PDA

View Full Version : Hedging out the Competition (SoP)

SangoProduction
2020-04-08, 05:52 AM
Recently, I made a post, analyzing the class, that I felt was very subpar in SoP, the Shifter (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?609834-Building-Better-Beast-Boys-(SoP)). And I did that largely because I really wanted it to be good, but so many options were trash that it really felt like the entire class was trash. So, analyzing it really let me see what was good and bad, and where it could shine. I want to do the same with the Hedgewitch today (and possibly tomorrow, if I need to cool down from work, as I seem to need to do quite regularly).

Ranking system:
(S) Super: You always want this. It's awesome.
(G) Good: You would certainly not complain about having this, especially in the right builds / situations.
(B) Bad: While perhaps better than nothing, you are giving up something for it, so probably shouldn't without a good reason.
(N) No.
<Angle brackets> around a rating indicates situational usefulness, and how good it is in that favorable situation.

Class abilities:
They are all choices. All of them. So instead, we'll break them down by choice. Aside from her being a mid caster.

Paths (not secrets)Umbral (S+): Illusion specialized path. Except it takes the best, most class-defining features of the actual illusion specialized class, and lets you have them. And not only that, but this also grants you access to Surreal feats, which include Shadow Magic, which lets you flex in to basically every sphere.

Spiritualism (S): Grants her flex talents. Flex talents are really quite good, as it basically means you can always be prepared for any situation. It does require her to have the base spheres she wants to flex in to until at least 5th level.

Covenant (S): Pretend to be a paladin (and cleric). But without those pesky rules...and DM biases. Know what? It's an S for that alone. Let's go.

Black Magic (G-S): Curses, baby. Starts off as a sickened-like penalty, which can stack with sickened, and gets better from there. If you are looking to be a debuff bot, this is the way to go. Oh, and you can get Oracle Curse, which isn't nothing.

Exorcism ( <G-S> ): Grants some minor control to a particular creature type (chosen at the time of exorcising, rather than taking the feature, thankfully). Best case scenario, you fight outsiders and animated objects. Worst case scenario, you fight humanoids. The rating is based on best case scenario. It depends on campaign.

Transmuter (G-S): Become full caster for creation sphere, and can transmute things at a touch, which is unbelievably potent save or loses sorta deals. (But nerfed from when it was permanent.)

Academia (G): Gains a 1 spell point per 2 levels, which is equivalent of 3 general drawbacks, or 1 bonus feat every 4 levels. Also an extra secret at level 1 (which is worth 1 feat, optimistically). So, this path has the potential to make hedgemage really good at specializing in casting very expensive stuff, which might be cool, even at the 3/4 caster level.

Herbology (G): Grants Brew Potion equivalent, and access to special potions from Spheres of Power. Basically turns money in to a weapon. You also get some daily potions and / or poisons of reasonable potency. This is a quite solid and flexible path.

Green Magic (B-G): Animal companion, but the companion has a chance to be smarter than you. Congratulations.

Tinkerer (B-G): As it says on the tin, makes you better at being a pseudo-technician, and anti-trap stuff. Is it great? No. But it is what it is, and that isn't bad, as long as you make good plans to use it. I mean, it's got the worst part of technician, but still.

Astrology (B-G): Grants aura bonuses within 30 feet, individually rated. Only get 2 of the 4.
Star (G): Very minor bonus to perception and initiative. But only one person in the group needs to make perception for it to give away an ambush, and everyone getting initiative boost is nice, even if each individual boost is small.
Planet ( ): 5+level as cold or fire resistance. It's decent when the emergency calls for it.
Sun ( <B-G> ): If you've got martial fighters (particularly with huge # of attacks), it's not the worst thing you could do to boost damage.
Moon (N-B): Very minor toughness boosting.

[B]Charlatanism ( <B> ): The rogue-y, bard-y sub spec. For when your team is begging for one, but you don't want to play one.

Combat (B): Lets the witch pretend she's good at hitting things with sticks. Which, as you could probably predict, is less helpful than simply casting magic (especially as martial builds tend to benefit from specialization, and not generalization). But it's an option.

Font of Inspiration (B): For when you want to be batman, but only part time, and not really. Maybe you're just cat-man. You'd be more hygienic.

Temporal Traveler (N-B): Regains daily abilities by spending 2+ spell points on a sphere power / class ability. That's got synergy with Academia. Unfortunately, the abilities aren't too great.

General Secrets
Familiar (S): Bonus to perception and initiative, if properly chosen. Thus making this feat-equivalent (aka, secret) in to something better than improved initiative.

Magical Skill (G): Crafting feat, metamagic feat, or magic sphere. Basically exchanging the secret for a feat, again. But notably, you can take crafting feats, which makes this A better than Fetish.

Champion and Combat Talent (G): Trades the secret for a champion feat or combat talent. Not the worst thing you can do, if it fits the build.

Amateur Hedgewitch (N-B): Path benefits are much less useful than path powers, so this is spending a secret to access other secrets with limited. Could be needed, for some freaky build.

Poppet (N-B): Basically voodoo dolls, if you removed the recognizable name for the sake of not offending someone. Basically lets you target the doll in place of them, for the same effect. You'd have to be in a very particular campaign where the enemies very regularly get away and you have to fight them again. Even then, it only lets you convey 1 spell through it at no other advantage.

Fetish ( <N-B> ): This is basically for if your DM doesn't let you buy magic items, and you aren't allowed to take crating feats.

Path secrets (disregarding the path)
Umbral (S):
Shadow Sculptor (S): Shadow Magic feat is free flexing.
Touch of Darkness (G-S): Surreal feats empower Shadow Magic, and have some minor benefit
Shadowstuff (G): Bonus shadow points.
Eyes of Black ( <G> ): Scaling Darkvision, which can penetrate magic darkness with a shadow point.

Spiritualism: (S)
Extra Spirit (S): 2 more flexes a day.
Bodily Possession (G-S); Not many SoM talents are great to flex in to, but some are. And hey, it's yet more flexibility. Now you just need an encyclopedic knowledge of all your options.
Infuse Other ( <G> ): 2 uses to grant a flex to your friend. That's expensive. But oh so powerful.
Spiritualist Combatant (N): Instead of magic, gains very tiny bonuses to combat.

Transmuter: (G-S)
Practiced Transmutation (G-S): Increase size of objects that she may affect.
Ranged Transmutation (G-S): As the tin says.
Transformations (G): +2 uses of Transmutation.
Implanted Training (G??): gives animal training to objects. I mean, it's a use.

Black Magic: (G)
Curses (G): More curses per day. The curses are quite good if it's your shtick.
Hexcrafter (G): witch or shaman hex of choice. These run the gambit from bad to amazing. A standout hex could be Misfortune.

Academia: (G)
Academic Learning (G): Arcane discovery as a wizard. Just trading for feats again. But of particular interest could be Arcane Builder and Resilient Illusions.
Extra Spell Points (G): 2 spell points, which is worth 1 feat.
Scholarship ( <G> ): The bonus to knowledge is minor, but if you regularly use libraries, and time is an issue when doing so, and despite investing in a knowledge secret, you have untrained knowledge, then sure. It's worth it.

Covenant: (G)
Extra Healing (G-S): Extra Lay on Hands x2, which can also be used as Extra Channeling. Not the best feats, but if you're using them, this is a very efficient secret.
Channel feats (B-G): these feats aren't great, but if you want them...
Mercy (B-G): Again, not the best feats, but if you wanna role play a paladin...
Divine Portfolio (?) depends on domain selected

Exorcism ( <G-S> )
Warding Sanction (S): Become full caster with protection sphere wards. May cast both a ward and a sanction at the same time.
Subtle Sanction (S): If you're regularly uses the aura, then now you can do that and do other stuff, while also not being so obvious that it's you.
Threat of Force ( <S> ): If you have a bunch of martial types with you, who don't already flank, this is good. If you have a bunch of rogues who are lone wolves, this is excellent.
Rattling Sanction (G-S): Gives a nonlethal blast that bypasses immunities while you have your aura going. And can be AoE for a spell point.
Enduring Exorcism (G): +6 rounds a day. That's pretty efficient if you're running out.
Kinslayer ( <G> ): Against your own type, +2 DC. Potent. Now if only you weren't humanoid. Immediately goes to S++ if you are of the dominant type in your campaign, and that type is strongly affected by the sanction.
Nemesis Sanction (G?) A single target entangle. But...very few details on how it works.

Herbology: (B)
Alchemy: alchemist discovery. Not generally that great.
Extra Concoctions (G). +2 per day. Not bad, as you can easily run out if you pass them around.
Store Potion (G): Lets you trade your action in drinking a potion for someone else's. Except you can't reduce your action here. But if you're determined on using potions in combat, then this is for you.
Swift Poison ( <G> ): Move action instead of standard to apply poison. It's an improvement. Not enough of one, in my opinion. But if poisoning weapons mid-combat is your gig...
Potent Concoctions (B): They last 1 hour per level, rather than 1 hour. I mean, sure. Gives you more room for error, but it's already an hour. If you can't determine your arena within an hour of using it, that's probably on you.
Surgeon (N): There's literally the life sphere. If you're so concerned, take a level of incanter for the bonus talents.

Green Magic: (B-)
Share Health (G): Basically better toughness.
Animal Companion (B): Lets you maintain the power of your smarty pants companion despite multiclassing.
Share Senses (B): I mean, it's not the worst scouting ability, if you've the right animal companion. But that then requires a scouting animal companion, and this secret, which is probably too much cost.
Animal Friend (N-B) Wildlife rarely have anything of interest to say. Especially not a specific kind.

Tinker: (B)
Insightful (G): Lets you pick the insights from technician. You don't get the full benefits as you don't have inventions, but still.
Trap Spotter ( <G> ): Really, this should be standard for trap finding. But if it's not...
Extra Gadgets (N): Gadgets are really insubstantial. I could not recommend before you get insights that grant good gadgets.

Astrology: (N)
Celestial Revelation (?): Select a type of oracle mystery. Meh.
Extra Aura (N): So if you have the path power, you had to choose 2 of 4. This adds 1 more. The remaining two are bad.
Heavan's Reach (N): +10 feet to radius of aura. That's really pathetic, especially for these auras.
Wax and Wane (N): You are now a glorified night light. Congratulations.

Charlatanism: (N)
Exceptional Skill (G): It's not like hedgewitch has a *bad* number of skill ranks. And if you're really determined to make a skill monkey hedgewitch, here's your chance.
Extra Guile (N): Whoopdiedoo. Another 2 times a day to gain +2 to a skill check, or weak sneak attack.
Evasion (B): I wouldn't spend a feat on this, but you do you.
Great Performances (B): I probably just underrate bard, but you probably need a particular group to make this worth your action, let alone your secret.
Trickery (<G>) : Vanilla Rogue talents suck. Some spheres of power rogue talents are good.
Trapfinding (<G>): This is exclusively good if you are made to be the trap monkey.
Versatile Performance (N): Really kinda sucks.

Combat: (N) Nothing of usefulness here.

Temporal Traveler (N): No.

Font Of Inspiration (N): No.

Archetypes:
Triple Goddess (S): If life, death, and/or fate spheres are a part of your plan, then this is a great path to take. (Yes, it only replaces a path.)
Maiden, Mother, Crone (S+): 2 bonus talents, and 3 spheres as full caster, and can flex a talent at lvl 10. Fate isn't great, but Life and Death are really quite good.
Thread of Life (B): very few uses per day, affects the luck of people.

Iron Mage (S): If you like to hit things by proxy, then this is the path for you.
Military Tradition ( <S> ): Bonus sphere, full caster in war, and a free proficiency / equipment talent. War isn't the best sphere out there, but if you want it, and want to be a hedgewitch, this is the go-to.
Authority (G-S): Secondary pool of resources that regenerates by beating the ship out of others. Make sure to have someone deal nonlethal damage, and use some healing so you can regenerate your authority with ease. Or carry around a bag of chickens and cast an AoE nonlethal blast when you run out.
Commands (S): Spend authority on boosts to War talents. Some are better than others, but even the worse ones have their place.
Secrets (G): Can let you use CAM with a particular weapon, gain stalwart, or increase max authority by 2. None of which are bad choices if you plan to use them.
Grand Secret: High Alert is basically the only thing of real note, but Lead From The Front essentially negates the fact that she has 3/4 BAB, if you're up in peoples' faces.

Martial Hedgewitch ( <S> ): Gain martial tradition and low progression in combat talents. Nothing spectacular, but as only one path, that's not bad on its own, a solid B-G, as combat talents aren't nearly as good as magic talents, but you get a fair few.
But where Martial Hedgewitch can really shine is when paired with Iron Mage. This is because of Strike (rally) which...oh, it was nerfed in USoP. Hard. OK, for good reason, yes. But still, it's an immediate action to make you use a combat maneuver (not grapple) a second time in a round.

Entropic Sage (B): Yay. You are a fancy monk in one path. Which is better than monk, true, but still.
Enlightenment in Oblivion (N): An excuse to take Somatic drawback x2. But that's less spell points than Academic path. Oh, and you get Destruction sphere (not full caster, unless you slap them with your fist), and you are stuck with, instead of touch attacks from range, punching someone in melee with a 1d4 fleshy palm. On a caster's hit dice.
Secrets (B): Ki powers, which tend to be worse than basically every talent. And Style Secret, of which a few are cool, but require rather high levels to even qualify for.

Dragonblooded Mortal (N): Literally just take a level of Incanter, and take Alteration talents. (Or check out my homebrew, inspired by the absolute failure of this archetype....which I got bored of and stopped updating years ago.)

Dendrite (N): Forces you to take traditions, and only grants 1 language and a (grand) secret. You don't even get your choice of paths. At least with the above archetypes, you could feel like a pretty snowflake and make a like Black Dragon Mage. or whatever.

Hunter Noventa
2020-04-08, 10:18 AM
I'm playing a Herbology/Spiritualist Hadgewitch in a P6 campaign right now, and the flexibility is great when you're also the party healer, and don't want to take talents to cure things that don't come up as often. And the mini-potions make great out of combat healing too.

I think I cam up with a half dozen different Hedgewitches too, before I realized the party would have no healer. It's probably my favorite SoP class, and I'm looking forward to some more dissections from you. Are you considering looking at the archetypes too?

KatsOfLoathing
2020-04-08, 03:25 PM
Hedgewitch is easily one of my favorite classes in SoP. So easy to make new character concepts all off the same chassis. Some thoughts:

Paths stuff

I'm not entirely positive that Umbral is a stronger path than Spiritualism. They're easily the top 2 for certain, but I personally think it's up in the air for which one is more versatile. Spiritualism usually takes more setup, but it's not as gimped by resource costs and CL scaling as Umbral. I dunno. I guess you could go either way.
Covenant is good, but not S-tier good to me, per your own ranking. I'd give it a solid G. It's basically just healing + detect evil, which is nice and always helpful, but your healing isn't really any better than Herbology, and you don't get that path's Brew Potion+ abilities. And Covenant definitely doesn't have the combat presence of Black Magic or Exorcism, which you both ranked as straddling the G-S line.
Transmuter should probably note that the full-caster benefits only apply to (create) effects. Though the path power basically makes that a moot point, I guess.
I agree that Tinker starts off subpar, but it improves a lot with time. I personally think the path's main benefit is being able to select technician insights, a lot of which are really nice (and you can actually get more of them than an actual technician can, thanks to Extra Secret). Gadgets can be surprisingly versatile if you're willing to sink some build resources in them. And then you hit tenth level and make your own invention, which can be a pet golem or flying car or mech suit or whatever you want. It's a serious power boost.
I think you're underrating Charlatanism and Combat. Charlatanism basically turns you into a rogue without any of the sucky parts of being a rogue, and then you can splash out into rogue talents (and ninja tricks, and slayer talents), or bardic stuff. It's a very versatile skill-monkey package with very little opportunity or resource costs. Combat is a little more bland, but Arcane Pool is legit, and some of the path's secrets are really nice. Both of these paths have a lot of synergy with the Martial archetype.

Secrets stuff

I think you're underrating Amateur Hedgewitch too. Most path benefits are kinda crummy, but the ones that are good (Academia, Combat, Herbology, Spiritualism, maybe Black Magic) are definitely worth the cost, and even the weaker ones can be bonus magic talents and/or build enablers.
Implanted Training feels too finnicky for me to deserve a G. The ability doesn't specify you can actually control animals you transmute, so you're forced to lather more magic/resources/time on top to get them to actually do anything for you.
Misfortune shouldn't be a top choice for Hexcrafter. Black Magic's 5th-level upgrade does the same thing, but better. Flight, Fortune, Slumber, and Tongues would be some of my recommendations.
I'd probably give Divine Portfolio a <B>. Most 1st-level domain powers are meh, but the few that are good are really good, and they can open up to the stronger 8th-level powers.
Celestial Revelation can give you flight via Lure of the Heavens. That alone makes it G-S in my book. The rest of the available choices aren't as great, though I do like Guiding Star and Star Chart.
Great Performance gives you three abilities that are individually pretty situational, but combined give you two new ways to protect your allies in combat and a third ability that can steamroll certain out-of-combat problems and greatly smooth out others. The usage-per-day is pretty generous, too.
I have no clue how you're rating Versatile Performance that low. It's basically free skill points if you plan your build accordingly, and if you don't like that for whatever reason you can trade it out for free weapon proficiencies or a bardic masterpiece, most of which are bad but have some bright spots.
Likewise, I have no idea why you completely skipped out on Combat's Greater Aid secret, at the very least. Aid Another is really easy to optimize, and this makes it even more powerful. Combined with the Swift Aid feat you can toss out bonuses to your allies all day long.
Font of Inspiration is a crummy path, but some of its secrets are pretty legit. Prescient Dodger is I-can't-believe-it's-not-Unarmored-Training, and Investigative Knack can get you full CL with Mind, Divination, and/or Enhancement, plus other goodies. The latter would probably be my chief motivator for taking this path.

I assume you're going to come back around for grand secrets, archetypes, and a few paths that you missed. Magonian is probably too tied into its setting to be effective outside of it, and Tempest-Tost is weird and extremely hard to rate, but I'd be interested to see your thoughts on Dreamwalker.

EDIT: Gosh, I really did ramble on for a while, huh? My apologies.

SangoProduction
2020-04-08, 04:47 PM
I'm playing a Herbology/Spiritualist Hadgewitch in a P6 campaign right now, and the flexibility is great when you're also the party healer, and don't want to take talents to cure things that don't come up as often. And the mini-potions make great out of combat healing too.

I think I cam up with a half dozen different Hedgewitches too, before I realized the party would have no healer. It's probably my favorite SoP class, and I'm looking forward to some more dissections from you. Are you considering looking at the archetypes too?

I will, indeed do archetypes. I will simply do it at the end of this day to cool down.

Hedgewitch is easily one of my favorite classes in SoP. So easy to make new character concepts all off the same chassis. Some thoughts:

Paths stuff

I'm not entirely positive that Umbral is a stronger path than Spiritualism. They're easily the top 2 for certain, but I personally think it's up in the air for which one is more versatile. Spiritualism usually takes more setup, but it's not as gimped by resource costs and CL scaling as Umbral. I dunno. I guess you could go either way.
Covenant is good, but not S-tier good to me, per your own ranking. I'd give it a solid G. It's basically just healing + detect evil, which is nice and always helpful, but your healing isn't really any better than Herbology, and you don't get that path's Brew Potion+ abilities. And Covenant definitely doesn't have the combat presence of Black Magic or Exorcism, which you both ranked as straddling the G-S line.
Transmuter should probably note that the full-caster benefits only apply to (create) effects. Though the path power basically makes that a moot point, I guess.
I agree that Tinker starts off subpar, but it improves a lot with time. I personally think the path's main benefit is being able to select technician insights, a lot of which are really nice (and you can actually get more of them than an actual technician can, thanks to Extra Secret). Gadgets can be surprisingly versatile if you're willing to sink some build resources in them. And then you hit tenth level and make your own invention, which can be a pet golem or flying car or mech suit or whatever you want. It's a serious power boost.
I think you're underrating Charlatanism and Combat. Charlatanism basically turns you into a rogue without any of the sucky parts of being a rogue, and then you can splash out into rogue talents (and ninja tricks, and slayer talents), or bardic stuff. It's a very versatile skill-monkey package with very little opportunity or resource costs. Combat is a little more bland, but Arcane Pool is legit, and some of the path's secrets are really nice. Both of these paths have a lot of synergy with the Martial archetype.

Secrets stuff

I think you're underrating Amateur Hedgewitch too. Most path benefits are kinda crummy, but the ones that are good (Academia, Combat, Herbology, Spiritualism, maybe Black Magic) are definitely worth the cost, and even the weaker ones can be bonus magic talents and/or build enablers.
Implanted Training feels too finnicky for me to deserve a G. The ability doesn't specify you can actually control animals you transmute, so you're forced to lather more magic/resources/time on top to get them to actually do anything for you.
Misfortune shouldn't be a top choice for Hexcrafter. Black Magic's 5th-level upgrade does the same thing, but better. Flight, Fortune, Slumber, and Tongues would be some of my recommendations.
I'd probably give Divine Portfolio a <B>. Most 1st-level domain powers are meh, but the few that are good are really good, and they can open up to the stronger 8th-level powers.
Celestial Revelation can give you flight via Lure of the Heavens. That alone makes it G-S in my book. The rest of the available choices aren't as great, though I do like Guiding Star and Star Chart.
Great Performance gives you three abilities that are individually pretty situational, but combined give you two new ways to protect your allies in combat and a third ability that can steamroll certain out-of-combat problems and greatly smooth out others. The usage-per-day is pretty generous, too.
I have no clue how you're rating Versatile Performance that low. It's basically free skill points if you plan your build accordingly, and if you don't like that for whatever reason you can trade it out for free weapon proficiencies or a bardic masterpiece, most of which are bad but have some bright spots.
Likewise, I have no idea why you completely skipped out on Combat's Greater Aid secret, at the very least. Aid Another is really easy to optimize, and this makes it even more powerful. Combined with the Swift Aid feat you can toss out bonuses to your allies all day long.
Font of Inspiration is a crummy path, but some of its secrets are pretty legit. Prescient Dodger is I-can't-believe-it's-not-Unarmored-Training, and Investigative Knack can get you full CL with Mind, Divination, and/or Enhancement, plus other goodies. The latter would probably be my chief motivator for taking this path.

I assume you're going to come back around for grand secrets, archetypes, and a few paths that you missed. Magonian is probably too tied into its setting to be effective outside of it, and Tempest-Tost is weird and extremely hard to rate, but I'd be interested to see your thoughts on Dreamwalker.

EDIT: Gosh, I really did ramble on for a while, huh? My apologies.

Great, well explained feedback. (Although I thought the covenant being S tier was an obvious meme.) And I intentionally left out the really wordy, and campaign specific paths. Especially Dreamwalker, which basically forces your DM to create a second world for you, and you alone.

KatsOfLoathing
2020-04-08, 05:44 PM
Great, well explained feedback. (Although I thought the covenant being S tier was an obvious meme.) And I intentionally left out the really wordy, and campaign specific paths. Especially Dreamwalker, which basically forces your DM to create a second world for you, and you alone.
Dreamwalker is strange, but it also offers a number of abilities and benefits that no other class in the game can easily replicate. You can use it for long-distance communication, spying, item storage, travel, crowd control, and many other possibilities for the creative besides.

If you really want to get cheesy about it, it also turns you into the fastest magic-item crafter in the game, able to work on your projects literally anywhere outside of combat and dungeon exploration, and while sleeping. It gets even sillier once you get access to grand secrets and Subjective Time rears its ugly head.

Overall, it kinda seems like a GM option at first, but there's a lot you can do with it if you're willing to think outside the box.

SangoProduction
2020-04-08, 10:06 PM
OK done with the archetypes.

KatsOfLoathing
2020-04-08, 10:49 PM
OK done with the archetypes.

Mostly agreed with your ratings here, but you're massively underrating Entropic Sage. Properly built and optimized, it makes Hedgewitch into one of the most powerful striker classes in the game. You get full CL to Destruction when using Energy Strike and unarmed strike damage as a monk half your level. Paired with the Covenant path and Anathema feats, you can put 20d6 damage on the table at level 10, for a single standard action. It also combines well the Martial path to make you an effective unarmed gish, and USoP generally made Strike talents a lot better and more streamlined, if you want to branch into other spheres.

SangoProduction
2020-04-08, 10:59 PM
Mostly agreed with your ratings here, but you're massively underrating Entropic Sage. Properly built and optimized, it makes Hedgewitch into one of the most powerful striker classes in the game. You get full CL to Destruction when using Energy Strike and unarmed strike damage as a monk half your level. Paired with the Covenant path and Anathema feats, you can put 20d6 damage on the table at level 10, for a single standard action. It also combines well the Martial path to make you an effective unarmed gish, and USoP generally made Strike talents a lot better and more streamlined, if you want to branch into other spheres.

OK, I did miss that it does bump you up to full caster. But Anathema feats aren't directly related to the archetype. You could do the same deal with Incanter, but with more talents, more options for delivering your anathema/destruction-empowered hit, and you can change your blast shape without losing 1/4 of your effective caster level.

Entropic Sage is extremely one-note, even when optimized. But I'll bump it up a tier, as I did miss that it does grant situational full caster levels.