PDA

View Full Version : Most Interesting/Unique PF Class?

TotallyNotEvil
2020-04-05, 10:10 PM
The title says it all. I'm a fairly long time 3.5 player, but I've recently been trying out PF and I have to say, it's nearly a straight upgrade.

I've tried an Alchemist and a Sorcerer, both to great joy. Stink Bombs were the MVP, and actually knowing a decent number of spells and having neat class features made the Sorc play like it always promised, but so rarely delivered.

So, especially from the perspective of a 3.5 player, what delighted you the most to play in PF?

I've heard good things about Akashic Monk.

Kurald Galain
2020-04-05, 10:44 PM
So, especially from the perspective of a 3.5 player, what delighted you the most to play in PF?

Magus, and to a lesser extent Warpriest and Bloodrager.

If you want to play a gish character in 3.5 you really have to jump through hoops and take two or three prestige classes in a row in order to be functional around level 13, and that's only mildly exaggerated. In PF, these classes just give you a fully functional gish, right out of the box, at level one. If you've ever wanted a sword-and-spell combo, this is amazing.

Psyren
2020-04-05, 11:51 PM
I don't have a single "favorite" so I'll list a few and what I like about them.

Alchemist: You already said you enjoyed this one so I won't spend a lot of time here, but it's really got it all. Ranged, melee, blasting, control, support, low-magic campaigns, high-magic campaigns, combat, intrigue, an Alchemist can fit in anywhere and do any role you can imagine, especially with archetypes letting them tailor their approach.

Witch: T1 casting is good enough, but the at-will powers let you get the most out of your spells and help you avoid the "too awesome to use" problem other casters sometimes end up faced with.

Medium: Another "do anything" class. This one is also equally fun for the GM, so bonus points.

Pactmaker: Third-party but the best update to the Binder (itself one of my favorite 3.5 classes) I've seen in PF. And of course, like the Binder, "do anything the party needs" and "fun for the GM" is written on its stationery.

Inquisitor/Warpriest/Hunter: 6th-level casters that all have their own unique spin.

Unchained Monk: Finally, the monk done correctly. My only annoyance with the class is the weak will save.

Investigator: All the goodness of Alchemist with a slight shift from combat towards intrigue.

FaerieGodfather
2020-04-06, 02:14 AM
So, in 3.5 I was known for the Soulknife 2/Soulbow 1 dip. Every character.

The Dreamscarred Press Soulknife doesn't qualify for the Soul Archer Prestige Class without at least 3 class levels, but the DSP Soulknife is actually worth taking four levels in, or even taking as your primary class. It's just amazingly[/i versatile in melee or ranged combat, with debuffs and crowd control and tons of noncombat utility powers.

I am less impressed with how its counterpart, the Aegis, works... it's too complicated, it's too slow to adapt, and it just generally feels weird and awkward to me. But the "self-mutation" archetype, the Aberrant, is just [i]gorgeous. Even though it gives up the Aegis' impressive ranged attack options...

It kinda bothers me that the Soulknife seems better at making armor, and the default Aegis is better at ranged attacks.

Purple Duck has a whole lot of really great hybrid classes for their Porphyra setting. My favorite is the Abomination, a Barbarian|Summoner created when conceiving a planetouched goes really really wrong. It's got a rage-like ability, a ton of special defenses, and gains spell-like abilities from the UC Summoner spell list and self-applied Evolution points. It's got a Swamp Thing archetype that replaces just about all of that with 6 levels of Druid casting.

Purple Duck also has a line where they combine a Prestige Class with its easiest entry to make a 20 level alternate class. I think the multiges are too good, but classes like the Arcane Archer and the Dragon Disciple are just beautiful.

A couple of different classes have offered their own take on the Shifter class. I favor Legendary Games' version, aptly called the Legendary Shifter. It has an Evolution-based archetype that grants permanent and temporary evolutions, and a version of the Oozemorph that actually works.

Asmotherion
2020-04-06, 06:24 AM
I like the Arcanist a lot.

Heavenblade
2020-04-06, 06:34 AM
I think that the most interesting class is the vigilante, due to the simple fact its not one class but a dozen od them, which you mix and match your way through the levels in order to create pretty much every character build you could think of (except for caster heavy builds that rely on full casting)

Psyren
2020-04-06, 08:33 AM
Personally I think the Vigilante would have worked better as a kind of "Secret Identity" subsystem that could be bolted onto any character with sufficient skills and/or wealth. I understand why some folks like it though, and I can't deny the appeal in some of the archetypes like Warlock or Magical Child.

TotallyNotEvil
2020-04-06, 09:22 AM
What about the PF Initiators? Anyone who recommends them?

They seem quite a bit stronger than the already hard-hitting melee in PF.

StSword
2020-04-06, 03:36 PM

A lot of people, from what I gather, it's a popular subsystem.

And yes, it's ramps up the power level of martials. The people who like Initiators see that as a good thing.

However, if you're more on the fence about that, maybe check out Lost Spheres Lost Paths: Voltaic, it's a lower powered initiator class.

It's an initiator who gains maneuvers via a "eureka moments" that are powered via the Combat Stamina subsystem.

It also has options so everyone (barring full casters) can also get in on the action, so if you want a Wuxia PF game.

legomaster00156
2020-04-06, 06:54 PM
Personally I think the Vigilante would have worked better as a kind of "Secret Identity" subsystem that could be bolted onto any character with sufficient skills and/or wealth. I understand why some folks like it though, and I can't deny the appeal in some of the archetypes like Warlock or Magical Child.
Interestingly, they did also release such a subsystem (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/masked-personas/) that can be bolted onto any character, albeit with not quite as many benefits as the true Dual Identity class feature.

Psyren
2020-04-06, 08:59 PM
Interestingly, they did also release such a subsystem (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/masked-personas/) that can be bolted onto any character, albeit with not quite as many benefits as the true Dual Identity class feature.

Ah nice - I hadn't read Inner Sea Intrigue yet so I missed that (only Ultimate Intrigue.)

Ason
2020-04-08, 10:49 AM
Paladins and Bards in PF are direct upgrades to their 3.5 versions (barring certain prestige class or feat shenanigans), and they're some of my favorite classes in PF.

Bards in particular have a class feature that lets them use their total bonus from certain Perform skills to replace other Skills (e.g. Acting can replace Bluff & Disguise). With 6 + Int mod skills per level, this basically frees up 2 skill points per level if you're willing to handicap yourself for a level or two until the class feature kicks in. Bardic performances also got buffed, and their other class features really support them becoming a skill monkey. Paladins likewise gets major boosts to core features like smite evil, lay on hands and their divine bond (formerly paladin mount), and certain feats like Cornugon Smash (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/cornugon-smash-combat) make charisma a less painful requirement for paladins.

Of the new classes, Summoner is a little wonky but is a really fun pet class for those who've always wanted to play one in 3.5.

Aotrs Commander
2020-04-08, 11:38 AM
I think that the most interesting class is the vigilante, due to the simple fact its not one class but a dozen od them, which you mix and match your way through the levels in order to create pretty much every character build you could think of (except for caster heavy builds that rely on full casting)

I think the problem with the viglante is that is only works in some campaign environments (i.e. urban) - more so than any other class. Otherwise, like, half your class features are useless most of the time. For example, you might get some nilage out of it in something like the Shackled City adventure path (where you are MOSTLY in and around the city) - or, like, a superhero campaing or something - but for something like Rise of the Runelords, it's going to be not helpful. It's kind of a novel idea, certainly, but a bit niche for general use, I think.

Kurald Galain
2020-04-08, 11:46 AM
I think the problem with the viglante is that is only works in some campaign environments (i.e. urban)

That's what one would expect based on the class description...

...but based on the actual rules for vigilantes, even when ignoring all of its social aspects, they are capable combatants with a wide array of unique tricks (that aren't just wizard spells with the serial numbers filed off, like certain other classes I could mention). The social talents are fun and fluffy, but they contribute surprisingly little to the class's overall effficacy.

GrayDeath
2020-04-10, 02:31 PM
Hmmmm, lets see....

Aegis: Always wanted psionic Power Armor guys? here you go. Found it both extremely easy to please "Punch Guy players" with, and fun to play around with myself.

Witch: Cool fluff, good casting, usable just about everywhere, but not more powerful than the other 9th Level casters. They did everything right with that one and with

Oracle: My first and so far overall most liked PF CLass. Love the Fluff, the Curses, ike the Power and mixability.

Oh, and for a total mixup kind of interesting: try the Veil weaving, Initiating SPellcasting Archetype whose name I just forgot. 3 Subsystems in one. ^^

Addendum: I think the most important was the Magus however, as others have said, this is what a "Gish in a Can" SHOULD look like.

Firebug
2020-04-10, 03:11 PM
The playtest version of Medium was really interesting. Unfortunately, they decided on a simpler version for release. I think you might still find some information on it if you search for Harrow(ed) Medium, but its kind of sparse.

Basically, instead of 6 spirits for Medium (on for each ability score), there were alignment aspects of each of the ability scores (so like Good Strength, Neutral Strength, etc) and you had to pick from Cha +1/2 level spirits each day instead of all of them.

Wildstag
2020-04-10, 03:41 PM
I think, from a mechanical perspective, Brawler is the most interesting PF class. It's not terribly unique, but Martial Flexibility is like the Warblade's "adjust weapon specific feats each morning" turned up to 11.

It's the kind of class any player could enjoy. It works well with a low skill floor, but it also has a potential for a high skill ceiling. You could use it as a "babby's first martial", or you can use it as a "I will literally be a different role each fight". It can help you specialize your main build while still allowing you to branch out if you need to. The way that Martial Flexibility gets changed with archetypes is interesting too. The shifter archetype for Brawler allows you to access the aspects in exchange for getting feats, which basically reduces tier, but it also shines in ways Shifter doesn't.

It'd almost be like if a Sorcerer could just choose to have access to additional spells for a short duration. It increases versatility while allowing specialization.

So yeah, that's why I'd say Brawler is the most interesting to me.

ThatMoonGuy
2020-04-10, 05:23 PM
Magus and Mystic are two of my favourite classes mostly because I've always liked playing fighters but never quite enjoyed the lack of tools they had. On the same note, I have a bit of a soft spot for the Harbinger, specially the Edgelord for being such a supremely silly concept. It's a joke but it's actually a good joke.

Another class that I like, despite it being a bit wonky, is the Legendary Samurai. It has a lot of clutter and way too many class features but the Iaijutsu Techniques are very fun and it has some excellent ACFs.

Rajah is a class I very much appreciate for giving a lot of interesting and useful support options to the party while also being able to contribute quite well.

Peat
2020-04-12, 06:42 AM
I always feel like Alchemist is 'the' Pathfinder class - their most obviously innovative and big niche filling class - but the one I love most is Inquisitor. Never got to play one but it just feels filled with flavour and useful tricks, and the flavour available is great - anything from divine James Bond to scenery chewing villain.

Efrate
2020-04-12, 07:36 AM
I live all the DSP classes, but Harbinger and Vizier (especially if using city of 7 seraphs). Harbringer is an Int SAD martial with a ton of skills and mobility, refresh mechanic akin to warblade but can be used while still using maneuvers, and has everything it needs right out the box. In class flight and teleportation as normal modes of movement, no restrictions. It's a potentially great Avenue to roleplaying about how your powers awakened, and at high levels the ability to ignore all resistances and immunities so whatever you want to do just works. No exceptions. You can scare cthulhu and make him crap his pants.

Vizier is what the incarnate could have been. If you use everything on the spheres of power (specifically the co7s and other veils, not even needing to use spheres) wiki it literally is the so everything almost a full caster class. You also can do the cardinal sin (according to wotc) of good damage and decent healing at the same time without sacrificing pretty much anything. It can blast like a warlock on steroids at will or bring a bunch of other stuff as needed.

Ramza00
2020-04-12, 12:08 PM
(Yes this is Psionics and thus technically Pathfinder 3rd Party, for is done by Dreamscarred Press and not Paizo. Likewise the same for Tome of Battle via Path of War, Magic of Incarnum equivalent so on and so on by Dreamscarred Press)

Aegis is an interesting class if you do some multiclassing (Student of the Astral Suit) or borrow most of its class features with the 3rd level psionic power Form Astral Armor.

Effectively you get to be Iron Man, or a Symbiote like Venom and you get customization points you can change each day. Each single customization point is worth a weak feat to a medium feat and you are playing a Full BAB martial. Furthermore there are some customization points which allow you to be a Path of War Maneuver class. It is the ultimate swiss army knife which is not powerful but versatile this class, yet each versatility is set at the start of the day and not during the day.

Calthropstu
2020-04-12, 11:27 PM
There's a very intrigueing subsystem (in theory) called word magic. They borked it with so many restrictions and it is fundamentally weaker than the standard casting, but if you can get some of those restrictions... altered, reduced or removed by a willing gm, it has some serious potential. Being able to target any save with just about any effect would be immensely useful.

RAW, it is terrible, but the concept is definitely intrigueing and I would love to build upon it.

Ignimortis
2020-04-12, 11:42 PM
The title says it all. I'm a fairly long time 3.5 player, but I've recently been trying out PF and I have to say, it's nearly a straight upgrade.

I've tried an Alchemist and a Sorcerer, both to great joy. Stink Bombs were the MVP, and actually knowing a decent number of spells and having neat class features made the Sorc play like it always promised, but so rarely delivered.

I've heard good things about Akashic Monk.

Magus, full stop. It's how gishes should be done in a class-based system. Accept no substitutes.

PoW initiators are the best. The only thing I miss is a straightforward offensive initiator akin to ToB Warblade - Warlord is more about "leader of men" and Warder is defense-focused. Harbinger was insanely fun to play, too.

And yes, they are very strong. I have almost single-handedly ended an even-CR combat in two rounds with a Harbinger 9. So it's best for GMs to plan ahead and up the CR somewhat if they want combat to last longer and pose a challenge.

Psyren
2020-04-13, 02:01 AM
I always feel like Alchemist is 'the' Pathfinder class - their most obviously innovative and big niche filling class - but the one I love most is Inquisitor. Never got to play one but it just feels filled with flavour and useful tricks, and the flavour available is great - anything from divine James Bond to scenery chewing villain.

Not to mention Judge Dredd, Van Helsing, Geralt... :smallsmile:

Efrate
2020-04-13, 10:34 AM
My 9th level harbinger took down black magia from RotRL who is like cr 15 I think in 3 or 4 rounds solo. Becoming a chestburster that busts through from the ethereal plane turns out to be pretty damn effective when you are just targeting touch AC of big things.

For first party magus is great. A very good gish in a can that functions great out of the box no weird archetype or prc shenanigans needed.

Witch also is a great class with a lot of customization. With patrons and hexes it's a pretty good catch all for whatever caster concept you want if you just check your options.

Pex
2020-04-13, 11:08 AM
My favorite classes are Arcanist, Oracle, and Paladin. Honorable mention for Witch, War Priest, and Alchemist.

Arcanist is my favorite way of playing a wizard. It has the spontaneous casting of the Sorcerer with the ability to switch spells as the Wizard. You also get class features that let you do interesting things and conserve your spell slots. It’s how I’ve always wanted to play a wizard.

Oracle is always how I wanted to play a cleric. Just have the spells I want and cast them spontaneously. Get interesting class features so I can do other things besides cast spells.

Paladin is the warrior I want to be. It allows a touch of magic, defense, buff allies, and give whoop donkey against the BBEG.

Witch I like because the hexes are good enough to use to conserve spell slots. It’s not as flashy as arcanist, but fun to play.

War priest is for when I want a bit more magic than paladin. You get good action economy.

I haven’t played alchemist yet, but I like the idea of playing a (mad) scientist. It’s a gish with fun mechanics.

T.G. Oskar
2020-04-13, 03:37 PM

Seconding this. Most people might know I'm not a fan of PF, though I'll admit they did some things right.

I'm ambivalent towards their take on Paladin, because I recognize they did some things right: expanded their class features (new auras, an AoE attack buff tied to their main class feature, Mercies, Divine Bond), made their signature moves more powerful (though I terminantly refuse to call their main offensive feature "Smite", because it just doesn't fit my vision of what a Smite is - 5e's Divine Smite and Smite spells are, just in case) and tied their spellcasting to Charisma, but the way they reworked some of the feats and the way they Channel Positive Energy means you essentially have to relearn how to play it, and some of the fun stuff you could do in 3.5 (Divine feats that actually were worthwhile, Sword & Board without spending feats on TWF, Harmonious Knight ACF) is no longer available. I know most people here say "just do 3.PF" (which would unlock Agile Shield Fighter and some of the spells), but PF already got rid of 3.5's baggage, and it plays like a very different monster. And some of the Archetypes replace things that shouldn't just to "balance" it. (I'm still sore about Empyreal Knight replacing Divine Grace for the ability to speak Celestial, and nothing else, three levels after. It's a dead class feature if you play as an Aasimar, or...heck, spend 1 point in Linguistics and learn Celestial in the first place.)

However, I don't want to deal with classes that were in 3.5 (including DSP's take on psionics, martial adepts and Incarnum), so I'll go for what is unique to them, and that's definitely the Inquisitor. At a glance, it could be mistaken for a "divine Bard", what with medium BAB, 6th-level partial casting and a class feature focused on buffing, as well as 6 skill points per level and a plethora of features, but it's when you analyze what it can do that you see it's a very different monster. I've always felt D&D hasn't done well with the "divine roguish type", and I'll admit the Inquisitor does it far, far better than 3.5's or 4e's Avenger. Surprisingly, it makes for a good warrior despite its BAB and choice of armor, either melee or ranged, even though it lacks a damage booster like Sneak Attack (not saying that Judgment + Bane isn't good, but it's not the same punch). They've got a very interesting skill selection, focused mostly on buffing, and gives an interesting spin to Teamwork feats, enabling their use even if others can't spend them.

The most important part, though, is that I feel they can't be replicated as easily in either 3.5 (or 5e). The Alchemist and the Artificer are rather close; even if you intend to port their bombs and mutagens, you could refluff the latter as infusions and make an effective Alchemist ACF from the Artificer. The Cavalier's traits can be replicated, oddly enough, with a Marshal going into the Cavalier PrC in some point, and with minor refluffing you can do the same for Samurai. The Magus is interesting and solid, but 3.5 has the Duskblade in exchange. Some creativity and effort can be done to replicate most of the classes of PF, hybrid or non-hybrid...except (again, IMO) the Inquisitor. The way it plays is rather unique, from its spellcasting, its main class feature, its secondary class features, etc. I mean - sure, you could do the Inquisitor if you think long and hard about it, but it's easier just to port the Inquisitor than creating a build that can replicate it, unlike the others. And that is why I consider it the most interesting and unique - it's so hard to replicate it, that it feels like a real class of its own, and not a way to just blend existing classes and give them a spin. I'd consider the Vigilante a second - it gives a run to the Factotum, though I'd shudder to think what a Vigilante||Factotum gestalt would look like.