PDA

View Full Version : bonus action spell list

saucerhead
2020-04-06, 12:47 PM
An updated list from Spectre's original one. For gish players that forget to use a bonus action. (like me)
*Spells that are a full action to cast, but are a bonus action to use on subsequent turns for the duration.
- -Spells that are allowed by (certain sub-classe abilities) to be cast as a bonus action.

CANTRIPS
- *Mage Hand - (Arcane Trickster)
Magic Stone
Shillelagh
- Spare the Dying - (Grave Cleric)

LEVEL 1
- Command - (Glamour Bard)
Compelled Duel
Divine Favor
Ensnaring Strike
Expeditious Retreat
Hail of Thorns
Healing Word
Hex
Hunter's Mark
Sanctuary
Searing Smite
Shield of Faith
Thunderous Smite
Wrathful Smite
Zephyr Strike

LEVEL 2
Branding Smite
Dragon's Breath
Flame Blade
Healing Spirit
*Heat Metal
Magic Weapon
Misty Step
Shadow Blade
Spiritual Weapon

LEVEL 3
Blinding Smite
Lightning Arrow
Mass Healing Word

LEVEL 4
Grasping Vine
Guardian of Nature
Staggering Smite

LEVEL 5
Banishing Smite
Far Step
Holy Weapon
Swift Quiver

LEVEL 7
*Crown of Stars
Divine Word
- Etherealness - (Horizon Walker)

Greywander
2020-04-06, 04:40 PM
Don't forget that Grave clerics can BA Spare the Dying, and at a distance, too. There's probably other class features that turn action spells into BA spells, but this was the first one I thought of.

You might also include those spells where you cast them, and then can use a BA on subsequent turns with that spell, such as with Spiritual Weapon.

Edit: I'm a dummy and didn't see Spiritual Weapon was already there. The basic point still stands, though, but maybe you already have all the spells that use BAs while active.

col_impact
2020-04-06, 04:45 PM
Branding Smite is a good one to get somehow, via Necklace of Prayer Beads or Magical Secrets if you dont already have smite. You can use brandding smite for ranged attacks.

Guardian Nature is a good one for non-moon druid. You can BA guardian then action wildshape into ape or something.

Robert's Dragon
2020-04-06, 05:16 PM
Huh. Banishing Smite and Branding Smite don't specify melee weapon... the rest of the smite spells need to be a melee weapon.

Also Flaming Sphere takes is another one that takes an action to cast then can be manipulated with a bonus action

Magicspook
2020-04-06, 05:58 PM
Glamour bards get command as a bonus action.

Zetakya
2020-04-06, 06:30 PM
maybe you already have all the spells that use BAs while active.

Just at a glance I can see Crown Of Stars isn't there, so OP definitely doesn't.

MrStabby
2020-04-06, 06:42 PM
Just at a glance I can see Crown Of Stars isn't there, so OP definitely doesn't.

Yeah, and heat metal is a pretty good use of a BA as well.

JNAProductions
2020-04-06, 09:04 PM
Filter by "Casting Time" (https://donjon.bin.sh/5e/spells/)

saucerhead
2020-04-07, 07:44 AM
Don't forget that Grave clerics can BA Spare the Dying, and at a distance, too. There's probably other class features that turn action spells into BA spells, but this was the first one I thought of.

You might also include those spells where you cast them, and then can use a BA on subsequent turns with that spell, such as with Spiritual Weapon.

Edit: I'm a dummy and didn't see Spiritual Weapon was already there. The basic point still stands, though, but maybe you already have all the spells that use BAs while active.

Thanks for the suggestion, Greywander. Spells that make use of your bonus action after initially casting them would be helpful too. I will give it a look, as I was also unaware of your example of the Grave cleric ability.

saucerhead
2020-04-07, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, and heat metal is a pretty good use of a BA as well.

Thanks for the suggestion.