PDA

View Full Version : Wildemount Heroic Chronicle: Have you used it or something similar?

ProsecutorGodot
2020-04-05, 06:48 PM
For those unaware, Explorer's Guide to Wildemount has a section in the book dedicated to a special character creation process called the Heroic Chronicle. At your DM's option you roll on a handful of tables deciding things that include, but are not limited to, the starting town of your character, their race from the percentage population of the starting town you rolled and then a little extra boost in the form of a Fated Encounter which gives you additional skills, equipment or even feats to start with.

My question is whether or not anyone has used the option as it is in the book, or ever made something similar. The goal of the system is to create a character that is thoroughly immersed in the world and gives tools to the player and the DM to reach that.

One of the other players in our long running campaign decided to take a shot at running one of the low level adventures found in the book, and we though it would be fun to all create our characters using this process, and it was. The character that came from the tables was Oloric the Clanless, a Dwarf Hexblade.

Having been an orphan and never knowing of his clan name, he grew up impoverished in Grimgolir but a famed Warrior saw potential in him, Oloric was tenacious and unwavering when he set his mind to a goal, his master tutored him in the ways of combat and gifted him a bewitching and mysterious Lance of fey origin, the Moonlit Needle. Eventually he saw fit to leave Grimgolir and travel the Marrow Valley as an Outlander, finding it easier to forage and live in the wilderness than struggle by in military service. His physical prowess was not up to par with many Dwarves because of his poor upbringing but the lightweight Lance seemed to carry his strikes, what should have been an incredibly unwieldy weapon moved with a fluid grace in his hands.

But now he's caught word of people freezing solid in the frigid north, and even a lowly Dwarf like himself still feels the need to prove himself as warrior of Grimgolir. He'll come back with a story worthy of the finest ale houses and enough coin to visit them as he pleases.

firelistener
2020-04-06, 11:20 AM
Sounds similar to the "This is your life" tables from Xanathar's Guide to Everything. I can't say I like it much because I prefer creating characters myself, but they do the randomization thing well. One specific to a setting like Wildemount sounds like it would be great for meshing characters into the world without DM legwork.