PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dice rolls in my favor have unbalanced the game, wat do?

mehs
2020-04-05, 11:26 AM
So, the basics of the campaign I'm in is: nat 20 succeeds on anything reasonable, loot is random and rolled by players though only the DM sees the chart. The campaign is also supposed to be somewhat treasure heavy, with no enforced wbl and possibility of finding a lot of magic items. We are in a dungeon for the most part, and there are occasional treasure chests. Additionally, undead are icky but not evil outright.

So, first treasure chest. It is on the top floor of dungeon, so its loot is supposed to be pretty standard. There is a chance of accessing higher chart, but very low. And then I roll 100 on the chest. Roll again on higher chart (dungeon items drop table). I roll an 85. Roll 1d12. I get a 4. I got a hat that gives me druid gestalt levels equal to 1/4 my level, minimum 1. So, not even in the dungeon for more than an hour or so real life time, and i've found an item that gave me a free level. Note: we are level 1.

Later on, we find an uber-trap. It is very apparent that it is an uber trap, and is intended to be idiot bait. Gem and gold covered door with a giant message in blood stating it is a trap and to use the tunnel to go around. Will confess that I thought trap was activated by prying off the gems and gold, and that just opening door wouldn't do anything. Did listen to the GM's "are you sure" (and laughter) though, so did go around. SO, UBER trap, on the back side we find the actual mechanism of the door. Part of it is apparently an auto reset that creates a ghoul (not summon, create) once per day, with ability to store a ghoul (so initial 2 ghouls, then only 1 a day if it continues to be used). I roll disable device to specifically disassemble it to harvest it for the ghoul creation part. It is an uber trap, so high DC, probably wont succeed. And then I roll
Nat 20.

So Now we have a metal coffin that can create ghouls. In the same room we find and open the actual treasure chest, we get a minor item that is essentially a crystal you attach to an item, and it moves towards you 5ft a round when activated. Crystal is removable, and it is essentially to reclaim an item if lost, as it can be activated even if miles away as long as it is attuned. Immediately stick it on the coffin so we don't have to carry it. Problem of carrying a giant metal coffin solved before the problem even came up.

5th or 6th actual treasure chest we come across, necromancer opens chest. Rolls a 91, which is pretty much just high enough to access one of the magic item charts (not as good of chart as the gestalt hat, but still). Then they roll 100. Access an even higher tier chart. They finish it up by rolling 51. They got a wand that, you cast a 1st level wizard spell into it, and then it can cast the spell at will with same statistics (Caster level, DC, Feats, 0th level metamagic). It can be overwritten by casting a different spell into it, so pretty versatile even if limited to 1st level wizard spells.
I traded the coffin for the wand, and then got a scroll of 9th level magic missile and cast that into the wand.

So current status, I am essentially a level ahead of the rest of the party and can one or two shot entire encounters. We are level 2. What should I do?

Biggus
2020-04-05, 12:22 PM
I'd say enjoy it while it lasts. In a few levels the things you got won't be such a massive advantage any more so it'll start to even out. Oh, and use your Druid spells to buff and heal your teammates, if you spread your good luck around so it helps the whole party they won't begrudge you it.

mehs
2020-04-05, 12:26 PM
I'd say enjoy it while it lasts. In a few levels the things you got won't be such a massive advantage any more so it'll start to even out. Oh, and use your Druid spells to buff and heal your teammates, if you spread your good luck around so it helps the whole party they won't begrudge you it.

Odd thing is that I have 10 wisdom. I have been spam casting cure minor wounds (unlimited 0th level spells like in pathfinder) and guidance, but need to lend the hat out to cast eyes of the avoral.

Jay R
2020-04-05, 09:14 PM
First, give the hat to the party member with the highest wisdom. Somebody with WIS 12+ gets an additional spell per day.

Second, somebody else has the coffin. This PC gets to run a ghoul.

Third, wait. Fixing this is the DM's job, and if she's any good, she already has a plan.

Fourth, even if the DM does nothing, don't worry. These items will be swamped by higher level items and the PCs' increased abilities soon enough.

mehs
2020-04-06, 04:18 PM
First, give the hat to the party member with the highest wisdom. Somebody with WIS 12+ gets an additional spell per day.

Second, somebody else has the coffin. This PC gets to run a ghoul.

Third, wait. Fixing this is the DM's job, and if she's any good, she already has a plan.

Fourth, even if the DM does nothing, don't worry. These items will be swamped by higher level items and the PCs' increased abilities soon enough.

Currently the adventuring party dynamic is more or less "people who decided it would be fun/good idea to join up for a job dungeon crawling". Not really life long companions yet or anything. The hat also thoroughly belongs to my character both because he was the one who found it as well as I took the nymph's kiss feat before this began. So married to a nymph, nymph with the hat goes from casting 4th level to 5th level druid spells. The highest wisdom in the party is 12 currently, so they have the hat just to cast eyes of the avoral then give it back. Everyone else has metal armor, so they would have to strip each time they want to cast a spell.

The coffin was given to the necromancer, so the current item's I have is the wand and the hat. I actually have ranks in UMD and don't wear metal medium/heavy metal armor, so currently only one that can actually really use them. The DM's plan so far is to wait until probability that everyone ends up with equivelent spread of magic items.

ExLibrisMortis
2020-04-06, 04:41 PM
At least the druid hat is only 1/4 levels, else you'd be exploring your Wild Shape options about now :smalltongue:.

I personally wouldn't enjoy a campaign like this--a bit too lolrandom--but I think the unbalance you're seeing is exactly the point, so... enjoy it, I guess?

mehs
2020-04-06, 04:48 PM
It is supposed to be treasure heavy, but we rolled 100/100 on treasure roll twice within 6 treasure chests and managed to nat 20 an uber trap. The absurd luck im/we are having, at least at the start, means that instead of finding unusual but neat items appropriate to out level, we have items more of meant for 5th+ level characters.

ExLibrisMortis
2020-04-06, 05:07 PM
It is supposed to be treasure heavy, but we rolled 100/100 on treasure roll twice within 6 treasure chests and managed to nat 20 an uber trap. The absurd luck im/we are having, at least at the start, means that instead of finding unusual but neat items appropriate to out level, we have items more of meant for 5th+ level characters.
You'll beat harder encounters, get more XP, level up faster, and generally outlevel the treasure.

Maybe you can more explicitly challenge tougher monsters? I mean, if it's a dungeon, you can take the more dangerous fork in the road, so to speak?

denthor
2020-04-06, 06:27 PM
Party of:

Druid
Wizard....

And

Kish
2020-04-06, 08:07 PM
loot is random and rolled by players though only the DM sees the chart. The campaign is also supposed to be somewhat treasure heavy, with no enforced wbl
You didn't break the game; the GM's stupid house rules did.

Hopefully, they'll realize that magic items are not some kind of optional extra that doesn't affect balance after this. Either way, you didn't cause it and you have neither the responsibility nor the ability to fix it.

mehs
2020-04-13, 08:29 PM
Party of:

Druid
Wizard....

And

Im an artificer, the hat gives me the class benefits of being a 1st level druid. Other players are: wizard, fixed truenamer, and the fourth slot has varied a lot between barbarian, paladin, and inquisitor.

We are level 2.