PDA

View Full Version : Ochre Jellies can't escape a Forcecage

Mr Adventurer
2020-04-08, 08:07 AM
Ochre Jellies have Amorphous, which allows them to move through gaps as small as 1". But Forcecage specifies "a creature inside the cage can't leave it by nonmagical means". Just another point in favour of the mighty Forcecage, I guess!

TIPOT
2020-04-08, 09:36 AM
But it's a magical ooze, you could make a reasonable argument that the amorphous ability is a magical ability so it would be leaving the cage through magical means.

Deathtongue
2020-04-08, 10:05 AM
But it's a magical ooze, you could make a reasonable argument that the amorphous ability is a magical ability so it would be leaving the cage through magical means.Funnily enough, the Sage Advice FAQ WRT the Anti-Magic Field spell says that just because a creature is magical and does something that's not mundane (like a dragon breathing fire) the entity isn't magical. I could see a DM ruling either way on this, even though I'd expect most DMs to let the ooze escape through the bars.

Of course, oozes are chump monsters in 5E D&D by the time you get Forcecage, so c'est la vie.

Keltest
2020-04-08, 10:08 AM
According to the SRD, forcecage's bars, when used in that form, are only 1/2 inch apart, so even if the DM rules it as magical means, it still wouldn't allow them to get out. Its simply too fine of a space for them to thread.

Chronos
2020-04-08, 11:58 AM
OK, then, insect swarms.

I think that the intention was just that they're bars, and saying that creatures can't get through was implicitly assuming creatures bigger than a half-inch.

Cry Havoc
2020-04-08, 12:01 PM
Ochre Jellies have Amorphous, which allows them to move through gaps as small as 1". But Forcecage specifies "a creature inside the cage can't leave it by nonmagical means". Just another point in favour of the mighty Forcecage, I guess!

Unless it's small enough to get through the bars of course. Presuming you use a barred cage.

Mr Adventurer
2020-04-08, 12:15 PM
But it's a magical ooze, you could make a reasonable argument that the amorphous ability is a magical ability so it would be leaving the cage through magical means.

An Ochre Jelly isn't magical in any way.

Of course, oozes are chump monsters in 5E D&D by the time you get Forcecage, so c'est la vie.

Bounded Accuracy! ;-)

According to the SRD, forcecage's bars, when used in that form, are only 1/2 inch apart, so even if the DM rules it as magical means, it still wouldn't allow them to get out. Its simply too fine of a space for them to thread.

Dang, I didn't pay attention to that part, there goes my whole thread

Thanks for the correction

OK, then, insect swarms.

I think that the intention was just that they're bars, and saying that creatures can't get through was implicitly assuming creatures bigger than a half-inch.

Hard to say, with such a sweeping prohibition to leaving non-magically.

But yes, insect swarms. Creatures in a gaseous form would also qualify.

Unless it's small enough to get through the bars of course. Presuming you use a barred cage.

Ochre Jellies are Large.

Yes, the cage version.

Cry Havoc
2020-04-08, 12:39 PM
An Ochre Jelly isn't magical in any way.

Ochre Jellies are Large.

Yes, the cage version.

I know they're large, but they can squeeze down to being small enough to get through the bars.

Same deal if you Forcecaged a fly.

Willie the Duck
2020-04-08, 01:14 PM
Bounded Accuracy! ;-)

There are clearly limits to how universally that design ethos has been applied. It really only seems to apply to numeric concerns (for example, you are unlikely to get an AC so high that the monsters you face at first level cannot hit you). There are plenty of monsters that can be defeated by force cage, or even a simple Fly spell.

That said, Force Cage (and force effects in general) are sometimes seen as problematic specifically because they are hard stops against certain opponents (or anyone who has run out of specific resources). It is interesting that they didn't change force effects to have AC and hit points, such that an ochre jelly or ogre (or champion fighter) couldn't brute force their way out. There certainly is genre fiction where a strong enough something overloads a force field and ruptures it.

sithlordnergal
2020-04-08, 02:46 PM
Bounded Accuracy! ;-)

I mean...bounded accuracy doesn't matter much in this case. Bounded Accuracy is less of a "This CR 2 should be able to counter a 7th level spell" and more of a "If I had enough peasants, they could kill that level 13 Wizard."