PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Oath of Anarchy (5e)

zminseo
2020-04-07, 12:45 PM
I don't like the Oath of the Crown so I made a homebrew which contradicts it :) It is meant to be a Nietzsche-like mindset with the focus on overcoming bias and ignorance. Hope you like it!

Paladin: Oath of Anarchy
A paladin who follows the Oath of Anarchy is sworn against all forms of organized government. It recognizes that there is no truth except for the fact that there is no truth, and vow to destroy anything which might try to fool others to think otherwise.

Tenets:
Anarchy. All governments are corrupted and stagnant. You must tear them down in order to restore proper balance to the world.
Objectivity. You must never let yourself and your way of thought be swayed by society or those around you. You must always remain clear of mind in order to combat ignorance in the best way.
Enlightenment. Always seek further knowledge. Never close your mind. You must be able to consider all perspectives in your dealing out of justice.
Constance. Anarchy is not unadulterated chaos. It is simply the absence of government, an oppressive force which corrupts the minds of the people. Act only against corruption, not on your personal whims.

Oath Spells:
Level 3: Dissonant Whispers, Magic Missile
Level 5: Phantasmal Force, Shatter
Level 7: Blink, Fear
Level 13: Confusion, Hallucinatory Terrain
Level 17: Bigby's Hand, Synaptic Static(XGtE)

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity Options.
Sworn Enemy. Choose a political organization or that you have studied extensively for at least four hours. For the next minute, you add your charisma modifier to creature belonging to this organization. It is the DM's discretion whether you have enough knowledge about a certain organization to add your bonus.
Dimensional Terror. Teleport to an unoccupied space you can see within 60 ft. After you teleport, all creatures within 30 ft of you must make an intelligence saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is stunned until the end of yur next turn.

Aura of Defiance
Beginning at 7th level, if there are no friendly creatures within 10 feet of you, you have advantage on saving throws that hostile creatures within your aura force you to make. At level 18, hostile creatures in your aura also have disadvantage on attack roll against you.

Will to Power
Beginning at 15th level, when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can choose another creature within 5 ft of the creature to deal damage equal to 1d8 + your Charisma modifier to.

Name??
At 20th level, you can use an action to gain the following benefits for 1 minute:
You can cast the spell Thunder Step as a bonus action on each of your turns without expending a spell slot.
Whenever you hit a creature with a weapon attack, it must make an intelligence saving throw or be stunned until the beginning of your next turn.

Grey Watcher
2020-04-08, 09:18 PM
... Nietzsche-like mindset...
Name??

I mean, you almost have to call the capstone ability Übermensch, no? :smallwink:

Old Harry MTX
2020-04-09, 01:04 AM
I like the concept, but I feel it to be a bit too much battle-centered to be an oath of anarchy. I like the idea of Aura of defiance that gives you benefit if you are isolated, but I feel Dimensional Terror as a bit OP and Will to Power not themed enough. For the rest I like it.

Magicspook
2020-04-11, 02:55 AM
What does sworn enemy do? 'You add your charisma modifier to members of that organisation'. To what about them? Attack rolls against them? Skill checks to influence them? Saving throws against effects from them?

Also, your spell list doesn't really seem appropriate to an oath of anarchy, looks more like an oath of absolute destruction. I suggest adding zone of truth. Maybe geas or calm emotions? Freedom of movement?