Hit Dice: 1d8
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8+Con Mod
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (5)+Con Mod

PROFICIENCIES
Armor: Light, Medium, Heavy, and Shields
Weapons: All Simple and Martial Weapons
Tools: Thieves' Tools and any one Artisan Tool

Saving Throws: Intelligence and Constitution
Skills: Choose three from Athletics, Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Arcana, History, Investigation, Religion, Insight, Perception, Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion

EQUIPMENT
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
-Any three weapons you are proficient in. If thrown, include two extra copies of the weapon. If it uses ammo, it comes with twenty pieces of ammo.
-(a) Leather Armor, (b) Scale Mail, or (c) Chain Mail
-(a) Any one simple weapon, or (b) a shield
-Any one pack

Inquisitor

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features
Cantrips Known
Spells Known
Spell Slots
Slot Level

1st
+2
Expertise, Bane
-
-
-
-

2nd
+2
Archetype
-
-
-
-

3rd
+2
Spellcasting
1st

4th
+2
Ability Score Improvement
1st

5th
+3
Extra Attack, Improved Bane
1st

6th
+3
Archetype Feature, Expertise
1st

7th
+3
Exorcism
2nd

8th
+3
2nd

9th
+4
Everlasting Vigil
2nd

10th
+4
Archetype Feature
2nd

11th
+4
Greater Bane, Zone Of Truth
2nd

12th
+4
2nd

13th
+5
Imperious Command
3rd

14th
+5
Archetype Feature
3rd

15th
+5
Greater Exorcism
3rd

16th
+5
3rd

17th
+6
Master Bane
3rd

18th
+6
Archetype Feature
3rd

19th
+6
4th

20th
+6
Lord Inquisitor
4th

Expertise
At level one, pick any two skill or tool proficiencies you have. Your proficiency bonus is doubled when making checks with this skill or tool.

You select two more at level six.

Bane
At level one, you gain the ability to lay a Bane upon a classification of foes. As an action, you may target a creature within 120' and visible to you. You deal an additional 1d6 points of damage of the same type on all attacks against foes of that type (as-in, humanoid, aberration, elemental, etc.) for the next minute. You may have one Bane active at any moment per point of proficiency bonus.

Activating a Bane is subtle, requiring a Perception check against a DC of 8+your Intelligence modifier+twice your proficiency modifier to notice.

Archetype
At level two, choose whether you wish to be a Crusader or a Cleanser. This grants you features at levels two, six, ten, fourteen, and eighteen.

Spellcasting
At level three, you gain the ability to cast spells from the Inquisitor spell list. Intelligence is your casting stat for your spells, and you regain all expended slots after a short rest. Beginning at level three, you know three cantrips (learning more as indicated on the table) and two first level spells. You learn a new spell (but not cantrip) every odd level. Your spells are always cast at their maximum level, as indicated on the table.

You may cast ritual spells known to you as rituals.

At any level up, you may trade an already known spell for another spell of the same level. You may do this as many times as you like while leveling up.

Finally, you may trade a single spell known for another spell of the same level by spending a number of days in intense focus and practice equal to seven minus your Intelligence modifier, minimum of one day.

At levels four, eight, twelve, sixteen, and nineteen, you may increase any one stat by two or any two stats by one.

Extra Attack
At level five, you may attack twice when you take the attack action.

Improved Bane
At level five, whenever you use your action to lay a Bane on a creature, you may make a single attack as a bonus action.

Exorcism
At level seven, you learn the arts of Exorcism. You may cast Protection From Evil And Good as a ritual, extending the duration to one hour (Concentration) when you do. If the subject is already possessed, charmed, or otherwise under the thrall of a creature the spell affects, they are immediately allowed a new save against the effect. You may, additionally, add expensive reagents and artifacts to increase its potency. For every 50 GP consumed or 500 GP not consumed of material components, the subject receives a +1 bonus to their saves against effects covered by the spell.

Everlasting Vigil
At level nine, you no longer require rest in the same fashion as other creatures. While you must still perform no more than light activity to benefit from a short or long rest, you no longer sleep, and can instead research, stay at watch, or other similarly non-taxing activities.

Greater Bane
At level eleven, your Bane damage increases to 2d6. You may also active a Bane as a bonus action or action, at your discretion.

Zone Of Truth
At level eleven, you are surrounded by a constant Zone Of Truth effect. A creature that makes its save against the effect is immune to it until they rest, after which they must make the save again should they re-enter the area. You are never affected by your own zone, and you may at the end of any rest choose creatures who rested with you to be immune as well. Finally, as an action, you may force a creature within your zone to retake the save, even if they were successful initially. Should they succeed on this save, they are immune to it fully until they finish a rest.

Imperious Command
At level thirteen, you may cast Command at-will at its lowest level.

Greater Exorcism
At level fifteen, your Exorcism may now affect a number of creatures equal to your Intelligence modifier, minimum of one.

Master Bane
At level seventeen, your Bane damage increases to 3d6. Additionally, as an action, you may lay a special Bane upon all creatures you can see within 120'. This Bane is not subtle, and is immediately apparent to all who can see and hear you. This Bane also does not affect classifications of creatures-it only affects those you see and who are in range at the time. As usual, you may make a single attack as a bonus action after using this Bane, as per Improved Bane.

Lord Inquisitor
WIP-Suggestions wanted

Crusader

Vigilance
At level two, you may cast Detect Evil And Good at-will.

Smite
At level six, your Bane dice increase from d6s to d8s. This affects all Bane dice you have, including the enhancements from Greater and Master Bane.

Wrathful Judgement
At level ten, as an action, you may make a single attack against a creature within 30' of you. If you hit, roll your weapon damage, Smite damage, and Bane damage (if applicable) twice and take the higher total. Additionally, the target must make a Wisdom save against your spell DC or become frightened of you until the end of your next turn.

Divine Favor
At level fourteen, you are under a constant Divine Favor effect. This does not require concentration.

God's Blade
At level eighteen, you may cast Holy Weapon once per long rest.

Cleanser

Lay On Hands
At level two, you gain the ability to cleanse a body of injuries. You have a pool of Lay On Hands equal to five times half your Inquisitor level (rounding down). As an action, you can Lay On Hands yourself or an adjacent target, healing them for any amount up to what is currently in your pool. Your pool refreshes on a long rest.

Quick Heal
At level six, you learn the Healing Word spell. You may cast it normally, or by expending 10 points from your Lay On Hands pool.

Restoration
At level ten, you learn the Lesser Restoration spell. You may cast it normally, or by expending 15 points from your Lay On Hands pool.

Revivification
At level fourteen, you learn the Revivify spell, You may cast it normally, or by expending 30 points from your Lay On Hands pool.

Healer
At level eighteen, you may cast Greater Restoration once per long rest, without expending any material components or using a spell slot.

Spell List
The following are the spells available to an Inquisitor.

Blade Ward
Chill Touch
Control Flames
Dancing Lights
Fire Bolt
Friends
Guidance
Light
Resistance
Sacred Flame
Shocking Grasp
Thaumturgy
Thunderclap
Toll The Dead
True Strike
Word Of Radiance

Alarm
Armor Of Agathys
Bane
Bless
Cause Fear
Charm Person
Command
Compelled Duel
Comprehend Languages
Cure Wounds
Detect Evil And Good
Detect Magic
Detect Poison And Disease
Disguise Self
Dissonant Whispers
Divine Favor
Ensnaring Strike
Entangle
Expeditious Retreat
False Life
Fog Cloud
Guiding Bolt
Hellish Rebuke
Heroism
Hunter's Mark
Illusory Script
Inflict Wounds
Longstrider
Protection From Evil And Good
Sanctuary
Shield Of Faith
Silent Image
Sleep

Aid
Alter Self
Arcane Lock
Augury
Blindness/Deafness
Blur
Calm Emotions
Crown Of Madness
Darkvision
Detect Thoughts
Earthbind
Enhance Ability
Enthrall
Find Traps
Gentle Repose
Hold Person
Invisibility
Knock
Locate Object
Magic Mouth
Magic Weapon
Mind Spike
Mirror Image
Misty Step
Moonbeam
Nystul's Magic Aura
Pass Without Trace
Phantasmal Force
Protection From Poison
Ray Of Enfeeblement
See Invisiblity
Shadow Blade
Silence
Spider Climb
Suggestion
Warding Bond
Zone Of Truth

Bestow Curse
Clairvoyance
Counterspell
Crusader's Mantle
Daylight
Dispel Magic
Elemental Weapon
Enemies Abound
Fear
Feign Death
Fly
Glyph Of Warding
Haste
Hypnotic Pattern
Magic Circle
Major Image
Nondetection
Phantom Steed
Protection From Energy
Remove Curse
Sending
Slow
Speak With Dead
Summon Lesser Demons
Tongues
Vampiric Touch
Water Breathing

Arcane Eye
Banishment
Charm Monster
Compulsion
Confusion
Death Ward
Dimension Door
Divination
Dominate Beast
Greater Invisibility
Locate Creature
Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum
Phantasmal Killer
Shadow Of Moil
Sickening Radiance
Stoneskin
Summon Greater Demon

Spell lists are never something I'm sure on-if you know any spells that should be on this list, or feel a choice should be removed, please let me know.

PartyOfRogues
2020-05-30, 08:26 AM
Since you asked me in the other thread, I’ve put a more detailed opinion on the class as well as some suggestions here. I’d do it like the artificer, where the base class gets light armor, medium armor, shield, and simple weapons, and the combat subclass (crusader) gets martial weapons and heavy armor. Also, why thieves tools? It doesn’t seem to fit the flavor of the characterWhy does this class get so many weapons? Most people will only need 2 weapons, 1 melee and 1 ranged, and a fighter who chooses a shield and chain mail only starts with two weapons. I’d also narrow down the pack choice to priests pack, explorers pack, or dungeoneers pack, since it wouldn’t make much sense to have an entertainer’s or burglar’s pack.Improved Bane is good at level 5, however it becomes completely obsolete when you get greater bane, I’d change it to “Whenever you lay a Bane on a creature, you may make a free attack against a creature of the chosen type, you may only use this ability once per encounter.” That makes it so you still get a free attack when you use it as a bonus action, but can’t do it repeatedly to get an extra attack each turnAlthough exorcism has good flavor, it prevents you from casting other concentration spells, and it’s added feature has very little use in-game, for a replacement, I’d do something similar, still focused on protecting your teammates. Holy Shout: As an action you can speak holy words, giving all creatures affected by your bane disadvantage on attacks until the begining of your next turn, you may use this ability a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier per long rest. It provides the most useful benefit of protection from evil and good while affecting your entire team for a shorter duration, for Greater Exorcism, it can recharge on a short rest, and it affects all creatures with Master Bane activeHaving spells at will is a powerful ability, Zone of Truth’s power can differ wildly depending on what style of campaign you’re playing, being incredibly powerful in intrigue campaigns like the one I’m running, and being completely useless in a generic dungeon crawl, the same is mostly true for command, although it has some use in combat, however at level 13, most stuff you fight will be able to make a save against it.I’d replace the level 2 ability with Burning Bane: your bane damage becomes radiant damage, your bane also becomes 1d8, increasing to 2d8, and 3d8 with greater and master bane. Smite doesn’t seem like a good option for this class, it only has 3 spell slots maximum, so you wouldn’t get to use it that much. The level 14 ability also seems quite weak, getting an extra d4 damage isn’t that much The subclass seems fine to me, not to powerful, but also not too weak, just one thing I’d add, Recovering Bane: Whenever you deal damage with your bane, you recover half as many points to your lay on hands pool.

JNAProductions
2020-05-30, 09:48 AM
I don't think martial weapons should be gated behind a subclass, but heavy armor I could be persuaded to gate.

Equipment, I like to be very liberal with. In most games, mundane gear (outside expensive armor) isn't an issue past level 2, so I don't think it's a huge deal.

Your Improved Bane change would stack with Greater Bane to grant three attacks the first round of combat at level 11, with 2d6 extra damage on each strike. That's like a Fighter... But a lot better. So no.

I do like your proposed Exorcism change!

Zone Of Truth is definitely not a combat ability. It's a potent ribbon, but still a ribbon. Do you feel Imperious Command is too powerful?

Good idea on Crusader.

And your proposed change to Cleanser fails the bag of rats test. That'd allow for far too much healing and easy recharging.

JNAProductions
2021-10-26, 05:55 AM
Re-opening for critique, since it's being used.

Catullus64
2021-10-26, 08:08 AM
Intelligence caster, not Wisdom? Why not.

I think a Fighting Style would be appropriate addition at Level 1 or 2, given that Ranger-Paladin style half-casters seem to have provided something of the overall class structure.

Some things that I think aren't really necessary for balance reasons, but would be nice for flavor: some feature that can make you more resistant to hostile magic, some feature that improves your investigative abilities, tool proficiencies, the ability to substitute a cantrip for an Extra Attack Bladesinger-style, and Paladin-style tenets or strictures associated with the subclasses.

And since you asked for suggestions on this one:

Lord Inquisitor

At level twenty, you can use an action to speak words of damnation, searing the very souls of the unrighteous. All hostile creatures who can hear you must make a Charisma saving throw against your spell save DC. Creatures affected by your Bane make this save with disadvantage. On a failure, a creature takes psychic damage equal to your Bane damage, and is stunned for 1 minute. If it is not native to the plane you are currently on, it is banished back to its home plane. On a success, a creature takes half as much psychic damage, and is not stunned or banished.

Once you have used this feature, you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest.

Amechra
2021-10-26, 08:55 AM
Clearly, the 20th level feature should be

Call Exterminatus
Destroy the world you're on as an Action. Go you.

I feel like the Inquisitor doesn't get enough spell slots. Having to wait until T3 to get your second spell slot feels a bit limiting.

JNAProductions
2021-10-26, 09:02 AM
Clearly, the 20th level feature should be

Call Exterminatus
Destroy the world you're on as an Action. Go you.

I feel like the Inquisitor doesn't get enough spell slots. Having to wait until T3 to get your second spell slot feels a bit limiting.

It does recover on a short rest, and has good damage without spells. I didn’t want to go overboard with Warlock third casting.

And I do like your suggestion for the Capstone, Catullus. Though I would add a new save every turn to shake the stun.

Won’t edit it now-on the phone at work-but when I get home.

Catullus64
2021-10-26, 09:15 AM
May I ask, is this intended for some kind of publication or simply for personal use?

If the former, there are some things I would change in the formatting, in order to keep it consistent with the way similar official features tend to be worded. If it's only for personal use, that's just pedantry best kept to myself.

JNAProductions
2021-10-26, 06:50 PM
May I ask, is this intended for some kind of publication or simply for personal use?

If the former, there are some things I would change in the formatting, in order to keep it consistent with the way similar official features tend to be worded. If it's only for personal use, that's just pedantry best kept to myself.

Not purely personal use, but not for publication. It's for anyone who likes homebrew to use.

I am more concerned with balance or gameplay issues, not so much minor wording nitpicks. But it wouldn't hurt to know a better way to word them!

Catullus64
2021-10-28, 01:39 PM
Not purely personal use, but not for publication. It's for anyone who likes homebrew to use.

I am more concerned with balance or gameplay issues, not so much minor wording nitpicks. But it wouldn't hurt to know a better way to word them!

The only thing I can think of that could cause real confusion is the fact that the class's key combat feature, Bane, shares a name with a spell (a spell on the class's spell list, no less.)

The perception thing for noticing when you use a Bane is strange to me, and I'm not sure I'm really envisioning how you intend for it to work in gameplay. Is the idea that enemies will automatically make checks when you use it, or that the Bane has some ongoing noticeable effects that a creature might pick up on? I would just have it be unnoticeable, like an Inquisitive Rogue's Insightful Fighting. I also don't think that "expertise DCs" like the one you have here are really a thing in any other context, so it bugs me for reasons of general consistency.

You should probably also specify a range for Greater Exorcism. Protection from E&G is touch by default, and I find the idea of trying to have a whole bunch of creatures touching you while you cast the ritual somewhat unwieldy.

The rest really are just nitpicks, like the fact that an official publication would never use the term "stat" to refer to an ability score. (I only mention that one to give example of how minor most of my corrections would be.)