-03, 08:41 PM
So I’m making a brand new char. Starting at level 1. I’m playing a Yuan-Ti Wizard. From an optimization standpoint, would a level dip in Hexblade be worth it before going Wizard 19? I realize I will be a spell casting level behind (which is huge!) but the advantages you gain from Hexblade 1 (synergies with the +2 Cha from YTi) seem like they could be worth it. It would defin help in an area the Wizard is weak in. Again this a min/max view. Thoughts?

ProsecutorGodot
2020-04-03, 09:00 PM
I believe Cleric is the preferred dip for Wizards who want a bit extra, it doesn't hurt your spellcasting progression and in some subclasses can even give you heavy armor proficiency which is something not usually obtainable via multiclassing.

Order Cleric is particularly good for a single level Wizard dip if you plan to be casting spells like Haste or Enlarge early in your career. Tempest Cleric is particularly good for Blaster Builds as you can take 2 levels in for channel divinity (what you would take for Invocations) to maximimize a Lightning Bolt once per short rest for 48 damage instead.

A 2 level dip into Fighter is also decent as Action Surge lets you really sling those spells. You'd have to start with a level in Fighter if you wanted Heavy Armor out of it, but since you seem to be considering Hexblade for the armor proficiency you might not value it as much.

Hexblade isn't a bad choice exactly, my only real complaint with it is that Hexblade's Curse is reliant on attack rolls. Wizard's don't make as many attack rolls as Warlocks do and your EB is going to have a poor chance to hit compared to your Wizard spells become Charisma is a secondary (or tertiary) stat. You're only using half of Hex Warrior as well for the same reason, as weapons using your charisma bonus aren't going to be much better than a Shocking Grasp or a Dex based attack as a Fighter.

Wasp
2020-04-03, 09:18 PM
It's definitely a beloved combo for Evokers with the goal to nova with Empowered Evocation, Hexblade’s Curse and Magic Missile shenanigans.

Talionis
2020-04-03, 09:21 PM
What Wizard subclass? If Abjuration then yes it’s the best dip. Otherwise Fighter 2 or Cleric 1 or 2 is better.

For Abjuration you add Armor of Agathys to your spellist. That with Charisma to attack, medium armor and shield is very good. With one level of dip you get a lot.

GentlemanVoodoo
2020-04-03, 09:43 PM
Subclass for wizard is the deciding factor. If your planning to use the blade singer, the hexblade will work perfectly. Other wizard subclasses not so much.

AttilatheYeon
2020-04-03, 11:56 PM
If you can wait til level 11, evoker works nicely for making huge damage MM.

Christew
2020-04-04, 12:29 AM
Hexblade is definitely powerful, but if you are building mostly Wizard it has opportunity cost. At 20, a dip would cost you Signature Spells and a 7th level spell slot for Hex Warrior, Hexblade's Curse, and Pact Magic. That is a significant trade-off and can really only be evaluated based on what level you will start/play to and your Wizard school. If you are starting from one, yeah Hexblade can offer significant benefits, if you are starting higher or theorycrafting Wizard 20 is tough to let go.

Also, kudos for finding a DM that will let you play Yuan-Ti if this is not theoretical.

Maan
2020-04-04, 03:10 AM
You might want to take a look at this build:
https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=23998967&postcount=170

Witty Username
2020-04-04, 03:30 AM
If you are going evoker, yes. Maybe ask your table about magic missile empowered evocation first.

If you are going abjurer, hexblade 1 or 2 can work well. Armor of Agythas and arcane ward make for a tough mage. If you go hexblade 2 and grab armor of shadows(mage armor at will) you can at will refresh your arcane ward. That one is a bit of a glitch so maybe ask your playgroup if they are cool with that.

Benny89
2020-04-04, 12:40 PM
There are only two reasons I would take Hexblade dip for Wizard:

1. Evocation Wizard/1 Hexblade for Magic Missle nuking. Its super strong combo that can kill Ancient Red Dragon in 4 rounds.

2. Svirfneblin Abjuration Wizard/1 Hexblade to grab Medium Armor, Curse + Hex for Magic Missle/Scorching Ray DPR (especially good at lower levels). And Armor of Agathys for super strong combo of AoA + Ward. Deep Gnome already gets free Nondetection spam to refill Ward so it works great.

Other than that- I don't think it's worth it as much.

Thought Hexblade is never a bad dip.

Callak_Remier
2020-04-04, 07:53 PM
Did you get the all clear from your DM about the Yuan-ti pureblood?

Have you researched thier societal outlook and how that will impact your roleplay?

kbob
2020-04-05, 12:52 AM
Hey thanks guys! This really helps. Got some ideas going.