PDA

View Full Version : Maps and more [DM Help]

Shadowbane13
2020-04-08, 06:02 AM
I'm currently running a long campaign and for the past couple sessions, my players have been asking for some sort of visual for the towns and cities so they can try and pick where they want to go. Not that they have struggled with finding locations, just a visual aid is probably going to make things simpler. I was wonder what map generators or makers you guys use? I've used inkarnate before to make the world map but its a bit more tricky to make cities and towns with. I've googled some options but none have really gotten my idea across plus some are i am able to modify so names and such are not what I want on there. Thanks for the help guys.

Lyracian
2020-04-08, 06:41 AM
visual aid is probably going to make things simpler. I was wonder what map generators or makers you guys use?
Not an actual generator but dysonlogos.blog/maps has lots of stuff you can use.

DMJosh
2020-04-08, 07:10 AM
Whenever I need a generator, I usually start here (https://www.masterthedungeon.com/resources/generators/)... a much easier collection to navigate than Google search results.

I second the Dyson Logos maps. I've used them in the past too, and some are available to purchase for commercial use as well, if you're into that kind of thing.

Sam113097
2020-04-08, 11:33 AM
I'm a big fan of this free Medieval Fantasy City Generator (https://watabou.itch.io/medieval-fantasy-city-generator) which allows you to select/add a variety of features when you generate a city, and lets you add names, districts, or a numbered key. It also has a number of color palettes and styles.

My WIP setting, linked below, has an example of a simple village map I made with it.

opaopajr
2020-04-09, 01:06 PM
I use Crayola Crayons. Nope, not joking. :smallsmile: Stickers are a nice touch, too.

Part of the advantage is that it can be rough like typical unprofessional and medieval maps. Second, cheap and easy and deliberately imprecise. Third, it is a lot of fun!

It still gives spatial representation without being an overwhelming engineering survey. Sometimes just getting it done is more important than the perfection. That and you can just take a photo .jpeg .pdf later and overlay graphs and hex mapping to future copies, if you wish.