PDA

View Full Version : [Need Help] Class Conversion or hybrid class creation -Death Master - From 3.5 to 5.0

Incarnate
2020-04-06, 09:44 AM
Hello everyone.

I want to convert the 3.5 Death Master class to a 5.0 version, and I'm sure it can be done, I'm just not sure about the details, in terms class features, abilities, it's undead companion since companion rules works differently in 5.0, and so on. I've heard some say it might be better to attempt to recreate classes using the 5.0 ruleset rather than convert them directly. It would probably be fitting to make it a hybrid class between cleric and the death master.

This is the specific class in question: The Death Master (https://dndtools.net/classes/death-master/).

What say you?

clash
2020-04-06, 10:01 AM
It has few enough abilities out could probably be made as a decent cleric subclass. We're already have an official death domain but it isn't really a necromancer so maybe an undeath domain?

Alternatively if you feel it needs its own class I threw this together around the time I was first introduced to 5e so it probably isn't great quality but maybe there are some ideas you can use.

1 - Spellcasting, Undead affinity: When you would take necrotic damage from an effect other than a cantrip, you instead regain hit points equal to the amount of necrotic damage.
2 - Undead minion: Skeleton
3 - Necromancy focus
4 - Ability score improvment
5 -
6 - Fear aura 10 ft
7 - Necromancy focus
8 - Ability score improvment
9 -
10 - Death master - Undead must suceed on wisdom save to attack the necromancer
11 -
12 - Ability score improvment
13 -
14 - Necromancy focus
15 - Improved Fear aura 30ft
16 - Ability score improvment
17 -
18 - Necromancy focus
19 - Ability score improvment
20 - Lich Phylactery - You can craft a phylactery for 25,000 gold. When you die your body turns to dust and is reconstructed by the phylactery. 24 hours after death if your phylactery is not destroyed you return to life at the location of your phylactery cured of all poison, diseases, and curses affecting you at the time of death.

Command focus:
3: Student of Enchantment: Add the following spells to your spell list (Charm person, Suggestion, Tongues, Compulsion, Dominate person). Treat humanoid undead as humanoid.
7: Spell-stiched minion: Your minion learns one necromancy cantrip that it can cast on its turn using your spellcasting modifier.
14: Command Undead: As necromancy wizard
18: Undead cohort: You may enlist the service of an Undead you have created and it serves you loyally obeying any command. The effect last until you enlist a new cohort.

Corspcrafting focus:
3: Necrotic power: When you deal necrotic damage to an undead creature you may instead choose to heal them for the amount of dmg dealt
7: Corpscrafter: When casting animate dead, all created undead add your proficiency bonus to their attack rolls
14: Nimble bones: When casting animate dead add your proficiency bonus to their ac.
18: Destruction Retribution: All undead you animate with the spell animate dead explode when killed doing 2d6 necrotic dmg in a 5 foot radius around them.

Transformation focus:
3: Bone armor: ac = 13 + dex
7: Undead graft: 1/long rest cast vampiric touch for free. Gain access to other spells as you level up: Level 9: Contaigion, Level 13 finger of death
14: Undead resislience: You no longer need to eat or sleep but must still rest. In addition you gain immunity to poison and disease.
18: Graft Master: You can now use your graft ability 1/long rest for each spell

Garfunion
2020-04-06, 11:17 AM
To me these is a Wizard necromancy, minus the rebuke and undead minion at level one. It would be easier to make a 1st or 2nd level spell that lets you create/control an undead zombie/skeleton.

You also have the Oathbreaker Paladin that can control undead and empower them.

Sigreid
2020-04-07, 09:51 AM
I think the Masters of Death product on D&D beyond did a pretty decent job, if you're interrested.

Incarnate
2020-04-08, 09:31 PM
A cleric subclass makes sense, but using the intellince attribute as the casting attribute, and likewise trying to maintain as much from the original as possible with a few modifications here and there to make it fit 5e balance and class design.

I will update this as I go, but feel free to make suggestions - expect revisions.

1 - (Spellcasting (Int-based) - Spells (DM Spells list)), Domain(Granted Power)
2 - Channel Divinity (Turn or Create undead - Choose one),
3 - Undead Minion
4 -
5 - Master of the Dead,
6 - Channel Divinity (Control or Destroy undead- Choose one)
7 -
8 - Channel Divinity (IF Control chosen: Undead Officer)
9 -
10 - Sustenance of the Dead
11 - Improve Undead
12 -
13 -
14 - Improve Undead
15 - Aspect of the Dead
16 -
17 - Improve Undead
18 -
19 -
20 - Lichdom:

Channel Divinity:
Create Undead - For every Death Master level, one HD worth of undead is created, the HD distribution can be chosen at the discretion of the the Death Master.
Control Undead - ....

Undead Minion:
Upgrade an existing undead under the Death Masters control to have the Death Masters Proficiency bonus added to
attack and damage rolls, including saves. Furthermore, duration for the undead is set to indefinite.
The undead minion gains benefits from the undead minion table.
This uses a channel divinity use.

Master of Dead:
As original entry but will be revised.

Sustenance of the Dead (Su):

Aspect of the Dead (Su):

Lichdom:

Undead Minion Table: - Will be revised, probably down the line of corpsecrafter feat benefits.
Death Master Level | Undead Benefit
1-4 : Turn Resistance +4
5-8 : Unholy Might
9-12 : Persistant Corruption
13-16: Link of the Grave
17-20: Relentless Undead

Undead Officer:
The undead in question is "upgraded", it receives +3 to intelligence, and is now able to control other undead it has been issued control over by the Death Master.
The benefit can also be used on an undead created by the Death Master by expending a channel divinity use.
An undead can only be subject to this benefit ONCE and is permanent.

Improve Undead:
Improves an aspect of an undead - as with corpsecrafter feats.

What do you guys think so far? :)

//Inc.

Incarnate
2020-04-09, 05:07 AM
It has few enough abilities out could probably be made as a decent cleric subclass. We're already have an official death domain but it isn't really a necromancer so maybe an undeath domain?

Alternatively if you feel it needs its own class I threw this together around the time I was first introduced to 5e so it probably isn't great quality but maybe there are some ideas you can use.

1 - Spellcasting, Undead affinity: When you would take necrotic damage from an effect other than a cantrip, you instead regain hit points equal to the amount of necrotic damage.
2 - Undead minion: Skeleton
3 - Necromancy focus
4 - Ability score improvment
5 -
6 - Fear aura 10 ft
7 - Necromancy focus
8 - Ability score improvment
9 -
10 - Death master - Undead must suceed on wisdom save to attack the necromancer
11 -
12 - Ability score improvment
13 -
14 - Necromancy focus
15 - Improved Fear aura 30ft
16 - Ability score improvment
17 -
18 - Necromancy focus
19 - Ability score improvment
20 - Lich Phylactery - You can craft a phylactery for 25,000 gold. When you die your body turns to dust and is reconstructed by the phylactery. 24 hours after death if your phylactery is not destroyed you return to life at the location of your phylactery cured of all poison, diseases, and curses affecting you at the time of death.

Command focus:
3: Student of Enchantment: Add the following spells to your spell list (Charm person, Suggestion, Tongues, Compulsion, Dominate person). Treat humanoid undead as humanoid.
7: Spell-stiched minion: Your minion learns one necromancy cantrip that it can cast on its turn using your spellcasting modifier.
14: Command Undead: As necromancy wizard
18: Undead cohort: You may enlist the service of an Undead you have created and it serves you loyally obeying any command. The effect last until you enlist a new cohort.

Corspcrafting focus:
3: Necrotic power: When you deal necrotic damage to an undead creature you may instead choose to heal them for the amount of dmg dealt
7: Corpscrafter: When casting animate dead, all created undead add your proficiency bonus to their attack rolls
14: Nimble bones: When casting animate dead add your proficiency bonus to their ac.
18: Destruction Retribution: All undead you animate with the spell animate dead explode when killed doing 2d6 necrotic dmg in a 5 foot radius around them.

Transformation focus:
3: Bone armor: ac = 13 + dex
7: Undead graft: 1/long rest cast vampiric touch for free. Gain access to other spells as you level up: Level 9: Contaigion, Level 13 finger of death
14: Undead resislience: You no longer need to eat or sleep but must still rest. In addition you gain immunity to poison and disease.
18: Graft Master: You can now use your graft ability 1/long rest for each spell

Yes, I agree, it seems fitting as a cleric sub-class, a very interesting necromancer class, perhaps as you say not the best qualities, but it has some nice ideas.
As you can see from my post, I do believe it should have it's own class, more as a hybrid between a cleric and death master, while also retaining most of it's core but with a few modifications to it.

To me these is a Wizard necromancy, minus the rebuke and undead minion at level one. It would be easier to make a 1st or 2nd level spell that lets you create/control an undead zombie/skeleton.

You also have the Oathbreaker Paladin that can control undead and empower them.

I'm trying to give the class the very ability to do just that, but also giving it the ability to empower and control other undead - but it's a choice, which shapes the direction and over flavour of the character.

I think the Masters of Death product on D&D beyond did a pretty decent job, if you're interrested.

I'm not familiar with that product, some details on it would be nice :)

Sigreid
2020-04-09, 06:40 AM
I'm not familiar with that product, some details on it would be nice :)

It basically has 3 death focused classes. It's a pay what you want, so I'd suggest downloading it and if you like what you see, go back and pay.

Ekzanimus
2020-04-09, 07:52 AM
I think I am blind because I can't find it there. Can you give a link to the page please?

Sigreid
2020-04-09, 09:14 AM
I think I am blind because I can't find it there. Can you give a link to the page please?

You can't find it because I'm an idiot. I typed D&D Beyond when I meant DM's Guild, the title is Harbingers of Death, and I can't find it there anymore either. Sorry.

It was basically a wizard with access to all necromancy spells across all classes and an undead minion pet similar to a beast conclave pet that levels up with you.

Ekzanimus
2020-04-09, 11:52 AM
You can't find it because I'm an idiot. I typed D&D Beyond when I meant DM's Guild, the title is Harbingers of Death, and I can't find it there anymore either. Sorry.

It was basically a wizard with access to all necromancy spells across all classes and an undead minion pet similar to a beast conclave pet that levels up with you.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/244991/Harbingers-of-Life--Death-Deathseer-Pale-Master-and-Vicar-Fantasy-Grounds-5e-Class-Pack
Is that it?

Sigreid
2020-04-09, 12:25 PM
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/244991/Harbingers-of-Life--Death-Deathseer-Pale-Master-and-Vicar-Fantasy-Grounds-5e-Class-Pack
Is that it?

Yes, my search-fu earlier was weak.