PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Eldritch Knight and Haste/Extra Attack

Expired
2020-04-06, 11:05 PM
If an Eldritch Knight, of suitable level, casts Haste on themselves and uses the hasted action to attack, does that allow for Extra Attack to trigger? Additionally, is there a method to optimize an EK's actions to prevent class features from the EK subclass from conflicting with Extra Attack?

LudicSavant
2020-04-06, 11:24 PM
If an Eldritch Knight, of suitable level, casts Haste on themselves and uses the hasted action to attack, does that allow for Extra Attack to trigger? Additionally, is there a method to optimize an EK's actions to prevent class features from the EK subclass from conflicting with Extra Attack?

Haste gives you just one attack, per the line in the spell "(one weapon Attack only)".

Griswold
2020-04-06, 11:24 PM
The Haste Spell says:

That action can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action.
So no, you're not using it to make multiple attacks.

Which class features, other than War Magic, conflict with Extra Attack? In general, the Attack action is going to be your go-to action during combat, and then you can either use your (very meager) number of spell slots for the Shield and Absorb Elements spells in combat, or for utility out of combat.

To best optimize for War Magic, cast Booming Blade or Green-Flame Blade, which get both scaling damage and your weapon attack. Until you hit level 11, you can use it to both get the damage of 2 attacks plus the cantrip's rider. At 11+, War Magic does okay damage still (since cantrips scale in damage) but it's more of a backup. You can use it as a ranged backup, to target enemies that are weak against some damage time, or to apply a debuff (chill touch is an excellent choice for this purpose).

If you want to avoid conflicts at all costs, just don't take Polearm Mastery, since then you'll be losing out on those bonus action polearm attacks quite often.

Expired
2020-04-06, 11:31 PM
Haste gives you just one attack, per the line in the spell "(one weapon Attack only)".

The Haste Spell says:

So no, you're not using it to make multiple attacks.

Which class features, other than War Magic, conflict with Extra Attack? In general, the Attack action is going to be your go-to action during combat, and then you can either use your (very meager) number of spell slots for the Shield and Absorb Elements spells in combat, or for utility out of combat.

To best optimize for War Magic, cast Booming Blade or Green-Flame Blade, which get both scaling damage and your weapon attack. Until you hit level 11, you can use it to both get the damage of 2 attacks plus the cantrip's rider. At 11+, War Magic does okay damage still (since cantrips scale in damage) but it's more of a backup. You can use it as a ranged backup, to target enemies that are weak against some damage time, or to apply a debuff (chill touch is an excellent choice for this purpose).

If you want to avoid conflicts at all costs, just don't take Polearm Mastery, since then you'll be losing out on those bonus action polearm attacks quite often.
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I will definitely take Booming Blade and War Caster so even if I attack during my turn, I can use BB on the AoO. What do you think about Sentinel? Does it interfere with the BB rider effect? And in the case of race/feats for an EK, how important would Elven Accuracy be and is the extra feat from VHuman more worthwhile? And considering that I can possibly get Str increasing magic items, is Dex or Str more optimal? I know I'd have to use Dex for Elven accuracy but is triple advantage worth the damage lost from having above 20 Str?

LudicSavant
2020-04-06, 11:39 PM
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I will definitely take Booming Blade and War Caster so even if I attack during my turn, I can use BB on the AoO. What do you think about Sentinel? Does it interfere with the BB rider effect? And in the case of race/feats for an EK, how important would Elven Accuracy be and is the extra feat from VHuman more worthwhile? And considering that I can possibly get Str increasing magic items, is Dex or Str better?

I find Sentinel to be unnecessary when you have Warcaster Booming Blade. It is a sufficient punishment for movement on its own IMHO.

Elven Accuracy is a great feat for Dex EKs, since it's so easy to get Advantage and EKs can crit pretty hard with Shadow Blade. Basically you go something like Shadar-Kai with 17 Dex, bump it to 18 with Elven Accuracy. That way you're basically only "half a feat" behind the VHuman, and get all the lovely benefits of being an elf in exchange (charm resistance, Darkvision, bonus action teleport/resistance, etc).

Usually I prefer to go Dex just because better Reflex saves, initiative, and stealth makes a big difference, and because you can get the same AC as mundane plate with Mage Armor. But magic item access can change up the formula a bit. How big of Str-increasing magic items? If it's just 19, you probably want to max your attack stat anyways. If it's 29, then that's a huge boon.

Expired
2020-04-06, 11:48 PM
I find Sentinel to be unnecessary when you have Warcaster Booming Blade. It is a sufficient punishment for movement on its own IMHO.

Elven Accuracy is a great feat for Dex EKs, since it's so easy to get Advantage. Basically you go something like Shadar-Kai with 17 Dex, bump it to 18 with Elven Accuracy. That way you're basically only "half a feat" behind the VHuman, and get all the lovely benefits of being an elf in exchange (charm resistance, Darkvision, bonus action teleport/resistance, etc).
The addition of Darkvision and Fey Ancestry will definitely help. How important is Int and should I dump it and look for a Headband of Intellect?

The DM said that Gauntlets of Ogre Power and Belts of Giant's Strength up to 29 Str will be available at higher levels. That's why I'm having a hard time deciding between EA and using Str.

LudicSavant
2020-04-06, 11:52 PM
The addition of Darkvision and Fey Ancestry will definitely help. How important is Int and should I dump it and look for a Headband of Intellect?

The DM said that belt up to 29 Str will be available at higher levels. That's why I'm having a hard time deciding between EA and using Str.

There are enough good Eldritch Knight spells that don't rely on your Int score to fill up all your spells known. As a result I put Int in the category of "nice to have, but not necessary for every build."

Expired
2020-04-07, 12:14 AM
There are enough good Eldritch Knight spells that don't rely on your Int score to fill up all your spells known. As a result I put Int in the category of "nice to have, but not necessary for every build."
I thought so. I mainly want the Abjuration spells anyway. Thank you for your help, LudicSavant!