PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next PEACH - Player Created Spell: Duplicitious Double

tmjr6
2020-04-06, 12:56 PM
Hello everyone,

One of my players' illusion wizard wants to create a new spell as a weaker version of the Trickery Cleric's Invoke Duplicity ability. This is the mockup she sent me, thoughts?

Duplicitous Double
1st Level Illusion

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a silver hand mirror worth at least 50 gp)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You create a perfect illusion of yourself that lasts for the duration of the spell. The illusion appears in an unoccupied space that you can see within range. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the illusion up to 30 feet to a space you can see, but it must remain within 120 feet of you.

For the duration, you can cast spells as though you were in the illusion’s space, but you must use your own senses.

clash
2020-04-06, 02:06 PM
The spell seems reasonable, but I would make it 2nd level. Compare it to other spells like disguise self or silent image. While not as versatile out of combat it definitely seems stronger. I also would not allow it as a spell in any game with a trickster cleric.

tmjr6
2020-04-06, 02:50 PM
I was also thinking about making it a 2nd level spell. Thankfully this party does not have a single cleric among them, the two main healers are a bard and a divine soul sorcerer. But I also agree that if my players wanted to use this in a future campaign, I wouldn't allow them to use this spell if one wanted to play a Trickery Cleric.

Zarrgon
2020-04-06, 08:02 PM
As written it is way too powerful. An unstoppable spell launching spell is way, way, way, way, way too powerful for 1st level.

Note Project Image is all ready a spell in 5E too and it does most of this spells effects. (though for some reason the 5E version can't cast spells through it?!)

You might want to limit the spell to cantrips only and add in the If the illusion takes any damage, it disappears, and the spell ends and Physical interaction with the image reveals it to be an illusion, because things can pass through it. A creature that uses its action to examine the image can determine that it is an illusion with a successful Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC. If a creature discerns the illusion for what it is, the creature can see through the image, and any noise it makes sounds hollow to the creature.

From Projected Image.

Segev
2020-04-07, 01:27 PM
I'd make it 6th level and call it greater mislead or misleading double. Crib mislead (http://5e.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mislead.htm)'s language and update it a bit:

Misleading Double
6th-level illusion
Range: Self
Components: S
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

You become invisible at the same time that an illusory double of you appears where you are standing. The double persists for the duration, but the invisibility ends if you attack or cast a spell from your own location.

You can use your action to move your illusory double up to twice your speed and make it gesture, speak, and behave in whatever way you choose.

You can see through its eyes and hear through its ears as if you were located where it is. On each of your turns as a bonus action, you can switch from using its senses to using your own, or back again. While you are using its senses, you may cast spells as if you were standing in its location, but you are blinded and deafened in regard to your own surroundings.

This is a semi-port of older editions' project image, while being less powerful in other ways than the 5e version of that spell. It keeps the Trickery Cleric's ability unique, but is better in some ways while being more costly.

heavyfuel
2020-04-07, 03:56 PM
As written it is way too powerful. An unstoppable spell launching spell is way, way, way, way, way too powerful for 1st level.

Note Project Image is all ready a spell in 5E too and it does most of this spells effects. (though for some reason the 5E version can't cast spells through it?!)

You might want to limit the spell to cantrips only and add in the If the illusion takes any damage, it disappears, and the spell ends and Physical interaction with the image reveals it to be an illusion, because things can pass through it. A creature that uses its action to examine the image can determine that it is an illusion with a successful Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC. If a creature discerns the illusion for what it is, the creature can see through the image, and any noise it makes sounds hollow to the creature.

From Projected Image.

Couldn't agree more.

Even with these restrictions I'd make it a higher level. Probably lv 3.

If you, OP, are dead set on making it low level, I'd add that any creature targeted by a spell cast from the Double gets an Intelligence save on top of any saves allowed by the spell. If they pass this Int save, they also recognize the illusion and cannot be affected by spells cast by it.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-04-07, 11:01 PM
Hello everyone,

One of my players' illusion wizard wants to create a new spell as a weaker version of the Trickery Cleric's Invoke Duplicity ability. This is the mockup she sent me, thoughts?

Duplicitous Double
1st Level Illusion

Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a silver hand mirror worth at least 50 gp)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You create a perfect illusion of yourself that lasts for the duration of the spell. The illusion appears in an unoccupied space that you can see within range. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the illusion up to 30 feet to a space you can see, but it must remain within 120 feet of you.

For the duration, you can cast spells as though you were in the illusion’s space, but you must use your own senses.

Have them play a trickery cleric.

But at the very least this is a 3rd level higher level spell. Major Image is more restrained in some ways and less so in others.

The sheer amount of usefulness thus gives you is insane (and why Trickery cleric is low key amazing). Even without the advantage to attacks.

The illusion copies your image. If the PC goes invisible, so does the image. (As confirmed by the devs because it's a perfect illusion of you).

This spell gives the player one of the ultimate misdirection tool in the game. Invisibility may make you unseen, but Duplicity makes it where enemies can't tell you apart and they will have to waste an entire turn figuring this out.

Being able to take away turns, attack through it, disguise it and you as your ally (disguise self isn't concentration) for even more misdirection...

Running away from an enemy? Split up with your illusion while you hide.

Have your illusion spring enemy traps, not like pressure traps, but to see if enemies are hiding and ready to attack.

This illusion has no AC, no HP, and can only be dispelled if you lose concentration or someone hits you with a dispel magic... Which means they aren't targeting you with something worse.

Breccia
2020-04-08, 12:03 AM
I seem to remember a spell called project image from earlier editions that had a similar effect. It was sixth level.

You can find its 3rd Ed version here (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/3e_SRD:Project_Image).