PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Big bad stats help

Honeyhat
2020-04-04, 08:37 AM
I've been trying to make custom stat-block (mixing a few already made monster stats as well as some custom things) for the first Big Bad of my campaign. I'm going for a CR 16 (ideally the party of 6 will be level 10-11 when they encounter him). Any help balancing him out would be greatly appreciated :smallsmile:

Anyway, here he is:

OROS VADRIN, THE STORMSWORN
Medium humanoid, Lawful evil

Armour Class: 20 (Plate, Shield)
Hit Points: 229 (27d8 + 108)
Speed: 30 ft

STR 20 (+5)
DEX 16 (+3)
CON 18 (+4)
WIS 12 (+1)
INT 12 (+1)
CHA 19 (+4)

Saving Throws: Str +10, Con +9, Wis +6, Cha +9
Skills Athletics: +10, Intimidation +9, Perception +6, Persuasion +9
Damage Resistances: Lightning, thunder, bludgeoning/piercing/slashing damage from non-mag weapons
Languages Common: Infernal
Senses Darkvision 60ft, passive perception 16

TRAITS
Legendary Resist (3/day)
Lightning Smite (1/turn): Paladins smite ability
Spellcasting: DC 17, paladin spells

1st (4 slots): Command, Cure Wounds, Thunderous Smite, Wrathful Smite
2nd (3 slots): Branding Smite, Shield of Faith
3rd (3 slots): Crusader’s Mantle
4th (1 slot): Banishment, Find Greater Steed

ACTIONS
Multiattack: Red haze, then three Lightning blade attacks
Lightning Blade: +13, Lightning damage (it's a sun blade but lightning damage, the +2 to hit/damage already added)
Red Haze: One target within 30ft, DC 17 Wisdom save, charmed/stunned on a failure until the end of Oros' next turn (immune to future attempts on a success)

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
Weapon Attack
Command Ally: One target, if it can see and hear Oros is uses its reaction to take a swing with advantage
Frighten Foe (2 Actions): Single target, 30ft, DC 17 WIsdom save of be frightened until the end of Oros' next turn

SPECIAL ITEM
Mask of Fury:
Savagery Incarnate: Your Strength score increases by +2 STR (to a maximum of 20) (already added to stats)
Infernal Branding: Whenever you conjure a creature or construct, both you and it gain resistance to fire damage and weapon attacks do an extra 1d4 fire damage

loki_ragnarock
2020-04-04, 09:53 AM
The Paladin smite ability can get real wonky with regards to calculating CR.

What I'd do instead is give his melee attacks a flat +3d8 radiant damage on the first hit in a turn. It makes it more consistent, and will play smoother at the table.

EDIT:
Also, it would play better with the "smite" spells.

DevilMcam
2020-04-04, 11:53 AM
My Two cents :
Looking at the ability, this boss looks quite complicated to run, it should manage plenty of actions (bonus, legendaries...), minions, buffs and keep track of concentration because of the multiple spells. Also without th smite, it's attacks are very odd : +13 to hit seems too high for its stats (should be +12 with a +2 weapon) while the dmage (1d8+7?) seems pretty weak. Giving Him a Magical sword also means the player will most likely loot it. You may or may not want that as this one seems especially Powerfull.
with it 30 feets walking speed and no ranged threat, a party of level 7 with 2 spellcaster would turn him to red pulp without effort. dispell magic on the Steed and plant Growth would pin him down to uselessness where the legendary resistances would be of no use.

I would go with something a bit simpler like this (in this the sword is a plain +2 Longsword) :

OROS VADRIN, THE STORMSWORN
Medium humanoid, Lawful evil

Armour Class: 18 (Plate)
Hit Points: 229 (27d8 + 108)
Speed: 50 ft

STR 20 (+5)
DEX 16 (+3)
CON 18 (+4)
WIS 12 (+1)
INT 12 (+1)
CHA 19 (+4)

Saving Throws: Str +10, Con +9, Wis +6, Cha +9
Skills Athletics: +10, Intimidation +9, Perception +6, Persuasion +9
Damage Resistances: Lightning, thunder, bludgeoning/piercing/slashing damage from non-mag weapons
Languages: Common, Infernal
Senses Darkvision 60ft, passive perception 16

TRAITS
Legendary Resist (3/day)
Shocking Strikes : Oros attacks deal an extra 1d12 Lighting damage (included in attack). a creature hit by such an attack can't take reaction until it's next turn. [A shield spell or similar reaction can still be be used to prevent the attack to hit]

ACTIONS
Multiattack: Red haze, then three Lightning blade attacks
Lightning Blade: +12, 1d10+7 slashing damage +1d12 lighting damage
Red Haze: One target within 30ft, DC 17 Wisdom save, charmed/stunned on a failure until the end of Oros' next turn (immune to future attempts on a success)
Fury of the storm (recharge 5-6) : Lighting strikes Oros, blostering his Strength, Oros gain 20 Temporary Hit points and any creture within 10 feet must make a DC 19 dexterity savng throw, taking 10d10 lighting damage on a failed save, half as much on a successfull one

LEGENDARY ACTIONS (3/rounds)
Jumping Strike : Oros can move up to 15 feats without provoking oportunity attacks and then make a single Lighting blade attack.
Thnder Step (2actions): Creature within 10 feat must make a DC 19 Dec save or take 3d10 damage and be knocked prone. Oros can then teleport to a space he can see within 40 feats

This would also feel less like a Storm Themed Paladin PC

Honeyhat
2020-04-04, 11:54 PM
The Paladin smite ability can get real wonky with regards to calculating CR.

What I'd do instead is give his melee attacks a flat +3d8 radiant damage on the first hit in a turn. It makes it more consistent, and will play smoother at the table.

EDIT:
Also, it would play better with the "smite" spells.

I reckon you're right. Normal Pally smite would get a little fiddly.

I think I'll go with the 3d8 thunder though (fits his theme)

Honeyhat
2020-04-05, 12:13 AM
My Two cents :
Looking at the ability, this boss looks quite complicated to run, it should manage plenty of actions (bonus, legendaries...), minions, buffs and keep track of concentration because of the multiple spells.

The spells I do have to refine a bit (not a lot of experience with Pally spells)

Also without th smite, it's attacks are very odd : +13 to hit seems too high for its stats (should be +12 with a +2 weapon) while the dmage (1d8+7?) seems pretty weak. Giving Him a Magical sword also means the player will most likely loot it. You may or may not want that as this one seems especially Powerfull.

The Lightning Blade is magical. It's basically a Sun Blade but lightning damage instead of radiant.

And it is indeed a +12, oops

with it 30 feets walking speed and no ranged threat, a party of level 7 with 2 spellcaster would turn him to red pulp without effort. dispell magic on the Steed and plant Growth would pin him down to uselessness where the legendary resistances would be of no use.

I didn't think you could dispel a Found Steed. His steed is a Nightmare so a Bansihment could work, but that's a 4th level spell slot to 'dispel' a mount. Probably a small boost to his foot speed couldn't hurt though

And the party doesn't really have any pinning spells. They have a lot of minions, but then again so does Oros

Shocking Strikes : Oros attacks deal an extra 1d12 Lighting damage (included in attack). a creature hit by such an attack can't take reaction until it's next turn. [A shield spell or similar reaction can still be be used to prevent the attack to hit]

I like the no reactions idea, like a suped up Shocking Grasp

Fury of the storm (recharge 5-6) : Lighting strikes Oros, blostering his Strength, Oros gain 20 Temporary Hit points and any creture within 10 feet must make a DC 19 dexterity savng throw, taking 10d10 lighting damage on a failed save, half as much on a successfull one

LEGENDARY ACTIONS (3/rounds)
Jumping Strike : Oros can move up to 15 feats without provoking oportunity attacks and then make a single Lighting blade attack.
Thnder Step (2actions): Creature within 10 feat must make a DC 19 Dec save or take 3d10 damage and be knocked prone. Oros can then teleport to a space he can see within 40 feats

I really like these three. I do have a little trouble remembering to use spells tbh. THis would be much easier to remember and utilise (gives him some minor utility as well by proning)

The thing is though...that's exactly what he is :smalltongue:

iTreeby
2020-04-05, 12:48 AM
Nightmares can grant fire resistance as well.

kazaryu
2020-04-05, 03:29 AM
I didn't think you could dispel a Found Steed. His steed is a Nightmare so a Bansihment could work, but that's a 4th level spell slot to 'dispel' a mount. Probably a small boost to his foot speed couldn't hurt though

find steeds duration is instantaneous. so you are correct that they cannot dispel it.

as for the actual big bad themselves: take a look at the empyrean statblock it might give you ideas. (in particular the bolt attack).

DevilMcam
2020-04-05, 04:06 AM
A Nightmare is too powerfull to be a legal target for a find greter steed.
You can still give him one for plat reason or through fiend summoning though.

I Think However that a NIghtmare is out of place for this guy. 'Stormsworn' makes me think of Crackling thunder, Lignting fast attacks, unpredictable movement (the no raction bit on attacks is here to enforce this) and unbriddled fury. A mount (and especially a fiery nightmare)doesn't feel like any of this.

The problem with paladin spells is that, they are not threatening spell per say (aside maybe banishment and destructive wave) and are mostly self enhancing (wich feel both cheesy giving the boss bonus actions, and not necessary because this is a statblock and may as well have permanent bonus to attacks) or support oriented (This also feels out of place to me, I'd rather have him go and face the party himself than send some minions with small buffs).

The thing is though...that's exactly what he is
Although you didn't went the 'build it like a PC' route, wich is great. This guy doesn't feel like a 'Paladin' to me.
Granted neither Know They guy full story nor what makes a Paladin in your games.
when I think 'Paladin',I think of an armored knight, I think of Someone with an Ideal, I think of Smiting the wicked (or the too nice ones if you are evil), and I think of a Protector.
The last one is actually very important and applies even to the evil paladins. Most of the paladin base Features relate to that.

Aside the armored Knight part bit He doesn't sounds like one.
To me Storm is blind fury, rage, unleashed strength, chaos, destruction. You may channel the power of the storm for your agendas, but 'stormsworn' sound svery much like there should be no agenda, nothing to protect and no good reason to smite. Just Might and destruction.

But Hey, Your game your rules, feel free to disregard any of this.

Honeyhat
2020-04-05, 07:04 AM
A Nightmare is too powerfull to be a legal target for a find greter steed.
You can still give him one for plat reason or through fiend summoning though.

I Think However that a NIghtmare is out of place for this guy. 'Stormsworn' makes me think of Crackling thunder, Lignting fast attacks, unpredictable movement (the no raction bit on attacks is here to enforce this) and unbriddled fury. A mount (and especially a fiery nightmare)doesn't feel like any of this.

The problem with paladin spells is that, they are not threatening spell per say (aside maybe banishment and destructive wave) and are mostly self enhancing (wich feel both cheesy giving the boss bonus actions, and not necessary because this is a statblock and may as well have permanent bonus to attacks) or support oriented (This also feels out of place to me, I'd rather have him go and face the party himself than send some minions with small buffs).

Although you didn't went the 'build it like a PC' route, wich is great. This guy doesn't feel like a 'Paladin' to me.
Granted neither Know They guy full story nor what makes a Paladin in your games.
when I think 'Paladin',I think of an armored knight, I think of Someone with an Ideal, I think of Smiting the wicked (or the too nice ones if you are evil), and I think of a Protector.
The last one is actually very important and applies even to the evil paladins. Most of the paladin base Features relate to that.

Aside the armored Knight part bit He doesn't sounds like one.
To me Storm is blind fury, rage, unleashed strength, chaos, destruction. You may channel the power of the storm for your agendas, but 'stormsworn' sound svery much like there should be no agenda, nothing to protect and no good reason to smite. Just Might and destruction.

But Hey, Your game your rules, feel free to disregard any of this.

Character context to hopefully explain a few things:

He used to be a brilliant general and Paladin of Kord (hence Stormsworn) with a pegasus as his mount. But during the War of Tusk, Fang and Horn (first major war of my setting) his formerly knightly ideals became warped and corrupted (he had thousands of surrendering enemies executed because 'too dangerous to be left alive' kind of deal, and he thoroughly enjoyed it). His newfound blood-lust forced his former comrades to chase him out/banish him. He still uses minions because of the tactical advantages they can give (his rage would cause him to make some pretty rookie mistakes though. Fun roleplay stuff for combat)
So, fallen paladin would be a better description I suppose

He has been kept alive and forced to do the bidding of a new master. The new master re-gifting him his lightning abilities as a form of mockery to his previous ideals. And his mask was created in the 9 hells, that's why the Nightmare. The mask sort of bled its plane of origin into his chosen mount

The creator of his Mask of Fury is a creature of the Negative Plane that has created 4 masks (Fury, Dread, Revulsion, Sorrow) using the essence of several planes (9 hells, Shadowfell, Abyss, negative plane) and forced on/given them to people, that said creature feels, embody each mask. Oros is fueled by rage because he feels utterly betrayed by people he once called friends that 'just didn't get it'.

Hope that clears it up some of my choices, at least little bit :)