PDA

View Full Version : Eberron Campaign solo?

Alhallor
2020-04-07, 08:26 AM
Hello Playground,

I would like to try to GM the Eberron Campaign (Shadows of the Last War, Whispers of the Vampire's blade, Grasp of the Emerald Claw, etc...) But I would probably have only one player (that would most likely play a druid.)

I think it could be beatable, the Player would most likely have another companion in the form of a NPC Warrior in the players level as another body on the battlefield.

I would like to know from more experienced GM's if this is possible or if I expect too much out of the player?

Falontani
2020-04-07, 12:03 PM
I haven't run the campaigns, but I do know that there are some things that having a Dragonmark of a certain kind can help.
I would suggest the player be able to hire various Dragonmarked individuals when they are in civilized areas (most of khorvaire). I suggest having the melee companion be a shifter ranger, they make sense to be with most types of druids, but you can easily have it switch between melee, ranged, scouting, trapping, etc based off what the druid needs, without being too good at any place that if the druid used slots could probably do all of that better than the ranger.

Possible hirelings:
Deneith Fighter, Knight, or Duskblade
Ghallanda Rogue, Factotum, or Bard
Jorasco Healer, Warlock, or Crusader
Orien Barbarian, Ranger, or Scout
Cannith Artificer, Warmage, or Wizard
Kundarak Knight, Archivist, or Rogue
Lyrandar Sorcerer, Swashbuckler, or Scout
Medani Cloistered Cleric, Wizard, or Savant
Tharaashk Barbarian, Ranger, Scout, or Druid
Svis Wizard, Beguiler, or Bard
Phiarlan Swordsage, Monk, or Bard
Thuranni Rogue, Ninja, or Hexblade
Vadalis Druid, Ranger, or Knight

Endarire
2020-04-08, 02:20 AM
Doable as a Druid? If done correctly, absolutely!

Eggynack's Druid Guide (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=16399.0) explains Druids in great detail!

Alhallor
2020-04-08, 02:30 AM
I haven't run the campaigns, but I do know that there are some things that having a Dragonmark of a certain kind can help.
I would suggest the player be able to hire various Dragonmarked individuals when they are in civilized areas (most of khorvaire). I suggest having the melee companion be a shifter ranger, they make sense to be with most types of druids, but you can easily have it switch between melee, ranged, scouting, trapping, etc based off what the druid needs, without being too good at any place that if the druid used slots could probably do all of that better than the ranger.

Possible hirelings:
Deneith Fighter, Knight, or Duskblade
Ghallanda Rogue, Factotum, or Bard
Jorasco Healer, Warlock, or Crusader
Orien Barbarian, Ranger, or Scout
Cannith Artificer, Warmage, or Wizard
Kundarak Knight, Archivist, or Rogue
Lyrandar Sorcerer, Swashbuckler, or Scout
Medani Cloistered Cleric, Wizard, or Savant
Tharaashk Barbarian, Ranger, Scout, or Druid
Svis Wizard, Beguiler, or Bard
Phiarlan Swordsage, Monk, or Bard
Thuranni Rogue, Ninja, or Hexblade
Vadalis Druid, Ranger, or Knight

I would definitely let them hire various people, and making the NPC a Ranger may be a really good idea, but I didn't wanted too overshadow the "main-character" so to speak and therefore wanted to make him more of a standard human NPC warrior.

Biggus
2020-04-08, 03:05 AM
Hello Playground,

I would like to try to GM the Eberron Campaign (Shadows of the Last War, Whispers of the Vampire's blade, Grasp of the Emerald Claw, etc...) But I would probably have only one player (that would most likely play a druid.)

I think it could be beatable, the Player would most likely have another companion in the form of a NPC Warrior in the players level as another body on the battlefield.

I would like to know from more experienced GM's if this is possible or if I expect too much out of the player?

I don't know that specific campaign, but I've been running solo adventures for a while now, and in general they're very much doable, although you may need to make some minor adjustments. I start them off with 3 "fate points" (I stole the idea from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay) which are basically a "no, you didn't just die" button. Once they reach mid-levels, as long as their companion survives they can get them raised or resurrected, but that's not really an option at low levels.

Another possibility is to make them a gestalt character, partly to make them more survivable and partly to give them a wider range of abilities, but if they're a Druid and will have a companion that may not be necessary.

I would definitely let them hire various people, and making the NPC a Ranger may be a really good idea, but I didn't wanted too overshadow the "main-character" so to speak and therefore wanted to make him more of a standard human NPC warrior.

It would be pretty unusual for a Ranger to overshadow a Druid. It'd be pretty unusual for anyone to overshadow a Druid if the player knows what they're doing in fact...

Falontani
2020-04-08, 04:10 AM
I think the ranger would only over shadow the druid in aspects the druid didn't try to do himself. It's entirely an effort and cost thing. It might cost the druid 1 wild shape and four slots, but the druid can do it better than the ranger.

Alhallor
2020-04-09, 03:32 AM
Well, thanks for the help guys but the player decided that it wasn't really his idea of a game. Still thank you a lot for your help.

Falontani
2020-04-09, 10:57 AM
Aww. Sorry.

Palanan
2020-04-11, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Alhallor
Well, thanks for the help guys but the player decided that it wasn't really his idea of a game. Still thank you a lot for your help.

Urf, really sorry to hear that.

Were you planning for this to be in-person or PbP? If in-person, he might have wanted more of a group atmosphere.

Alhallor
2020-04-14, 07:24 AM
I wanted a In-Person game and to do some cool map based movement tactic stuff but sadly the potential player wanted a more roleplaying focused game. Not that the game would have been without RP but not enough.