PDA

View Full Version : Monk Subclass

elyktsorb
2020-04-06, 12:33 PM
I'm currently playing a lvl 4 Tortle Monk1/Barbarian3 (Bear Totem). And I'm on the fence about what Monk subclass I'm going to pick (my plan is to stick with the 3 barb and go monk the rest of the way. I mean, except for the subclasses I obviously shouldn't be (like Sun Soul, or 4 Elements) My initial thought was to go with Long Death, since I figured I could get a lot out of the, health on kill, ability, though Kensei could help with my 17 AC since I'll almost always be making unarmed attacks while wielding my monk weapon. (My main weapon of choice is a Yklwa btw)

My stat spread is (Yes I rolled them)

Str: 18

Dex: 15

Con: 14

Int: 10

Wis: 17

Cha: 9

CTurbo
2020-04-06, 12:55 PM
Yeah I would go Long Death for sure. The temp hp would make you even harder to kill.

Open Hand could work too, but I'd go Long Death.

nickl_2000
2020-04-06, 01:01 PM
Yeah I would go Long Death for sure. The temp hp would make you even harder to kill.

Open Hand could work too, but I'd go Long Death.

I agree with this entirely. Considering you are raging and you get resistance that doubles your Temp HP gained really easily.

stoutstien
2020-04-06, 02:28 PM
I agree with this entirely. Considering you are raging and you get resistance that doubles your Temp HP gained really easily.

At the same time +2 AC while raging is worth -20% incoming damage and -10% when not.

Would come down to if table uses low CRs the whole game for easy recharging of THP.

elyktsorb
2020-04-06, 02:33 PM
At the same time +2 AC while raging is worth -20% incoming damage and -10% when not.

Would come down to if table uses low CRs the whole game for easy recharging of THP.

I'm playing Avernus at the moment so based on that.

nickl_2000
2020-04-06, 02:38 PM

Ohh Avernus? Have you considered Sun Soul? The radiant damage from them could be golden for Avernus

elyktsorb
2020-04-06, 02:42 PM
Ohh Avernus? Have you considered Sun Soul? The radiant damage from them could be golden for Avernus

My dex is 15 and those bolts don't benefit from rage.

nickl_2000
2020-04-06, 02:44 PM
My dex is 15 and those bolts don't benefit from rage.

Yup, realized that after I posted it... I tried to delete my post but you had already responded.

stoutstien
2020-04-06, 02:50 PM

One of my favorite publish campaigns actually. No spoilers from me.
What's your party look like?

elyktsorb
2020-04-06, 03:07 PM
What's your party look like?

There is a Lore Bard, a Wizard, whose school I don't actually know, and a Devotion Paladin

Segev
2020-04-06, 03:11 PM
There is a Lore Bard, a Wizard, whose school I don't actually know, and a Devotion Paladin

Sorry, now I'm curious: what does the wizard tend to do - his play style, his actions/spells of choice - if he's not done anything that tips you off as to his school?

And yeah, if you're enjoying being hard to kill, monk abilities that focus on being harder to kill will enhance your fun further, I think.

elyktsorb
2020-04-06, 03:22 PM
Sorry, now I'm curious: what does the wizard tend to do - his play style, his actions/spells of choice - if he's not done anything that tips you off as to his school?

Mostly cast cantrips? I won't lie, we all went into this with rolled stats, as like a group pact, the paladin rolled average, the bard and the wizard both rolled low, I know they both have negative constitution modifiers, and I rolled really good stats.

Well I can tell you the wizard isn't Necromancy, Bladesinging, Divination, Chronurgy, Graviturgy, or Illusion. Because I would have noticed most of their abilities by now.

stoutstien
2020-04-06, 03:44 PM
Mostly cast cantrips? I won't lie, we all went into this with rolled stats, as like a group pact, the paladin rolled average, the bard and the wizard both rolled low, I know they both have negative constitution modifiers, and I rolled really good stats.

Well I can tell you the wizard isn't Necromancy, Bladesinging, Divination, Chronurgy, Graviturgy, or Illusion. Because I would have noticed most of their abilities by now.

O this is going to be fun for you either way. With this party is take the AC and save ki for dodge.

Segev
2020-04-06, 03:56 PM

Probably not Conjuration or Evocation, either; both would've had reason to use their 2nd level powers by now. Abjuration might be subtle enough if he doesn't have to say out loud that he's upping his ward's hp again. Enchantment...you'd probably notice him hypnotizing enemies into inaction. Transmutation can be pretty subtle with its stone that gives random bonuses based on what he picks at the time. War Mage can be very subtle as it's all mostly passive stuff like initiative bonuses.

elyktsorb
2020-04-06, 04:06 PM
Probably not Conjuration or Evocation, either; both would've had reason to use their 2nd level powers by now. Abjuration might be subtle enough if he doesn't have to say out loud that he's upping his ward's hp again. Enchantment...you'd probably notice him hypnotizing enemies into inaction. Transmutation can be pretty subtle with its stone that gives random bonuses based on what he picks at the time. War Mage can be very subtle as it's all mostly passive stuff like initiative bonuses.

He spends most fights trying not to die so it's kind of hard to tell honestly. I should know, I downed him last session when a demon charmed me and I threw my lighting stick at him.

CTurbo
2020-04-06, 04:53 PM
A wizard with negative Con modifier??? Sounds like he needs to get his next character ready haha

Segev
2020-04-06, 04:57 PM
He spends most fights trying not to die so it's kind of hard to tell honestly. I should know, I downed him last session when a demon charmed me and I threw my lighting stick at him.

Does he have and use mirror image? That should help a lot with any targeted attacks, at least. Won't help with AoEs, and depending on how your DM runs things it might not help with single-target save-inducing effects, but it at the least should help with anything that rolls an attack roll.

elyktsorb
2020-04-06, 05:01 PM
Does he have and use mirror image? That should help a lot with any targeted attacks, at least. Won't help with AoEs, and depending on how your DM runs things it might not help with single-target save-inducing effects, but it at the least should help with anything that rolls an attack roll.

Not sure, he is in the process of copying spells as we're traveling so I imagine he will soon.

HPisBS
2020-04-07, 07:59 PM
Str monk/barb...

I'd either go with Long Death for the thp, or Open Hand so you can push/prone enemies away from the squishies. (Plus if they're prone, then that gives advantage w/out having to rage.)

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-04-07, 08:41 PM
Shadow!

The teleportation works during rage, the spells you gain can be fun and don't require a high ability score or very much suplements a low one (pass without trace).

The concentration spells gives you something to do while not raging. You won't ever have a lot of rages so having other tricks, especially non-combat ones like pass without trace, will be helpful.

Misterwhisper
2020-04-07, 08:50 PM
With those stats and you already having 3 barbarian and 1 monk, I would take more barbarian to at least 5, you are already 1 level from a feat and 2 from a second attack.

Better than waiting 3 and 4 more.

Kensei is a trap option, it actually sucks.

Drunken master is very nice and often overlooked, free disengage when you flurry is nice.

stoutstien
2020-04-07, 09:14 PM
With those stats and you already having 3 barbarian and 1 monk, I would take more barbarian to at least 5, you are already 1 level from a feat and 2 from a second attack.

Drunken master is very nice and often overlooked, free disengage when you flurry is nice.

What do you have against Kensei? Is arguably the toughest Monk and having key features that don't rely on ki is very attractive for multi-classing.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-04-07, 10:49 PM

Barbarian 3/Monk 2 through 5 is a better deal. You get so much more out of it that going Barbarian 5, especially since extra attack don't stack.

Barbarian 4 would be ok... But I would stick with Barb 3

Misterwhisper
2020-04-08, 10:38 AM
What do you have against Kensei? Is arguably the toughest Monk and having key features that don't rely on ki is very attractive for multi-classing.

My Kensei Breakdown:

A. Weapon Choice:

A monk can already use dexterity with their monk weapons, and they can use dexterity with any weapon that they choose for their Kensei weapon.
A monk also has no reason to not be using a weapon two handed if it is versatile because they can't use a shield and they can bonus action attack anyway so no reason to ever two weapon fight.
You start with 2 choices, one melee and one ranged, but they can't be heavy and can't have special properties, so that leaves:

Battleaxe/Longsword/Warhammer: Same weapon essentially, it is a 1d8 weapon with versatile 1d10. So one die size bigger damage if used two handed than a spear that you can already use but it is not a throwing weapon. 1 damage higher but not throwable, kind of breaks even.

Flail/Morningstar/Pick: Same weapons again, but this time just non-versatile versions of the better ones. No reason to ever pick these.

Rapier/Scimitar/Shortsword: The finesse property is redundant because you already can use dex, and light doesn't matter because you don't dual wield. So all these are replaceable with a spear or great club if you really wanted. Only reason to pick these is you pick the parry feat or you are multiclassing into rogue. But then again, you could just use a dagger or short sword, but you can't sneak attack with an unarmed strike, so just kind of ok, not great even then.

Trident: It is just a worse spear... so no reason to pick it, ever.

Whip: Gives reach, which can be nice, but it will always scale with your unarmed damage so you are not gaining any damage. A subclass pick to get a ranged option, maybe.

Ranged Weapons: They might as well have just said, "Pick a melee weapon and a longbow"

You get 5 choices over the subclass but you never have a reason to use more than 2, one ranged and one melee.
Your melee choices are: 7 weapons that are the same as something you already use, or just plain worse, 3 weapons that are all the same but net you one point of damage for losing the thrown trait, and 1 weapon that is the a damage loss for a good while and then does no more than unarmed but gives you reach.

B. 3rd level Kensei ability:

Melee: You now know how to use your new weapon in melee, so at most you gained 1 point of damage in by giving up the versatility of using a spear as well as not using PAM if you chose to take it.
However, for level 3 and 4 you only get one weapon attack and a bonus unarmed attack maybe 2 if you flurry. You can attack with your new weapon, or you can just stand there and hold it and use an unarmed strike like every other monk can do to gain +2 ac but now you have dropped from a 1d8 or maybe 1d10 damage to a 1d4 for that 2AC.
At level 5+ you can make 2 weapon attacks and 1 or 2 unarmed, or you can make 1 weapon attack and 2 maybe 3 unarmed strikes to gain 2 AC. You are essentially giving up the whole point of the subclass to use a different part of the same subclass.
Also, any monk could just spend a Ki to dodge if they really want to be defensive, and keep their kensei weapon damage.

Ranged: Bonus action to add 1d4 to each ranged attack. Nothing wrong with that. You can always make unarmed attacks while holding the Longbow so you can still make OA. The issue is that many monks are elves who can already use a longbow, and all monks can use a short bow so it is just a 2-3 damage boost at the cost of your bonus action.
EX. Wood Elf is a VERY common race for monks, and they can all use a longbow. So any woodelf can attack at range if needed for 1d8 + Dex and use their bonus action for something like Step of the Wind/Patient Defense or and this is key Read the specific wording of Flurry of Blows compared to Martial Arts. Martial arts says: "When you use the Attack action with an unarmed
strike or a monk weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action." but Flurry of Blows says:"Immediately after you take the Attack action on your
turn, you can spend 1 ki point to make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action." It does not say it has to be a monk weapon. So you could shoot once, or twice if level 5+ then just spend a ki, walk over and unarmed attack twice with FoB.

With monk's massive levels of mobility as is, it is already a great chance you can reach someone to unarmed attack, and would be almost impossible for you to not be in range for a bow attack.
Is it worth it to give up 1 or maybe even 2 unarmed attack to do 1d4 extra damage with a bow shot? Maybe, but not very often.

Another issue with archery based monks is ASI, Monks need a great Dex, a pretty good if not great Wis, and a good Con, but unlike classes like Fighter or Rogue, Monks don't get any bonus ASI, so you could easily get to level 16 before ever being able to take an archery based feat, also monks do not get a fighting style without multi classing. If I was going to make an archer monk, it would only be 3 levels of monk and the rest would be battle master.

C: Level 6 features:

Your Kensei Weapon counts as magic for overcoming damage resistance. Cool. But how long before that becomes redundant by you just getting a magic weapon. That and any monk can still just unarmed attack for magic damage if the have to. It also depends on: A. how often your DM uses resistant monsters, B. how the magic item distribution is in the game, and C. Will what you attack with really be that much better than an unarmed strike in the first place, by now your unarmed strikes are 1d6, the most you are going to get out of a weapon is 1d10 and that is only 2 attacks a round, only 1 if you want the 2 ac, if you are at ranged, the most common magic item in the entire game is a +1 arrow, by now you should have enough around to shoot a bow against things you simply can't reach that are ALSO resistant to non-magic that it shouldn't matter.

other ability is 1ki for a mini-smite. In the long run not a great as just using that same ki for some of your other abilities, but on a crit i can see it being used against some targets. Not too cost effective but pretty good.

You also get to pick another Kensei Weapon, so if you found a magic Longsword but your Kensei weapon was a battleaxe you can pick it up now, but that also makes a bigger chance that your first level 6 ability gets redundant early.

D: Level 11 feature:

Can spend 1/2/3 ki to give your Kensei weapon a + 1/2/3, not bad at all BUT, it does not stack with any other +s on the weapon already.
If you have a +1 longsword, this ability is pointless unless you also carry a normal longsword you can pull to spend 3 ki to make it a +3.
Most magic weapons have a +1/2/3 already so are out, if you do find one of the ones that don't like the flame tongue, you have to have picked it as a Kensei weapon.
This feature also makes your level 6 ability redundant, again.
Again also, if you want that +2 ac, you will only be attacking once with your new magic enhanced weapon, but 2 maybe 3 times with your unarmed strike.
I can see this being good as a backup plan for if your weapons are taken, but then again, back to the idea that any monk can just attack unarmed for 1d8 by this point.
IF and that is a big if, you can use this ability on your main weapon that is already magic, great, you got very lucky.
For most of the time, this will not be getting used to its fullest at all.
Also, another Kensei Weapon to pick from, at this point you have taken a Longbow and whatever 1d8 versatile 1d10 weapon you wanted, at level 3, so the rest are just whatever you find that is magic, make it a Kensei weapon.

E. Level 17 Feature:

A free re-roll on a miss once a turn. Yes, that is some kind of nice. Had to wade through some blah features to get it but sweet. This is what kensei should have been like all the way through.

The Subclass is mediocre at best, but could have been so amazing if it was just tweeked a little bit.

There is no need for that many Kensei weapon choices.

Let them pick 1 weapon at level 3 and another at level 11.
Their level 6 ability makes whatever weapon they picked a +1 weapon
Level 11 makes it a +2, second weapon becomes +1
Level 17 makes it a +3 , second weapon becomes +2

Add in a clause of "as long as you have enough Ki points left in your pool = to the + you can have it is active" if you want.

OR

Let them pick unarmed strike as a Kensei weapon.

I love the concept of the weapon master monk, they just really fouled it up.

Amechra
2020-04-08, 11:11 AM
Melee: You now know how to use your new weapon in melee, so at most you gained 1 point of damage in by giving up the versatility of using a spear as well as not using PAM if you chose to take it.

Why would you ever take PAM on a Monk? Your default bonus-action attack from being a Monk is equal to the bonus action from PAM, if not better and you can't use GWM with Monk weapons regardless of which ones you pick. Literally the only benefit you're getting is the ability to OA people who try to get up in your face, which is eh on a Monk due to their low per-attack damage.

Also, when it comes to ranged weapons, flying enemies are a thing, and fighting at range is actually better if you're highly mobile, because you can kite people. Plus, if you're doing a focused Ranged Monk, you can dump your Wisdom like a bad habit (since the only thing a Kensei would need their save DC for is Stunning Strike, which they can't use at range). So if you want to be Archer Monk, The Monk That Is An Archer, you really just need to max out your Dexterity.

Segev
2020-04-08, 11:15 AM
Letting the Kensei use Stunning Strike at range might actually make the subclass more interesting.

Misterwhisper
2020-04-08, 11:16 AM
Why would you ever take PAM on a Monk? Your default bonus-action attack from being a Monk is equal to the bonus action from PAM, if not better and you can't use GWM with Monk weapons regardless of which ones you pick. Literally the only benefit you're getting is the ability to OA people who try to get up in your face, which is eh on a Monk due to their low per-attack damage.

Also, when it comes to ranged weapons, flying enemies are a thing, and fighting at range is actually better if you're highly mobile, because you can kite people. Plus, if you're doing a focused Ranged Monk, you can dump your Wisdom like a bad habit (since the only thing a Kensei would need their save DC for is Stunning Strike, which they can't use at range). So if you want to be Archer Monk, The Monk That Is An Archer, you really just need to max out your Dexterity.

I didn't say it is a good idea but I have seen it happen.
I have seen even more monks take Revenant Blade and just ignore martial arts all together.

The point of the archer topic is that monks already make passable archers because of their great dex and movement, taking kensei for it is not that important.

You can make a great archer as a shadow monk, an or an open hand monk.

Also, to the mention of stunning strike at range, that would be crazy broken.
Why would anyone pick anything else?
I can do my melee stunning strikes or I can do them from 150 feet with a longbow...

They should have made Kensei monk a more melee weapon specific subclass and made Zen Archer its own subclass.

Segev
2020-04-08, 11:18 AM
Additionally, the Kensei, of all subclasses, should have probably gotten a feature to use martial arts and flurry of blows with their chosen weapons.

stoutstien
2020-04-08, 11:25 AM
Trading approximately 3 damage
For 2 AC every attack action on anyone is solid. On a barbarian/monk trying to draw as much fire as possible it is exceptional.

At barb 4/ monk 1 ki is going to be a premium. they're not going to get a subclass feature until level eight. so they're going to need something with a little cost and a big return that works with rage when they need it to.

elyktsorb
2020-04-08, 12:46 PM
Okay so. Kensei. I'm literally only interested in the +2 AC ability you get from it. I already have a magic weapon (A Yklwa of Lightning) but I'm stuck with 17 AC, I can't use Shields (Well I can but then I can't do monk stuff), and my only other options are to to get items of Protection for the bonus to AC, or to build up my Monk Unarmored Defense (Yes I took monk at first lvl) which won't happen for very long.

Now, as to the limited nature of Kensei in relation to weapons, the Yklwa, is basically a short spear, with a thrown range of 10/30ft (I know right?) but most importantly, it's a Simple weapon that deals a 1d8 without being two handed. I've been using this since session 1. But my dm is a pretty cool dude and is understanding of 'yeah, this is my weapon' hence him giving me an Lightning Yklwa, an obviously reskinned Javelin of Lightning (to the point of where he didn't realize he forgot to change the range on it, so it had a thrown of 30/120ft, though I corrected him on this) As far as ranged options go, no I'm not ranged, I only ever throw something if it's my only option so using a bow isn't even apart of the equation.

Long Death's temp hp on kill is probably what I'm leaning on the most here. I haven't considered Drunken Master all that much since I'm not that interested in getting away from fights, especially with how squishy my allies are. Open Hand is probably my second pick so far. The main reason I'm considering a Shadow Monk is that getting Silence would go a long way to helping me deal with spell casters.

Misterwhisper
2020-04-08, 12:53 PM
Okay so. Kensei. I'm literally only interested in the +2 AC ability you get from it. I already have a magic weapon (A Yklwa of Lightning) but I'm stuck with 17 AC, I can't use Shields (Well I can but then I can't do monk stuff), and my only other options are to to get items of Protection for the bonus to AC, or to build up my Monk Unarmored Defense (Yes I took monk at first lvl) which won't happen for very long.

Now, as to the limited nature of Kensei in relation to weapons, the Yklwa, is basically a short spear, with a thrown range of 10/30ft (I know right?) but most importantly, it's a Simple weapon that deals a 1d8 without being two handed. I've been using this since session 1. But my dm is a pretty cool dude and is understanding of 'yeah, this is my weapon' hence him giving me an Lightning Yklwa, an obviously reskinned Javelin of Lightning (to the point of where he didn't realize he forgot to change the range on it, so it had a thrown of 30/120ft, though I corrected him on this) As far as ranged options go, no I'm not ranged, I only ever throw something if it's my only option so using a bow isn't even apart of the equation.

Long Death's temp hp on kill is probably what I'm leaning on the most here. I haven't considered Drunken Master all that much since I'm not that interested in getting away from fights, especially with how squishy my allies are. Open Hand is probably my second pick so far. The main reason I'm considering a Shadow Monk is that getting Silence would go a long way to helping me deal with spell casters.

Think of drunken master more as bouncing from enemy to enemy and staying mobile instead of running away.

The issue with monks is that they are much, much more effective at striking and getting out than standing toe to toe.

Monks are not a velcro class like a barbarian or fighter, they fight more like rogues.

elyktsorb
2020-04-08, 12:58 PM
Think of drunken master more as bouncing from enemy to enemy and staying mobile instead of running away.

The issue with monks is that they are much, much more effective at striking and getting out than standing toe to toe.

Monks are not a velcro class like a barbarian or fighter, they fight more like rogues.

Okay but. I don't need to bounce between opponents. I primarily want to focus single targets until they die, and then repeat, and attract all the enemies by killing their allies as quickly as possible. Sure, I can see the benefit of being able to disengage for free, but at the end of the day, I can just disengage, or take the opportunity attacks (thank you bear totem barbarian). The way I see it, Drunken Master give's me more battlefield presence, which I feel I don't need more of, while Shadow could provide some important utility, Long Death will make me better at taking enemy hits, still unsure of Open Hand, and Kensei would literally just be for the +2 AC

Misterwhisper
2020-04-08, 01:03 PM
Okay but. I don't need to bounce between opponents. I primarily want to focus single targets until they die, and then repeat, and attract all the enemies by killing their allies as quickly as possible. Sure, I can see the benefit of being able to disengage for free, but at the end of the day, I can just disengage, or take the opportunity attacks (thank you bear totem barbarian). The way I see it, Drunken Master give's me more battlefield presence, which I feel I don't need more of, while Shadow could provide some important utility, Long Death will make me better at taking enemy hits, still unsure of Open Hand, and Kensei would literally just be for the +2 AC

That +2 ac comes at the price of not using your short spear.

If you want battlefield control and as I call it Velcro fighting:
You really need sentinel. It is just perfect for that.
Open hand is good for putting enemies where you need them.

Honestly, monk is not very good at that kind of thing.

Bear totem into battlemaster would have been much better.

Segev
2020-04-08, 01:26 PM
Sentinel has been one of the favorite abilities the barbarian in my Tomb of Annihilation game has picked up. She adores being able to lock people to her and punish them for attacking anybody other than her.

How's your Strength(Athletics)?

elyktsorb
2020-04-08, 02:53 PM
That +2 ac comes at the price of not using your short spear.

If you want battlefield control and as I call it Velcro fighting:
You really need sentinel. It is just perfect for that.
Open hand is good for putting enemies where you need them.

Honestly, monk is not very good at that kind of thing.

Bear totem into battlemaster would have been much better.

I never said I wanted battlefield control, sure sentinel could help me lock opponents but if an opponent runs from me I can catch then easily. And maybe monk isn't perfect but you know, Tortle Monk/Barb is a fun class combo so far.

Amechra
2020-04-09, 01:55 AM
I didn't say it is a good idea but I have seen it happen.
I have seen even more monks take Revenant Blade and just ignore martial arts all together.

The point of the archer topic is that monks already make passable archers because of their great dex and movement, taking kensei for it is not that important.

You can make a great archer as a shadow monk, an or an open hand monk.

Also, to the mention of stunning strike at range, that would be crazy broken.
Why would anyone pick anything else?
I can do my melee stunning strikes or I can do them from 150 feet with a longbow...

They should have made Kensei monk a more melee weapon specific subclass and made Zen Archer its own subclass.

I can kinda see doing a Shadow Monk Archer, but I really don't see Open Hand Monks as doing anything for you if fighting at range is your game plan. Seriously, the only subclass feature that you can actually make use of while plinking away with a bow is Wholeness of Body. I do think Kensei push Monks from "passable" to "kinda decent" as archers - their damage is roughly on par with a non-Action Surging Archery-focused Champion for the first two tiers, with much better mobility and the ability to immediately swap over to mixing it up in melee.

And believe me, I wasn't suggesting Stunning Strike at a range - it's a strong ability as it is.

---

Honestly, the Kensei is probably closer to a Zen Archer subclass than a melee weapon master. It feels like the subclass is designed with weapon swapping in mind - if you have longswords as a Kensei weapon, for example, you could grab a random longsword and treat it like a +3 weapon. And that would be great if 5e's weapons weren't so bland and you weren't encouraged to heavily focus on a specific weapon. And it's not like you're going to run into a situation where the DM takes away your toys often enough for that to be relevant.

When it comes to archery, Kensei does supply you with something to spend ki on offensively (because you can't use Stunning Strike, and Flurry isn't going to help you very much if you're very far away), and it gives you something to use your bonus action on when you don't need to dash/dodge. Deft Strike is much more attractive when it isn't competing with Stunning Strike.

I agree that Sharpen the Blade is kinda trash, though. I'd personally prefer it if it was just a Wisdom-based version of the Devotion Paladin's Sacred Weapon, or something.

elyktsorb
2020-04-09, 05:57 AM
I can kinda see doing a Shadow Monk Archer, but I really don't see Open Hand Monks as doing anything for you if fighting at range is your game plan. Seriously, the only subclass feature that you can actually make use of while plinking away with a bow is Wholeness of Body. I do think Kensei push Monks from "passable" to "kinda decent" as archers - their damage is roughly on par with a non-Action Surging Archery-focused Champion for the first two tiers, with much better mobility and the ability to immediately swap over to mixing it up in melee.

And believe me, I wasn't suggesting Stunning Strike at a range - it's a strong ability as it is.

---

Honestly, the Kensei is probably closer to a Zen Archer subclass than a melee weapon master. It feels like the subclass is designed with weapon swapping in mind - if you have longswords as a Kensei weapon, for example, you could grab a random longsword and treat it like a +3 weapon. And that would be great if 5e's weapons weren't so bland and you weren't encouraged to heavily focus on a specific weapon. And it's not like you're going to run into a situation where the DM takes away your toys often enough for that to be relevant.

When it comes to archery, Kensei does supply you with something to spend ki on offensively (because you can't use Stunning Strike, and Flurry isn't going to help you very much if you're very far away), and it gives you something to use your bonus action on when you don't need to dash/dodge. Deft Strike is much more attractive when it isn't competing with Stunning Strike.

I agree that Sharpen the Blade is kinda trash, though. I'd personally prefer it if it was just a Wisdom-based version of the Devotion Paladin's Sacred Weapon, or something.

I think Sharpen the Blade might be objectively trash, since if you have a +X weapon, it won't work on that weapon period.

Buuut I feel like this is also a little off the topic since my character isn't ranged in the slightest. I'm probably not picking Kensei over the other options.

Amechra
2020-04-09, 09:27 AM
I think Sharpen the Blade might be objectively trash, since if you have a +X weapon, it won't work on that weapon period.

Buuut I feel like this is also a little off the topic since my character isn't ranged in the slightest. I'm probably not picking Kensei over the other options.

I mean, the point isn't that you buff your weapon before each fight. It's for those times when you can't use your primary weapon. The big example being that you can carry around a nonmagical longbow as back-up, since you can just buff it up to match your primary weapon if you need to fight at range. It also eases up the requirement to have two enchanted weapons to get full use of two-weapon fighting. The problem is that A) Monks have literally no reason to use TWF and B) having a full subclass feature for an incredibly niche situation is kinda "eh".

Then again, most Monk subclasses get a really trashy ability at 11th level. Long Death and Shadows are actually outliers.

Anyway, with your given goals, I'm thinking that Long Death is really what you'll want. You're giving up a lot of the Barbarian's durability by going Monk, and you're skipping most of the Monk's built-in forms of not dying, so taking the "hard to kill" subclass is probably a good idea.