PDA

View Full Version : Goolock tactics

AttilatheYeon
2020-04-08, 11:55 AM
Hi all, so saturday, i'm playing my goolock Cthulu Jones in Hidden Shrine from TftYP. My main tactic in combat is to open up with Hungar of Hadar, then using EB with repelling blast to keep bosses in the HoH while my party takes care of the adds. I just traded for winged boots.

My question: should i swap out repelling blast for Grasp of Hadar? Repelling blas will almost guarantee that i can keep the boss in HoH. While GoH will do more damage while keeping some control.

So which innvocation should i take?

firelistener
2020-04-08, 01:27 PM
Without getting meta on what you'll fight specifically in TftYP, I'd say stick with repelling blast. It gives you the chance to effectively disengage with an attack by pushing an enemy away, whereas Grasp of Hadar has no use if the enemy is already near you.

Having both might be a really great strategy if you want to keep using Hunger of Hadar a lot.

kazaryu
2020-04-08, 01:33 PM
Hi all, so saturday, i'm playing my goolock Cthulu Jones in Hidden Shrine from TftYP. My main tactic in combat is to open up with Hungar of Hadar, then using EB with repelling blast to keep bosses in the HoH while my party takes care of the adds. I just traded for winged boots.

My question: should i swap out repelling blast for Grasp of Hadar? Repelling blas will almost guarantee that i can keep the boss in HoH. While GoH will do more damage while keeping some control.

So which innvocation should i take?

how does grasp of hadar give more damage?

Segev
2020-04-08, 01:48 PM
I think it's either on the Goolock or the general Warlock spell list; Tasha's hideous laughter is a great boss-killer. Or at least -negator.

stoutstien
2020-04-08, 02:00 PM
how does grasp of hadar give more damage?

I think he's going to use the UFO abduction and drop tactics.

Yakmala
2020-04-08, 02:22 PM
Think about picking up a Cantrip like Create Bonfire, which will allow you to use a similar tactic to Repelling Blast/HoH once your very limited pool of spell slots is exhausted.

loki_ragnarock
2020-04-08, 02:36 PM
Invocation:
Devil's Sight

Now your entire party can walk around in the dark. Just use your ability to communicate telepathically (and thus in perfect silence) to co-ordinate the movements of your entire party. Sure, some enemies have dark vision, but with a sight line of 120ft there's a good chance you can see further than they can. No torches in the dark, just subtly, suddenly happen to people, collectively.

Crgaston
2020-04-08, 02:40 PM
Think about picking up a Cantrip like Create Bonfire, which will allow you to use a similar tactic to Repelling Blast/HoH once your very limited pool of spell slots is exhausted.

This, plus if you have melee attackers with a powerful strike like a Rogue or Paladin, Dissonant Whispers can cause an enemy flee and draw an Attack of Opportunity. Could be useful in places where you don't want to turn the entire room into a tentacle-inhabited void.

To actually answer your question, no. Don't get rid of Repelling Blast, for reasons cogently stated by many above.

AttilatheYeon
2020-04-13, 02:00 AM
So we played Hidden Shrine. The Repelling Blast was ok, but Grasp of Hadar wouldn't have been better. To be fair, Repelling Blast would have been better if one of the other warlocks didn't use Wall of Force to keep mobs in my Hungar of Hadar.

I dinged 7th level, so now i'm going to have Evards Black Tenticles. So i think repelling blast will be very good for me.

Thanks all for the advice.