PDA

View Full Version : House optimization

almondbutter
2020-04-04, 06:53 PM
My party and I recently came to own a large manor in a small town. We set up a church to my god for word of recall. Have set up hallow in our house and used glyphs and wards on a ton of surfaces. Wondering what further optimizations could be made to make our house as impenetrable as possible?

stoutstien
2020-04-04, 07:02 PM
My party and I recently came to own a large manor in a small town. We set up a church to my god for word of recall. Have set up hallow in our house and used glyphs and wards on a ton of surfaces. Wondering what further optimizations could be made to make our house as impenetrable as possible?

Never over look simple non magical security measures. Bribe tho locals to keep an eye out for any suspicious activity, put mutiple locks on the doors and keep them lock/unlock them in different patterns, buy some guard dogs and treat them well, leave some decoy treasure in a semi easy place to find, and remember to hiring some rogues to try to break in to find flaws.

almondbutter
2020-04-04, 07:22 PM
Never over look simple non magical security measures. Bribe tho locals to keep an eye out for any suspicious activity, put mutiple locks on the doors and keep them lock/unlock them in different patterns, buy some guard dogs and treat them well, leave some decoy treasure in a semi easy place to find, and remember to hiring some rogues to try to break in to find flaws.
That actually makes a lot of sense. Do you know if there is a book with prices of those things?

Ortho
2020-04-04, 08:11 PM
That actually makes a lot of sense. Do you know if there is a book with prices of those things?

Sounds like most of that stuff can be bought in the PHB, actually.

Addaran
2020-04-04, 08:22 PM
Major Image as a lvl 6th slot is permanent, could be useful.

Having some friends actually live there/maintain the house would be great. Since it's a church too, maybe an acolyte or priest. Though, if there's church services there, that leave it open to infiltration....

Scroll of Find Familiar for everyone in the party who can't normally cast it and leave them at the house? Would need a way to feed them though...

almondbutter
2020-04-04, 08:24 PM
Major Image as a lvl 6th slot is permanent, could be useful.

Having some friends actually live there/maintain the house would be great. Since it's a church too, maybe an acolyte or priest. Though, if there's church services there, that leave it open to infiltration....

Scroll of Find Familiar for everyone in the party who can't normally cast it and leave them at the house? Would need a way to feed them though...
We actually have a small village of peasants and qre using an stone golem for upkeep. Also both areas are very difficult to penetrate due to hallows bizzare ability to target people baring ill intent towards the caster or establishment.

Griswold
2020-04-04, 08:34 PM

If it's not on your spell list, then you can't cast a spell from a scroll. You'd need a Ring of Spell Storing for that, which is a great item for giving everyone in the party familiars and magical steeds.

Addaran
2020-04-04, 08:38 PM
If it's not on your spell list, then you can't cast a spell from a scroll. You'd need a Ring of Spell Storing for that, which is a great item for giving everyone in the party familiars and magical steeds.

D: Oups, i though there was some kind of check. Only thiefs can with UMD then i guess.

HappyDaze
2020-04-04, 08:52 PM

For best security, you'll want a cleared perimeter so you can see and cover all of the approaches. I suggest complete demolition of all other structures to at least 300 feet out in all directions. Neighbors that do not have guaranteed loyalty (i.e., that are not bound elementals/fiends/celestials or constructs/undead under your command) should be charmed, dominated, or killed.

iTreeby
2020-04-05, 12:38 AM
Saw you put up lots of Glyphs and wards but do you have permanent Guards and Wards set up? Depending on the layout of the Floorplan the Corridors effect can make it statistically unlikely that anyone not allowed by the spell will reach a certain room. Consider what would happen if a ranged character were attacked by an intruder in a Corridor with a three way split at the end of the hallway.
1) the character is heavily obscured by fog
2) the enemy is not obscured because the character is immune to the guards and wards spell
3) the character attacks with advantage and then walks down a different hallway
4) the enemy has to guess which hallway they went down while being affected by a stinking cloud.(which the character is also immune to)
5) if they choose correctly or not, they have a 50 percent chance to believe that they are going the wrong way.
6) the character can retreat up a stairwell to force the enemy to walk through difficult terrain that can also restrain the enemy (character is also immune to this).
7)stairwells can be set on fire to deal automatic 2d4 damage, no save, just in case you can't hit the enemy for some reason.

almondbutter
2020-04-05, 12:47 AM
Saw you put up lots of Glyphs and wards but do you have permanent Guards and Wards set up? Depending on the layout of the Floorplan the Corridors effect can mske it statistically unlikely that anyone not allowed by the spell will reach a certain room. Consider what would happen if a ranged character were attacked by an intruder in a Corridor with a three way split at the end of the hallway.
1) the character is heavily obscured by fog
2) the enemy is not obscured because the character is immune to the guards and wards spell
3) the character attacks with advantage and then walks down a different hallway
4) the enemy has to guess which hallway they went down while being affected by a stinking cloud.(which the character is also immune to)
5) if they choose correctly or not, they have a 50 percent chance to believe that they are going the wrong way.
6) the character can retreat up a stairwell to force the enemy to walk through difficult terrain that can also restrain the enemy (character is also immune to this).
7)stairwells can be set on fire to deal automatic 2d4 damage, no save, just in case you can't hit the enemy for some reason.

That sounds lovely as another layer of defense for the house. Does this spell destroy things or would we have to find a way to magic proof the area it would effect?

iTreeby
2020-04-05, 12:50 AM
That sounds lovely as another layer of defense for the house. Does this spell destroy things or would we have to find a way to magic proof the area it would effect?

It doesn't destroy things, I'd just make sure your stairwells are fireproof (probably as much as possible should be fireproof just as a general practice but the webs are explicitly flammable).

Do you have a Floorplan of the house?

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-04-05, 01:28 AM
Hire guards.
The spell forbiddens.
A long maze full with monsters.

Build this place like a dungeon that is way too high for your level.

kazaryu
2020-04-05, 02:37 AM

honestly, beyond setting up some mundane defenses (as has been suggested) I'd actually suggest focusing more on accepting that if the DM wants to, your house is gonna get raided. i mean the etherealness spell bypasses basically any kind of non-homebrew defense you could possibly set up against mortal intrusion. meanwhile spells like 'hallow' are in and of themselves (theoretically) impenetrable by outsiders, so mortals are really the only people you need to worry about. TL:DR if the DM wants in, teh DM will get in.

of course that all changes if you already all realize this and are more just trying to stack defenses for the fun of designing a defensive network. in which case...well i can definitely come up with ideas for that.

iTreeby
2020-04-05, 10:47 AM
TL:DR if the DM wants in, teh DM will get in.

of course that all changes if you already all realize this and are more just trying to stack defenses for the fun of designing a defensive network. in which case...well i can definitely come up with ideas for that.

The op is to optimize for being impenetrable. The best thing you can do is never play another session, the house can't be raided then.

Addaran
2020-04-05, 10:59 AM
Hire guards.
The spell forbiddens.
A long maze full with monsters.

Build this place like a dungeon that is way too high for your level.

At that point, adventurers will start exploring your house for loot and exp. If they die, they just roll new characters and start again. Adventurers always win in the end...