PDA

View Full Version : Divine Soul MM & Spell help

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-06, 09:38 AM
So I am playing in another 1 shot in two weeks. I rolled stats and got 14, 13, 13, 13, 12, 12. Other party members include a Str Rogue, A Paladin, and an alchemist artificer.

Rogue plans on grappling and locking down 1 target.

I decided to play a half-elf Divine Soul sorcerer. For MM, I was thinking twin and either subtle (suggestion) or distant (cure wounds).

It will be the DMs first time so I am not trying to min/max anything, just trying to have a fun character with useful Metamagic.

I plan on twinning enlarge on the rogue and paladin in combat.

Spells:
C: Toll the dead, fire bolt, Thaumaturgy, Guidance, Message/Mage Hand (?)
L1: Mage armor, Guiding Bolt, and Cure wounds/healing word
L2: Enlarge/reduce, Spiritual Weapon, Suggestion
L3: Mass Healing Word (?)

DM is not going to try and keep us safe which will either mean extremely easy fights or we TPK the first fight since it is his first time. Any thoughts useful fun spells would be greatly appreciated.

firelistener
2020-04-06, 10:51 AM
Sounds good to me. I'd go over Subtle Suggestion with the DM ahead of time so you both agree how it plays out. Most people agree that you still need to speak the suggestion aloud by the rules, but some people like to do it where you can say nothing at all and have it work. I prefer the former, since Subtle still makes it so people won't realize you're using magic by waving your hands and lacing the words with magical intonation. Effectively a Jedi mind trick.

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-06, 12:12 PM
I guess the level 3 slot I am wondering if I am better off with just taking Fireball for AoE damage.

I taking inspiring leader for my L4 feat to go with the character idea. Having 8 THP to start, I am wondering if I would ever need a drastic group heal and maybe I could get by with a Twin Healing Word. Then Fireball may be more useful if there are lots of baddies.

I am thinking of avoiding many concentration based spells so that resource is available for enlarging the rogue and possible Paladin.

I get an uncommon magic item and I am planning on taking a Pearl of Power for an extra spell slot.

firelistener
2020-04-06, 12:42 PM
Fireball is tricky. Since it sounds like both your party members are going to have lower Dex, they wouldn't do well tanking the save if you include them in the blast radius. Still a great spell, but you might want to swap something for Careful if you want AOE spells more. Otherwise, you could opt for Maximilian's Earthen Grasp from XGE or something else upcasted.

Also, I'm not sure mass healing word is a good choice. It only heals 1d4+mod, so it's meant for larger groups where you can actually hit that six target limit. AOE damage or a twinned healing spell sounds like a better fit if there's only three in your party.

Master O'Laughs
2020-04-06, 12:51 PM
Fireball is tricky. Since it sounds like both your party members are going to have lower Dex, they wouldn't do well tanking the save if you include them in the blast radius. Still a great spell, but you might want to swap something for Careful if you want AOE spells more. Otherwise, you could opt for Maximilian's Earthen Grasp from XGE or something else upcasted.

Also, I'm not sure mass healing word is a good choice. It only heals 1d4+mod, so it's meant for larger groups where you can actually hit that six target limit. AOE damage or a twinned healing spell sounds like a better fit if there's only three in your party.

Okay good, so it is not just me who thinks mass healing word is a little underwhelming. As a life cleric I would say it is a different story but as a Divine Soul Sorc I think I will pass then.

Max's EG does seem good but that would be competing for concentration with Enlarge person.

I guess worst case, I open with Fireball and then Spiritual weapon the following round.

8wGremlin
2020-04-06, 01:32 PM
Spirit Guardians.

If your rogue has them in your aura you’ll constantly do damage to them every round.