PDA

View Full Version : Is this overpowered?

nhbdy
2007-10-24, 02:16 PM
Is the spellcaster class overpowered? it is in the srd here is where it is found
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm#spellcaster

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-24, 02:28 PM
I don't think so. The spells known are so few that I don't think it can really become that broken. Sure it gets whatever spells it wants, but the number known is limited. Plus as a spontaneous caster, it makes metamagic cheese a little more difficult.

goat
2007-10-24, 02:53 PM
I suppose you could build a sort of cloistered cleric, casting spontaneous divine spells using intelligence rather than wisdom to get your skills up, taking turn undead out of the bonus feats for divine meta-cheese.

But you'd get no domains, no light armour, d4 hit-dice...

It's not really worth it unless you have specific hideous spell-combo dreams.

shadowdemon_lord
2007-10-24, 03:26 PM
I think that class might be the closest thing to a balanced higher level caster I've ever seen. I think properly built you could still pound other classes into the dirt, but you might actually have to work at it.

nhbdy
2007-10-24, 03:28 PM
I suppose you could build a sort of cloistered cleric, casting spontaneous divine spells using intelligence rather than wisdom to get your skills up, taking turn undead out of the bonus feats for divine meta-cheese.

But you'd get no domains, no light armour, d4 hit-dice...

It's not really worth it unless you have specific hideous spell-combo dreams.

if you are divine, you must use wisdom as primary casting stat

Vasdenjas
2007-10-24, 03:44 PM
if you are divine, you must use wisdom as primary casting stat

Yes, but

A spellcaster must choose at 1st level whether to be an arcane spellcaster or a divine spellcaster. This choice has no impact on the spells that she may learn

So, you could declare yourself an arcane caster, using Intelligence as your primary stat, and still select divine spells such as Righteous Might and such. I believe that is what goat was getting at.

Chronos
2007-10-24, 05:27 PM
Alternately, you could pick all wizard-type spells, but declare yourself to be divine so you can wear armor.

Mewtarthio
2007-10-24, 05:29 PM
Alternately, you could pick all wizard-type spells, but declare yourself to be divine so you can wear armor.

A spellcaster must choose at 1st level whether to be an arcane spellcaster or a divine spellcaster. This choice has no impact on the spells that she may learn, but affects what kinds of scrolls she can use and which ability score controls her spellcasting. An arcane spellcaster may designate either Intelligence or Charisma as the ability score that determines the highest-level spell she can learn or cast, and the Difficulty Class of her spell's-saving throws. A divine spellcaster must use Wisdom to determine the highest-level spell she can learn or cast, and the DC of her spell's saving throws.

The "arcane/divine" distinction has nothing to do with armor.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-24, 05:46 PM
Is the spellcaster class overpowered? it is in the srd here is where it is found
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm#spellcaster

I don't think so. Pretty much a no brainer. It is a better class than the sorcerer which was nerfed mechanically. I like the PRC feat cost for the class and the open spell list particularly for taking Anyspell granting the PC a few more spellcasting options in game. The Spellcaster loses something to PRC. In many ways it is still less powerful than a Favored Soul with MAD or a Beguiler.

Reel On, Love
2007-10-24, 05:50 PM
I don't think so. Pretty much a no brainer it is better class than the sorcerer which was nerfed mechanically. I like the PRC feat cost for the class and the open spell list particularly for taking Anyspell granting the PC a few more spellcasting options in game. The Spellcaster loses something to PRC. In many ways it is still less powerful than a Favored Soul with MAD or a Beguiler.

It's not a no brainer. Sorcerers get more spells/day *and* more spells known (which, with that small a number, is important).

Swooper
2007-10-24, 06:04 PM
I beg to differ. Arcane Spell Failiure doesn't apply to divine spells. Granted, the Spellcaster class in question still doesn't get proficiency with any kind of armour, but that could be fixed with a dip into Fighter or something.

greenknight
2007-10-24, 06:12 PM

Sure it does. Armor has an arcane spell failure chance, which doesn't apply to divine spellcasters.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-24, 06:17 PM
It's not a no brainer. Sorcerers get more spells/day *and* more spells known (which, with that small a number, is important).

I believe you are mistakend regarding the number of known spells as they are the same for both classes in the PHB and UA.

Mechanically I think it is particularly in a non PRC game. Consider the Spellcaster class versus the Sorcerer with no PRCs. Unless you are leveling up from first level the spellcasting really shouldn't be an issue. If it is perceived as an issue it can be addressed by class specials.

The Spellcaster gets 5 bonus feats in game to address any perceived weakness in the class compared to a sorcerer who gets a familiar and only loses a single level 9 spell casting at level 20.

So many options for those bonus feats:

At first level he could use his open bonus feat to take an Arcane Discipline or the Precocious Apprentice feat at level 1 for Scorching Ray to fuel the Reserve Feat Fiery Burst. This is a really good move in a leveling up game without Flaws using the retraining rules. The psionic Hidden Talent could be an option.

He gets feats at levels 5, 10, 15 and 20 which could be used to take a Dragon magazine Heritage feat (Celestial, Draconic, Fey or Fiendish) from Dragon magazine for an extra known spell at each level leaving 3 others for things like Turning, Evasion, Sorcererous Meta.

At level 5 a spellcaster could know 2 more spells a level than a comparable sorcerer (Other than a Kobold Sorcerer undergoing the ritual) one via a heritage heat and one limited to a single daily casting with an arcane discipline. Lots of good domains to choose from where it would be nice to have that extra single daily spellcastin.

IMO any variant a sorcerer can do trading in his familiar a spellcaster should be able to duplicate since he could summon a familiar if he wished.

The sorcerer can cast one more level nine spell than the spellcaster at level 20 but they both know the same number of spells.

For losing a single level 9 daily spellcasting at level 20 and choosing to lag a standard sorcerer in spellcasting ability (Because it could be so easily addressed with the class special bonus feats). The spellcaster PC gets the option to take spells from any list as known spells and doesn't have to do anything to do this.

He doesn't spend a feat or enter a PRC etc:

Really good spells like Miracle and Anyspell which give him a lot more utility and options in game including some arcane spells lower than normal if they can be found on other spellcasting lists like a level 3 Charm Monster from the Bard spell list plenty of others with all the source books compared to a sorcerer.

If he used his Intelligence as his primary casting ability he should have a base Intelligence of 20 or better just leveling using standard 25 point buy which translates to quite a few more skill points in game even if bought as cross class skills.

With PRCs from level 6+ it is a little grayer since the spellcaster would only get 2 feats at level 1 and 5. Divine Meta fueling with Turning is probably a good choice.

Just a few of my thoughts.